Sign in to follow this  
airwolfe

AS2012 - Should I install XGauge ?

I just picked up a copy of AS2012 this weekend and was wondering if I should install the XGauge add-on that comes with AS2012. Is this recommended or will it cause problems with NGX ?Thanks!

Morgan,I installed AS2012 Xgauge .. no problems with any aircraft.

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I have to have XGauge installed in order to use my networked config, so I have it installed with no issues. It's just an external gauge that will be added to your panel config so that you can call it up for a weather radar (or as a gauge to request weather updates in networks). I used append mode. They say insert mode is more recommended, but that's only if you'll want to pull it up using a shift command. I used append as I don't use the gauge to display anything. I just need it running in the background.

Kyle Rodgers

I have to have XGauge installed in order to use my networked config, so I have it installed with no issues. It's just an external gauge that will be added to your panel config so that you can call it up for a weather radar (or as a gauge to request weather updates in networks). I used append mode. They say insert mode is more recommended, but that's only if you'll want to pull it up using a shift command. I used append as I don't use the gauge to display anything. I just need it running in the background.
Ok, I don't know much about XGauge and I did not want it jacking up my aircraft's .cfg files. Are you running AS 2012 networked for a reason ? Does it take a load off of your main FS PC ? I have some fairly powerful PCs (in parts) that I could assemble and run networked if it makes a big difference. That may be stepping a bit above my comfort level though. Anyhow, thanks for the replies !

Ok, I don't know much about XGauge and I did not want it jacking up my aircraft's .cfg files. Are you running AS 2012 networked for a reason ? Does it take a load off of your main FS PC ? I have some fairly powerful PCs (in parts) that I could assemble and run networked if it makes a big difference. That may be stepping a bit above my comfort level though. Anyhow, thanks for the replies !
Understandable. I'm always hesitant to install 3rd party stuff into my other 3rd party aircraft. It's just an extra [Window] entry in the panel.cfg. I believe it backs the file up, too (I'd say that's pretty standard among reputable developers around here nowadays).Running peripherals on a networked PC allows me to leave my FS computer to its primary task of FSX. All that's running on my FSX comp when I'm flying is FSX with registered FSUIPC. The networked comp runs WideFS, ActiveSky and Squawkbox (with the ancillaries: Chrome for charts, TOPCAT for T/O landing, and so on). I doubt it makes a huge difference, but I got the computer for gaming. Why not use this one to give it a job to do, too? If it helps, great. If not, oh well.

Kyle Rodgers

Only thing Xgauge installer does is to install by default to panel #5 in all your aircraft. Then you just setup a shortcut for it. Very useful and you can keep it open the entire flight if you want cause it has 0 effect on FPS. Very useful if you want a weather radar and be able to instantly see Turbulence, Rain, ATIS, and Altimeter info at your Arrival, Enroute and Destination.

Look in the ASE Docs:

X Gauge needs to be installed into the FSX/FS9 installation.[...]ASE, when running, will automatically update the imagery as requested by X Gauge, even when on the other computer.
Having a second look at that text, though, it could also mean that XGauge only needs to be installed over there if you want to use it. Earlier, I took it to mean that it's what requests weather updates. Seems like I'm mistaken. Edited by scandinavian13

Kyle Rodgers

I just thought I may have been cutting some functionality off in my set up, as I too try to run as much as I can on my laptop, which includes Active Sky. I had installed X-gauge, a long time ago, but after my last two fresh installs of FSX, I have omitted installing it on the main FSX machine. I just never used it, so figured why bother putting it there to never get touched.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

I love as2012 but have never really messed much with xgauge. I wonder if it would be possible to use the data from xgauge to model the weather radar on the NGX? Could it be done with the SDK? Seems like a good solution to the accuracy problems presented with modeling an accurate weather radar...Cheers!

I love as2012 but have never really messed much with xgauge.I wonder if it would be possible to use the data from xgauge to model the weather radar on the NGX? Could it be done with the SDK? Seems like a good solution to the accuracy problems presented with modeling an accurate weather radar...Cheers!
That would be cool if that could be done.. If it's possible I would pay extra for that.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I just thought I may have been cutting some functionality off in my set up, as I too try to run as much as I can on my laptop, which includes Active Sky.I had installed X-gauge, a long time ago, but after my last two fresh installs of FSX, I have omitted installing it on the main FSX machine. I just never used it, so figured why bother putting it there to never get touched.
"I just never used it, so figured why bother putting it there to never get touched."Initially that is what I thought also.Have you ever wanted to get destination ATIS while enroute?With Xgauge you can. That is reason enough for me.I have AS2012 on a networked PC in another room ... that PC has the weather AS2012 Wx map, which I cannot see ... so Xgauge on the Main FS PC is again useful for displaying a lot of Wx data during the flight ...Use it, I am sure you will like it.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I have AS2012 running on my laptop, which I also use for charts, so I use that to get the weather. But it does sound appealing using a gauge within the flight deck to get weather updates. I may just go and give it another shot.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

I have AS2012 running on my laptop, which I also use for charts, so I use that to get the weather. But it does sound appealing using a gauge within the flight deck to get weather updates. I may just go and give it another shot.
I noticed a lot of people are using it on a separate computer, like you are on your laptop. Do you have to install it on both your simulator machine and the laptop and network them somehow ? I haven't dug into this at all.