Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Go Around Procedures

Is there any checklist out there that explains how to perform a go around? I'd like to do a couple, but I have no idea how. Do you engage the TOGA again or what?
Is that not covered in your FCOM? TOGA, check for a positive rate of climb, accelerate to clean speed or Vref + 20 My Boeing knowledge is now corrupt but I would be surprised if the answers you require are not sitting on your hard drive courtesy of PMDGRegards

Rob Prest

Ok Rob, I'll take a look at them.
Check the Flight Crew Training Manual, Section 5.83 "Missed Approach Procedures" PDF page: 259

Is that not covered in your FCOM? TOGA, check for a positive rate of climb, accelerate to clean speed or Vref + 20My Boeing knowledge is now corrupt but I would be surprised if the answers you require are not sitting on your hard drive courtesy of PMDGRegards
That's exactly what I was going to say.

Kyle Rodgers

in that subject, i have noticed a lot of touch and go that the pilots are calling for V1 vR and V2, how do they know the V1 and the rotate, further the V2? it's not illuminate on the PFD, thanks.

in that subject, i have noticed a lot of touch and go that the pilots are calling for V1 vR and V2, how do they know the V1 and the rotate, further the V2? it's not illuminate on the PFD, thanks.
Well, V1 is a decision speed for taking off or not, and on a go-around, you're already in the air, so that speed is worthless.Vr is the speed at which you rotate to get airborne, and you're already airborne, so that speed is worthless.V2 is the safe engine out speed (for the given weight) and I could be slightly off here, but Vref is 1.3 * VSR (stall), whereas V2 is 1.13 * VSR, so V2 is superceded by Vref (you just use Vref in place of V2). Follow the flap retract schedule that is calculated for you as you retract your flaps.

Kyle Rodgers

Well, V1 is a decision speed for taking off or not, and on a go-around, you're already in the air, so that speed is worthless.Vr is the speed at which you rotate to get airborne, and you're already airborne, so that speed is worthless.V2 is the safe engine out speed (for the given weight) and I could be slightly off here, but Vref is 1.3 * VSR (stall), whereas V2 is 1.13 * VSR, so V2 is superceded by Vref (you just use Vref in place of V2). Follow the flap retract schedule that is calculated for you as you retract your flaps.
To elaborate a little further...V2 is the best rate of climb speed in the takeoff configuration gear up, whileVT (VFTO) is the best rate of climb speed cleanWe calculate these speeds for each takeoff AND landing (in case of a go-around, single-engine or all engines turning).I have never seen V2 be less than Vref. It is typically about 5 kts higher than Vref. I'm not sure where the V2=1.13VSR came from, but that doesn't appear to be correct.

To be fair I think the responses are to the original poster and not to you hijacking the thread ;)

Good video here from Just Planes on a crew doing touch-and-go in B747-400 during a training flight. Gives some hints at the procedure. Keep engines spooled up, flaps to take-off setting, reset the trim, then take-off thrust.

To be fair I think the responses are to the original poster and not to you hijacking the thread ;)
LOL... sorry about that poster(:

I have never seen V2 be less than Vref. It is typically about 5 kts higher than Vref. I'm not sure where the V2=1.13VSR came from, but that doesn't appear to be correct.
I grabbed it from some forum post in PPrune, and I'd take your word over theirs. Since I use InPrivate at client sites during my break to make sure I'm not saving any data to their machines, I can't find the post anymore, unfortunately.

Kyle Rodgers