Sign in to follow this  
Gibbage

Some things MS can do to make Flight better.

PLEASE KEEP THIS PC! It may be asking too much at this point, but I think people with valid critique should have a place to put them. If you hate Flight, thats fine! At least tell the developers WHY, and base it off of FACT and not emotion.First, I have been a supporter of Flight for years. We all know that, but there are many things that I feel can make Flight BETTER. I understand some people here like to spend 10 hours flying a 747 fron NY to London and thats fine. Flight is not for you. Move on.First. The CLOUDS! My GOD the CLOUDS are BAD!!!! When the Flight Conditions are set to "fair weather" it looks really bad. The clouds are all the same shape, same size, and spread evenly over the sky. THIS NEVER HAPPENS IN NATURE! The very nature of clouds are there random shapes and size!!! Thats why every kid loves to look at clouds as they pass by and make out shapes. I tried the same thing in Flight, and all I saw was "cotton ball, cotton ball, another cotton ball". Dense Fox, and Among the Giants is GREAT, but why the cotton balls in fair weather? Thats my biggest gripe by far. FSX clouds are not much better, but the add-ons like REX really puts Flight to shame.Second. No AI aircraft. Multi-player is limited, so not a lot of people join. Without that, the sky's are empty. Thats just dull. When flying GA's in real life, one of the biggest task's is to keep an eye out for other GA's. Your head is constantly moving around! Third. TiR Support!!!!! PLEASE! The mouse look is really nice, and the hat works on the stick, but TiR really helps draw in the pilot. It also frees up my hand and allows me to enjoy the scenery more. Fourth. Why force people to do the first two missions? Some of us know how to fly already. Please let us be able to exit that and move onto free flight mode without being led around like a little child in day care. I think MS is pissing off more "hard core" simmers by forcing them to dodge balloons and land next too a boat for a wedding party. Please feel free to add, but if you just want to complain about how much you hate Flight, dont bother. Its not wanted, and its not usefull.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Clouds are very poor.Water is probably to shiny when seen above a certain altitude.The old FSX tendency for scenery to have hardwired North-south/east-west street grids irregardless of building orientation has apparently been maintained. Probably just for backwards compatibility reasons, but I disliked it in FSX and dislike it now.Rain effect is little progressed beyond FSX, again probably for compatibility reasons but...... meh. Its sad that the creators of direct X allow something like Wings of Prey to show them up at their own game. (The rain effect on a Wings of Prey windshield is breathtaking!)Besides for the smoothness, ten years later, where are all the advancements?Night lighting is behind Orbx.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

All those items were expressed hundreds of times during beta testing.
I know. I certainly yelled it at them enough!! :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Look. People were complaining that they had no place to express what they did not like about Flight. Im giving them a proper thread to do that, and a proper way of expressing it that wont result in a ban or a thread lock/deletion. If nobody is going to properly critique Flight that means one of two things. #1, Flight is perfect. #2, The people who were raging on Flight cant think of any proper critique.I know Flight is not perfect, but someone has got to have some proper critique out there?

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I already posted mine in another thread. Glad you are in control here...

Here's a proper critique: They took 27+ years of software development (no other software ever written lasted that long) and dumbed it's user interface down to that of an XBox 360 game thus eliminating a great deal of what makes a flight simulator have long term value.Sure, they upped the short term interest with gold coins and the like. However, there's nothing about Flight that provides a path further beyond that. There is no indication that any path beyond gold coins will provide for a more realistic or more complex interaction.In short, it's a very, very simple game.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Here's a proper critique: They took 27+ years of software development (no other software ever written lasted that long) and dumbed it's user interface down to that of an XBox 360 game thus eliminating a great deal of what makes a flight simulator have long term value.Sure, they upped the short term interest with gold coins and the like. However, there's nothing about Flight that provides a path further beyond that. There is no indication that any path beyond gold coins will provide for a more realistic or more complex interaction.In short, it's a very, very simple game.
+1 :sad:

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

dumbed it's user interface down to that of an XBox 360 game
The UI might be limited, but it is actually very streamlined when compared to previous FS version.
However, there's nothing about Flight that provides a path further beyond that. There is no indication that any path beyond gold coins will provide for a more realistic or more complex interaction.
That is an indication that you did not explore Flight beyond the basic stuff.

Yes, and it makes me feel very, very empty. I can't really own the promise and joy that this is bringing others. As it does constitute a reset, who knows how long we'll wait until we get back to the complexity of FSX; there is no guarantee that we ever get back...I'm trying NOT to kill other's buzz, but this is candy liquor and I'm left wanting the taste of the Macallan...*sigh*

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

You seem rather hung up about the gold coinds. In the demo, there are only two coin races, and you dont need to fly them. I think buying the Hawaii pack adds another two coin races, but again, you dont need to fly that. I dont see adding something like that as a detraction to the product simply because you dont like it. In reality, FSX had flower sack bombing missions, but people dont point and scream that it makes FSX into an arcade game. Removal of the coin race wont make it a better product.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

The UI might be limited, but it is actually very streamlined when compared to previous FS version.
It's an XBox UI. It's actually impossible to make it any more complex.
That is an indication that you did not explore Flight beyond the basic stuff.
That is an assumption/opinion on your part... but not fact. I was in it's beta from the beginning.
You seem rather hung up about the gold coinds. In the demo, there are only two coin races, and you dont need to fly them. I think buying the Hawaii pack adds another two coin races, but again, you dont need to fly that. I dont see adding something like that as a detraction to the product simply because you dont like it. In reality, FSX had flower sack bombing missions, but people dont point and scream that it makes FSX into an arcade game. Removal of the coin race wont make it a better product.
Oh, I didn't say that. I didn't say I don't like the gold coins. In fact, the gold coins weren't anything I criticized at all.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

It's an XBox UI. It's actually impossible to make it any more complex.
At the risk of being accused of a personal attack, which I assure you this isn't, how could you possibly know this?

I also really dont like the UI, so I agree with you there. There is stream lining UI, and there is making it child proof. What MS did was make it child proof. Not quite Xbox as you still need a mouse, but damn near. The map is also REALLY bad. Its too sugar coated, and you can zoom in close enough, or get many details. I would love to see more of a GPS style map system then this green on black etch-a-scetch map.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

At the risk of being accused of a personal attack, which I assure you this isn't, how could you possibly know this?
1 - Developer... really... writing software (lots of it) professionally since 1979.2 - XBox 360 owner... 'benefit' of having offspring.3 - Add 1+2... starting to get the picture??

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69