What's new in the Library
FS9, FSX & P3D CTD Guide - UPDATED V2!
Simulation's Premier Resource!
AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!
- Free simMarket addon - FSDG's Oresund X for FSX & P3D v2.x
- Aerosoft PMDG 747X Boxed version reduced to €29.99
- Aerosoft Winter Sale 20% off boxed products
- Drzewiecki Design New York City X 30% off?
- Just Flight Pick and Mix Sale
- Drzewiecki Design Polish Airports volumes, which one to get?
- Ultimate VFR Photoscenery Crazy 75% Off
- Any one looking for a complete Fuselage to make a sim out of? There are a few on ebay for $300
- X-Plane FlyJsim 727 complete $39 !
- 50+ minutes left to buy Flight Factors 757 for X-Plane 10
- Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS - Priced low for quick sale!
- CH Throttle Quadrant; CH Eclipse; Saitek Combat Pedals
- Precision Flight Controls Beech Yolk with Hall Effect & Digital Clock
- For Sale: Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, $120
- Reduced price for Flightbeam KIAD (2nd copy for sale)
- SAITEK PRO FLIGHT SWITCH PANEL (UK based)
- Saitek X52 System For Sale
- SAITEK Trim Wheel for sale (UK, IRL or Europe only)
- Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition - 1Yr Old
- Dell U2312HM 23" Monitor
. . .
Windows 8 & X-plane 10
Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:34 PM
Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:17 PM
What do folks think about a "metro" based x-plane? I expect to see lots of win 8 tablets, so a version similar to the iPad would make sense to me. I'd buy it!
I think a tablet is very nice for displaying charts or controlling a CDU, but not for rendering detailed graphics for a desktop flight simulator.
A "Metro" based X-Plane would only work with Windows 8, and no more on most operating systems like Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, Mint or Mac OS. So I think a "Metro" based X-Plane would be a waste of time for Laminar Research.
If you want a mobile version of X-Plane, you can already use a version for iOS and a version for Android.
There's already a confusion between the mobile (and very light) version of X-Plane, and the desktop version. A "Metro" version for Windows 8 or Windows 8 RT would only bring more confusion. Is there really a market for this ?
Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:46 PM
Windows 8 is only good if you have a tablet, if you have a desktop, don't waste your time with it.
Uh, the only thing different is the Metro start screen. Other than that, there are significant speed improvements and optimizations. It's the same Windows OS, just with a different start menu and better performance. You only have to get used to Metro.
Not trying to get this thread off-topic, just saying...