•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo
- - - - -

Tweaking Trim control sensitivity

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Bert Pieke

Bert Pieke

Member - 5,000+

• Members
  • 6,623 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 12 Days Ago.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:41 AM

The buttons I had assigned to Pitch Trim on my CH Yoke moved the trim by 5 degrees every time.The keyboard assignment only 1 degree..In the standard.xml file, I removed the Repeat lines for the trim and now the buttonsonly move 1 degree per click (but do not repeat when held down).. a trade-off,but 5 degrees was too much for my liking..<Entry> <Index>10</Index> <Down> <EventName>FlightControls.PitchTrimDownIncrement</EventName> </Down> </Entry> <Entry> <Index>11</Index> <Down> <EventName>FlightControls.PitchTrimUpIncrement</EventName> </Down> </Entry>

Edited by Bert Pieke, 01 March 2012 - 01:42 AM.

Bert

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 dburne

dburne

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,042 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 7 Months and 19 Days Ago.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Bert you are da man!I was about to make a new post, as I was really struggling with my pitch trim I had assigned to my joystick , with the Stearman, to see if others were experiencing the same, and the quick search pulled up this post you had made.I can certainly live with the tradeoff of it being non repeating as well, to have more of a fine tuning on my elevator trim axis. I had already adjusted the null zones in that file, and was not sure what could be done about the trim.Thanks,
Don B

#3 newthog

newthog

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 6 Months and 28 Days Ago.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

thanks for posting! I wasn't quite sure (as I'm not that computer literate) how much trim I was putting in...this explains it.

#4 nbz

nbz

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 8 Years and 6 Days Ago.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

For anyone who would like to retain the repeating, but finds the rate of change too fast (like me), you can just use smaller values for the REPEAT entries. I have currently halved the default value of 32 to 16, which is already a lot better. I will probably reduce this further.

#5 dburne

dburne

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

For anyone who would like to retain the repeating, but finds the rate of change too fast (like me), you can just use smaller values for the REPEAT entries. I have currently halved the default value of 32 to 16, which is already a lot better. I will probably reduce this further.

Thanks for that, another good tidbit of information.
Don B

#6 nbz

nbz

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for that, another good tidbit of information.

You gotta love this site. Right after I wrote the above post, I stumbled into a thread where somebody said it was his ONLY problem with Flight that trimming was difficult. And before I could point him to this thread, someone else did.

#7 dburne

dburne

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Lol, yeah these forums are quite awesome!
Don B

#8 dburne

dburne

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

Oh man, that is so much better, just took the Stearman up on a free flight- I can finally trim it for perfect level flight. I just went with removing the repeating lines for now, it is easy enough for me to keep pressing the hat3 switch on my Cougar.
Don B

#9 Murray_CHYZ

Murray_CHYZ

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 2 Months and 16 Days Ago.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thanks goodness I'm not the only one looking for this... and other fixes!Thanks all!

#10 nbz

nbz

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

... and other fixes!

What other fixes? The one where you would like the default cockpit view looking slightly down, so you can see more of the panel? :lol:...which can be done by writing

InitialPbh=9.0, 0, 0

below the section

[CameraDefinition.002]

Title = $Cockpit

in the Cameras.cfg?(AppDataRoamingMicrosoftFlight)The value 9.0 is how many degrees down you will be looking.Tell me more... ^_^

#11 Richdre

Richdre

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 5 Months and 18 Days Ago.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

Great tip. I'm now able to trim for level flight. I just removed the repeat lines.

#12 KevQA

KevQA

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 3 Years and 16 Days Ago.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Outstanding tip. Thanks for this. I no longer porpoise around in the sky :Loser:
Kevin Witt

Posted Image

#13 dburne

dburne

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Worked great for me, I removed the repeat lines for the pitch trim, and increased my null zone for my x, y, and rz axis to .200000Very smooth now, so much better.
Don B

#14 g_precentralis

g_precentralis

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,328 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 1 Month and 9 Days Ago.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

I have to notice that just day ago people liked "the fact" that nothing have to be tweaked in flight!. Now this topic is surprise for me. really... btw I like to tweak everything I can.
rs.png Lj. Prodanovic

#15 Kabronicus

Kabronicus

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,175 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 6 Months and 28 Days Ago.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

If we could map the Rudder trim, it would be even better.(It has been ponted out to the Devs, so let´s hope they implement it.)

Ramón