Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Tweaking Trim control sensitivity

where is the file location to adjust the trim repeater?also with my joystick i seam to have a fairly big deadzone could that be adjusted?thanksDave.

For anyone who would like to retain the repeating, but finds the rate of change too fast (like me), you can just use smaller values for the REPEAT entries. I have currently halved the default value of 32 to 16, which is already a lot better. I will probably reduce this further.
I tried that, and found it has no effect... love to be proven wrong though!Just hover the mouse over the trim wheel in the Maule, to get the readout for verification.
where is the file location to adjust the trim repeater?
C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorLocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftFlightPlayers6220B2FEA2F0F1F1CareerControls Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I am sorry, my above post about changing REPEAT values for trim seems to be wrong. I have experimented a bit more and see no change in trim speed even for values as low as 1. I will now pull the REPEAT lines from the cfg as the OP suggested.EDIT: Ah, Bert, sorry I was too late. Would have preferred not to have wasted your time.

Edited by nbz

snapback.pngnbz, on 03 March 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:For anyone who would like to retain the repeating, but finds the rate of change too fast (like me), you can just use smaller values for the REPEAT entries. I have currently halved the default value of 32 to 16, which is already a lot better. I will probably reduce this further.
I tried that, and found it has no effect... love to be proven wrong though!Just hover the mouse over the trim wheel in the Maule, to get the readout for verification.
I agree with Bert, setting to 2,4,8, 16 didn't work for me either.IMO the line has to be removed, Edited by Kabronicus

is that for windows 7 as that root doesnt exsist?sorry should have said and cheers for the fast reply thoughDave.

Enable showing hidden files and folders in explorer to be able to see the appdata folder.

You actually don't need to enable show hidden folders:Try this:Paste this on the address bar: %localappdata%MicrosoftFlightPlayersthen navigate to the folder with some numbers (hex values) -> Career -> Controls ->standard.xml

Edited by Kabronicus

thankyou that worked also removed the null entry which fixed my deadzone. much better.Dave.

This didn't work on my Logitech extreme 3D pro, I adjust the trim up, and up we go, but it wont stay up, just dives and crashes, I have to keep pressing the trim up button to stay airborne, not good now using the old xml. I did notice that my index numbers are different, maybe thats the problem. any ideas would be appreciated.Gary

Here is another Tweak, for rudder Trim, If you have 2 extra buttons on your stick.Go to the usual assignment procedure, and assign them the same 1 for pitch-up and 1 for pitch-down as "secondary assignments"Then quit, go to the standard.xml fileMake backup copy before messing with the fileOn your joystick assignments, you will have 2 of each PitchTrimDownIncrement and PitchTrimUpIncrement, so just replace 1 of each.Rplace:<EventName>FlightControls.PitchTrimDownIncrement</EventName>with<EventName>FlightControls.YawTrimLeftIncrement</EventName>then replace:<EventName>FlightControls.PitchTrimUpIncrement</EventName>with<EventName>FlightControls.YawTrimRightIncrement</EventName>remove the 32.0000 lines for single click change.The Maule and other aircraft will have rudder trim.Use at your own risk, just be careful

Edited by Kabronicus

I think this is a good tip as well. But, I have gone back to using <repeat>32.00000</repeat>. I get the trim "close" to where I want it using my "trim" button, than use "Shift-Up/Down" to set it "closer". I've been doing that with FS for years... so I suppose I'm used to it!

Here is another Tweak, for rudder Trim, If you have 2 extra buttons on your stick.Go to the usual assignment procedure, and assign them the same 1 for pitch-up and 1 for pitch-down as "secondary assignments"Then quit, go to the standard.xml fileMake backup copy before messing with the fileOn your joystick assignments, you will have 2 of each PitchTrimDownIncrement and PitchTrimUpIncrement, so just replace 1 of each.Rplace:<EventName>FlightControls.PitchTrimDownIncrement</EventName>with<EventName>FlightControls.YawTrimLeftIncrement</EventName>then replace:<EventName>FlightControls.PitchTrimUpIncrement</EventName>with<EventName>FlightControls.YawTrimRightIncrement</EventName>remove the 32.0000 lines for single click change.The Maule and other aircraft will have rudder trim.Use at your own risk, just be careful
Good one! That should work for Aileron Trim... I'll check!

Good one! That should work for Aileron Trim... I'll check!
these are the 6 possible trims, plus the center trim.

PitchTrimUpIncrement

PitchTrimDownIncrement

RollTrimLeftIncrement

RollTrimRightIncrement

YawTrimLeftIncrement

YawTrimRightIncrement

CenterRollYawTrim

Edited by Kabronicus

This didn't work on my Logitech extreme 3D pro, I adjust the trim up, and up we go, but it wont stay up, just dives and crashes, I have to keep pressing the trim up button to stay airborne, not good now using the old xml. I did notice that my index numbers are different, maybe thats the problem. any ideas would be appreciated.Gary
Garry, take a close look at your controller assignments (while running Flight, under options). Make sure that you don't have two different controllers assigned to the same event. I had trouble getting my pedals to work correctly as my rudder, until I removed my Saitek's joystick twist axis from the rudder.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Thanks heaps! I didn't know that XML file existed, the trim sensitivity was my only real gripe as I said in another post :P@handygaz when you hover your mouse over the trim wheel in the VC you can see the % trim, is that number actually changing?