Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Tweaking Trim control sensitivity

I agree with Bert, setting to 2,4,8, 16 didn't work for me either.IMO the line has to be removed
So I take it we all agree the only repeat parameter that works is 32? I tried other values last week with no result as I had the same issue with trim but still wanted repeating to work.I have the same overly sensitive repeat issues with my prop rpm and mixture controls too. I also want repeat as I have these allocated to four buttons but I have to press them incredibly quickly in order not to move the control levers too far.I am getting the feeling that perhaps we should asking Microsoft to reduce the sensitivity of the repeating function. I'd like it to be about half of what it is and that applies to trim, prop and mixture (and possibly anything else using repeat that I have not thought of).As for flaps, since I only have the RV-6 and the flaps do not have fixed positions, I can't say how well repeat works there (but however it works at the moment is great, at least in that plane).

I am getting the feeling that perhaps we should asking Microsoft to reduce the sensitivity of the repeating function.
Good idea, but I would find it even better to have something in the user interface for that. No rocket science, but for each button/function, an option to the tune of:Repeat: ()none ()slow ()normal ()fast(Implemented by interpreting different vales then 32 from the .cfg, of course :biggrin: )EDIT: previosly, I said "medium" instead of "normal". But for MS to keep the UI simple, let's call it "normal" and have it be the default setting for everything. Edited by nbz

I found out from spending a couple of hours yesterday that the repeat value really has no affect whatever on the frequency of the repeat timing... unfortunately... I suspect that it's supposed to have an affect, but that it just isn't working yet, else there'd be no reason for any number at all. They'd have simply used 'Yes' or 'No' as they did with some of the camera controls... :db:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I found out from spending a couple of hours yesterday that the repeat value really has no affect whatever on the frequency of the repeat timing... unfortunately... I suspect that it's supposed to have an affect, but that it just isn't working yet, else there'd be no reason for any number at all. They'd have simply used 'Yes' or 'No' as they did with some of the camera controls... :db:
To me, the root of the problem with all our tweaking, is the lack of knowledge about all the keywords/values and their significance within standard.xml, adn other config files.(I am sure there are many more possibilities than the ones we know about)As you may recall, we asked for this values during the beta, but got no answer. So I guess we are going to have to figure it out ourselves. Edited by Kabronicus

Took out the repeat line, and really didn't see much of a difference when trimming up or down. Still TOO much trim in either direction. Have we agreed that removing the line is BETTER than keeping it in? Seems to be really contrasting opinions on this thread. What's the final decision on this tweak/Stan

Took out the repeat line, and really didn't see much of a difference when trimming up or down. Still TOO much trim in either direction.Have we agreed that removing the line is BETTER than keeping it in? Seems to be really contrasting opinions on this thread. What's the final decision on this tweak/Stan
For me, removing the line made a big difference, I am able to fine tune my trim much better now.

What I did is assign trim to two of my joystick buttons (without editing them in the standard.xm). That gives me the course trim adjustments.Then I assigned the up and down arrow keys to trim. That gives me the fine trim adjustments.Now I can use my joystick trim buttons to get my aircraft flying semi-level, and then use the arrow keys to make 1 degree adjustment.This gives me the best of both, with less button/key presses needed to trim my aircraft,

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Took out the repeat line, and really didn't see much of a difference when trimming up or down. Still TOO much trim in either direction.Have we agreed that removing the line is BETTER than keeping it in? Seems to be really contrasting opinions on this thread. What's the final decision on this tweak/Stan
Stan: I don’t know how to answer your question. Yes or No. both apply, some users report that it does not work and values are not kept between restarts, and some users (including me) report that it works and values are kept.My experience is I now have assigned PitchTrim, YawTrim and CenterRollYawlTrim to (5) buttons on my Logitech Attack 3 joystick (removing the dreaded “repeat” line) and get a 1 degree change for every click, and CenterRollYawlTrim centers the YawTrim. And my values are almost allways kept between restart.(I also have a bat file for failed times)I hope this does or does not answer your question. :Hypnotized:

What I did is assign trim to two of my joystick buttons (without editing them in the standard.xm). That gives me the course trim adjustments.Then I assigned the up and down arrow keys to trim. That gives me the fine trim adjustments.Now I can use my joystick trim buttons to get my aircraft flying semi-level, and then use the arrow keys to make 1 degree adjustment.This gives me the best of both, with less button/key presses needed to trim my aircraft,
Interesting and neat way to do it. I currently have removed the repeat statement in my pitch trim, and have it mapped to my hat2 switch on my Cougar. Thinking about it, i could return the repeat statement, then assign the up and down arrow keys and program them to the same hat with the S3 button held in, and have both available to me - course and fine trim, on the same hat swith... I may have to give that a try.Thanks for sharing,

I could not find any repeat statement any where near the... PitchTrimDownIncrement and PitchTrimUpIncrement statements...Strange

I would like to apply the trim modification but I do not know how to save an xml file. Is it just automatically saved or do I need to do a Control S?thanks guysFrank

I could not find any repeat statement any where near the... PitchTrimDownIncrement and PitchTrimUpIncrement statements...Strange
You may be looking under the keyboard mapping, scroll down further and look for the one under your joystick mapping,
I would like to apply the trim modification but I do not know how to save an xml file. Is it just automatically saved or do I need to do a Control S?thanks guysFrank
Open it with Notepad, make your change or changes, then click on save.I would save a copy of the original though, just to have just in case...

For anyone who would like to retain the repeating, but finds the rate of change too fast (like me), you can just use smaller values for the REPEAT entries. I have currently halved the default value of 32 to 16, which is already a lot better. I will probably reduce this further.
Where would the file be located to make these changes ? (halving default value in half 32 to 16) I have the flight.cfg and camera.cfg out on the desktop but couldn't locate a standard.eml that someone above has mentioned . I also have a CH Combat Stick which works quite well in Flight and has a trim wheel on the side of its base . I assume this tweak would still work ?Rich

c - users-your name-appdata - local - microsoft - flight - players - < some set of numbers folder> - career - controlsYou will need to have enabled explorer to show hidden files and folders.Btw, it is standard.xml. Save a copy of the original.Note: I think it has been surmised, reducing the repeat value really has no affect, I removed that line from mine...