Sign in to follow this  
Gibbage

What is Microsoft Flight? A video "review" I made.

First, let me restate what some of you know. I served a contract at Microsoft Studio on Flight. That contract ended over 1 year ago. I no longer have any financial gains and have no plans for financial gains in the future of Flight. I now run my own FSX 3rd party studio at KCFS and we made some nice FSX aircraft since the end of my time on Flight. I also dont expect making this video will get me into MS's good graces since big corps like MS dont want there former employees (or contractors) talking bout what they did, good or bad. I may even get a nasty email from some of my old buddies there. I am really proud of the work I did in Flight, even though I cant say WHAT I did. Im still under NDA, so dont bother asking me questions. Since its been over a year since I was there, any information I do have is out-dated anyways. I never said in the past that I worked on Flight due to NDA, but now that Flight is released, and Microsoft published my name in the credits, that part of the NDA is broken. I can only talk about what has been officially released, and no more. I made this video to try to clear up some misconceptions and rumors at to WHAT FLIGHT IS. Is it a sim? Yes. Is it a kids game? Yes. Can a "hard core" simmer enjoy Flight? Yes. Flight, at its very core, is WHAT YOU MAKE IT! If you make it into an arcade game chasing coins, thats what YOU made it, so dont cry to MS for giving you the option. Flight has never been marketed as FS11. Get over it. Here is my video.

Please keep things civil. Im not trying to push Flight on anyone. Im just trying to shed some light on some over looked features. FSX is still better then Flight in many ways, but I can still enjoy Flight along side FSX.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Kevin,I really enjoyed your video and I appreciate the effort you have made. The "chicken run" at the end with the Maule really impressed me. I'm very excited about trying Flight now, and will get to it very soon. Thanks! (I'll also be getting to your Seabee for FSX soon...promise!)John

Kevin, I just sat through the entire video and would like to thank you for investing the time to create this. The first thing I did in Flight was to shut down that truly annoying "music!" For the first few bars it isn't too bad, but that endless loop just grates on my last nerve... :LMAO:I agree with you as well that MSGS's PR folks really shot themselves in the foot with their ham-handed and very poorly done public presentations. I think also that had MSGS shared their "Strategic Vision" (not their tactical plan, just the vision!) it would have helped to mitigate some of the angst, wear of hair-shirts, stamping of tiny feet, and hand-wringing. :Thinking:You've gotta be kidding me about not knowing how to do VOR/Localizer navigation. It's really very, very simple. Seriously... :Peace:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You've gotta be kidding me about not knowing how to do VOR/Localizer navigation. It's really very, very simple. Seriously... :Peace:
:sorry: I fly all FVR. Some of the guys "at the office" game me the basics, but I didnt use it so I forgot it.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

:sorry: I fly all FVR. Some of the guys "at the office" game me the basics, but I didnt use it so I forgot it.
Truth be told Kevin, Flight forced me to dig deep into my rusty bucket of skills acquired decades ago, which is one reason why it aggravates me no end to hear so many otherwise nice folks go simply ballistic when they hear the name "Flight..." :rofl:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Kevin, I just sat through the entire video and would like to thank you for investing the time to create this. The first thing I did in Flight was to shut down that truly annoying "music!" For the first few bars it isn't too bad, but that endless loop just grates on my last nerve... :LMAO:I agree with you as well that MSGS's PR folks really shot themselves in the foot with their ham-handed and very poorly done public presentations. I think also that had MSGS shared their "Strategic Vision" (not their tactical plan, just the vision!) it would have helped to mitigate some of the angst, wear of hair-shirts, stamping of tiny feet, and hand-wringing. :Thinking:You've gotta be kidding me about not knowing how to do VOR/Localizer navigation. It's really very, very simple. Seriously... :Peace:
Strong Ditto on the music! :)

Cross wind landing was a lost artform, till Flight. Now, its a required skill!!!! I learned to cross wind properly from watching Flying Wild Alaska. Once I started following that, I was able to cross wind land in Flight just fine. Its amazing what you learn on TV!

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Better to learn it at a flight school... :LMAO:

Better to learn it at a flight school... :LMAO:
True, but making FSX add-on's will never pay off flight school!!!!

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Thanks, Kevin. The graphics/scenery and sound are certainly fantastic. Looks like a lot of fun if you can tolerate the load times. Like FSX, the first thing to turn off was indeed the music. And I agree the lack of AI makes for a very barren world.I've been "flying" since Bruce Artwick's FS for the C64 and continue to enjoy and be amazed at the evolution of flight simulation. While FSX will continue to be my FS of choice, MS Flight should be a lot of fun to play around with. Now, if I could just find a good Seabee aircraft for FSX...

Love it, Kevin. Great job. That is what I would have done if I had your dedication and skill, as well as your knowledge. Great minds meet. By the way, you got a "Happy Chickens" bonus - must be a bug!Oh, since you have FS X, give Rod Machado and his corny jokes a try for VOR navigation - it's in the Learning Center.Best regards.Luis

"I can't wait to try this with cats" was the best line ever!! Good job and thanks for the video.

You guys keep talking about the Seabee... this is one of my aviation weaknesses... not knowing my GA aircraft.Only Seabee(s) I ever knew were guys I met either at Diego Garcia or Guam. :PFinally wiki'd to see you're talking about the Republic Seabee... wow the granddaddy of the Icon! Just%20Kidding.gif