Sign in to follow this  
KevQA

New review from Flying Magazine

That reviewer's screed isn't worth the pixels it cost to virtually print it. The fact that he's condemning Flight without ever giving it a FULL BORE TEST says quite a bit about his credibility. That's called "judging a book by its cover."Not surprisingly, the comments made to his "review" were just as ignorant and misinformed as any I've read elsewhere.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What a knuckleheaded review... plays for maybe 30 minutes and gives up. Could have done the same with FSX.Expects to fly IFR w/ a non-IFR rated aircraft? I didn't like that the Icon didn't have an attitude indicator either... doesn't mean that is required to have a "real" airplane. Cub and many other small GA planes do not have the 2 instruments he mentioned.He has it checked to fly in "easy-peasy" mode and expects what? For it to fly anything other than "easy"? As I say... knuckleheaded.Only part of that review I find "respectable" is the section on the crosswind evaluation. Wonder if he's even flown the Icon."clever marketing promotion for the Icon A5"... pffffft

That reviewer's screed isn't worth the pixels it cost to virtually print it. The fact that he's condemning Flight without ever giving it a FULL BORE TEST says quite a bit about his credibility. That's called "judging a book by its cover."Not surprisingly, the comments made to his "review" were just as ignorant and misinformed as any I've read elsewhere.
Just saw what you wrote Fr. Bill... totally agree with you. What a knucklehead.

That is without a doubt one of the worse pieces of "journalism" I have yet encountered. I just shake my head in disbelief!kind regards,

Guest BlueRidgeDx

I'm hardly sensitive when debating an issue, so I genuinely couldn't care less if someone calls me a knucklehead, or calls my work "screed", or whatever. Fair game, I say.What does chafe my nuts, however, is the striking double standard how members and worse, even mods, can make personal attacks against anyone with a negative view of Flight, while even tepid criticism of Flight draws stern warnings and censorship. You guys lose credibility when you don't practice what you preach. Just sayin'.

That is without a doubt one of the worse pieces of "journalism" I have yet encountered. I just shake my head in disbelief!kind regards,
I don't know what it is, but Flight has had me dig real deep into my flying ability. It actually teaches you so much about the basics it is incredible. Trimming for max rate of climb so you don't hit the mountains in the dark in full cloud cover. Having an actual crosswind that will blow you off centerline on landing if your technique is bad. Tuning the radios in the RV-6 to the ILS frequency, then having to select the correct runway heading by using the OBS and actually having to fly ILS needles! Edited by KevQA

On the takeoff roll, there was almost zero effect from torque
I do not know how a supposed pilot (doing a review of an aircraft) could advance the throttle and not notice "the world tilting".The left wing plainly rises... dunno how he could possibly overlook that effect from torque.Knuckleheaded as I said.==========================Btw...Jahman... Attila the Hun, and now the Blue Ridge with this PC terminology.No two people I love more in this world than my son and daughter...Both can be knuckleheads... at times... even I rate being called a knucklehead from time to time. :Silly:You think that is a personal attack??? You got to be kidding me... I would be embarrassed to make the statement that being called a knucklehead is some sort of "personal attack"... obviously you are very sensitive and do care or you would not have said anything. "Just sayin'."
Having an actual crosswind that will blow you off centerline on landing if your technique is bad.
Yeah I have had to crab too or be blown off the centerline... so I am not sure what was going on in his flight sim world. :crazy:

I do not know how a supposed pilot (doing a review of an aircraft) could advance the throttle and not notice "the world tilting".The left wing plainly rises... dunno how he could possibly overlook that effect from torque.Knuckleheaded as I said.==========================Btw...Jahman... Attila the Hun, and now the Blue Ridge with this PC terminology.No two people I love more in this world than my son and daughter...Both can be knuckleheads... at times... even I rate being called a knucklehead from time to time. :Silly:You think that is a personal attack??? You got to be kidding me... I would be embarrassed to make the statement that being called a knucklehead is some sort of "personal attack"... obviously you are very sensitive and do care or you would not have said anything. "Just sayin'."Yeah I have had to crab too or be blown off the centerline... so I am not sure what was going on in his flight sim world. :crazy:
Yeah well, Maybe you are a knucklehead. I am not so sure, but maybe I am a knucklehead too.

Yeah well, Maybe you are a knucklehead. I am not so sure
Give me time and I will not disappoint... :Big Grin:

A good review that accurately describes the feeling most flight simulator hobbyists experience when they try out Flight.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Sorry guys (and Mods), but I gotta agree with BlueRidgeDX. Especially after reading Tom's "rules" about how this forum would be Moderated to prevent it turning into what it did before. Basically Tom said, "No personal attacks whatsoever will be tolerated".The Rules of Debate are quite clear. You can attack another person's IDEA, STANCE, POSITION, OPINIONS, etc. But you can NOT attack the person PERSONALLY, regardless of how you may feel about them.Calling somebody a "knucklehead" is a direct attack against the PERSON, and unless Tom is a hyprocrite, violates his own guidance for how this forum will be Moderated.When a Moderator does it, it's even more questionable."With all due respect for my distinguished collegue from the State of California, your OPINIONS are full of cr*p!"THAT'S the way you do it.Respectfully submitted.

Edited by FalconAF

Rick Ryan

I agree with the review. Tried Flight for free. bored after 1-2 hours of doing stupid childish missions and listening to annoying music.I know Flight was not designed to be a simulator but that is still how I feel.Dont get me wrong if they start making it less mission based and more free (I know there is a free flight mode) and bring in complex aircraft and more areas I'll be laying down the cash to buy it all as per my sig but I know that is not the aim of the game.Its a shame becuase the "engine" seems so much better than FSx and has so much potential it seems.I am going to keep an eye on Flight and hope they allow for some of the addons that make FSX so good. Them I will be back with my wallet.But in its current state its not for me, but I am hoping the future changes that!

Edited by KeithyGeorge

Keithy George

Guest BlueRidgeDx
Jahman... Attila the Hun, and now the Blue Ridge with this PC terminology.You think that is a personal attack??? You got to be kidding me... I would be embarrassed to make the statement that being called a knucklehead is some sort of "personal attack"... obviously you are very sensitive and do care or you would not have said anything. "Just sayin'."
You couldn't be more wrong about me being PC. I don't think "knucklehead" is a personal attack. But then, I didn't think that 95% of the deleted posts by Flight's detractors were personal attacks either. What I DO think, is that he conversation here clearly crosses the arbitrary line that Avsim has set for declaring something improper. It's a double standard.

Yes, the arbitrary deletion of some posts (my last one in this thread) now appears to be a sport for one of the admins.Surely, I should be allowed to reply to someone who references me by name in their posts, without me even being in this thread first.Attilla:This was one of your two major points in the last posting you refer to that I deleted:"On a brighter note, Flight is clearly some sort of advertising for the A5 and even the RV. I would not be surprised if the makers of these products paid MS, instead of the other way around."The only other point was to fire a shot at the moderators. You are not being unfairly singled out for persecution, but you have purposely managed to keep sticking your lightening rod into storm clouds. You really don't like flight. We all get it. We have all been getting it for months, first in the first FLIGHT forum where you were an outspoken and presistant critic of Flight and those who were hypothetically defending it. Now you are doing the same thing here where we are trying to be a positive support for those who desire to enjoy Flight.My advice to you is to stop what you are doing and to reflect on your negative contribution and to try to understand why it is becoming increasingly unwelcome by those who are moderating these forums. Stephen