Sign in to follow this  
B42L8

Icing or why engine slow down?

the last few times I go from KBFI to CYYJ (Boing Field to Victoria), I get to 3000 ft and above, I lose power, and so do a dive till engine revs up and then usually no further problems............happens around Harvey Field as well, all in FTX PNW??...........any thoughts on icing or could this be a wheather program issue??...............appreciate your comments!! B42L8

This is a known FSX defect according to similar posts I've seen in this forum and others. It has to do with the way FSX processes carb heat whether you aircraft has carbs or not, I believe. I say that because the posts suggest pressing the keyboard "H" key to clear the problem - no matter what aircraft you're flying - then resume your climb to an appropriate altitudet (the listed Service Ceiling or below). The "H" key in FSX controls carb heat on/off. If your aircraft has a carburetor, it should have a carb heat switch. Fuel injected (FI) aircraft (like the Baron) won't have one, but there lies the problem with FSX. I believe some simmers have found that even the FI aircraft have had the same problem. Obviously, that shouldn't be a factor on a FI aircraft because it doesn't have carbs. I've experienced this problem on my T182T Skylane from FLight One and on my Carenado FI aircraft.Next time your Baron begins to lose power (watch your manifold pressure), press the "H" key once and see if that clears your problem. The effect takes a little while to restore your power. Don't wait for the engines to lose all power before you press the "H" key. The longer you wait, the longer it will take to correct. When I was researching this for you, I noticed there are many opinions on the use of carburetor heat. I like to defer to experts - 33 years in aviation maintenance has taught me that. Send me a PM and I'll send you a pamphlet from the FAA that explains the use of carb heat. I'm sure other opinions will be offered to your post, so you should get some good info from them, too.Cheers,Mark

One other very obvious item I failed to ask you... Are you adjusting your mixture as you climb? If not, that is something you must do. I don't mean to insult your intelligence on this, but you didn't mention it in your post. Make sure you adjust your mixture as you climb - I adjust it about every 4-5000 feet depending on my workload.Mark

thanks for the help, yes, I do adjust, but I only go to 5 or 6 k ft on these short flights, ...........I read about the "H" button, and do this on pre-flight, so far I have NOT had any more "slow down" problems...........not sure what I have fixed, but if it works, so be it.............on a side note, has there been any info on the new Carenado King Aire??...................I have the AFG model and that is great, but look forward to the new one to see if it is better............as I LOVE the B 58 and find that I have not used any other plane for some time.....................hate to get locked into one, but it is so easy to fly!! regards, Dick Leonard KRYN

Yea, B58 is a sweet plane, RW, and otherwise.To add to cnaults excellent reply.. the Carenado only has VENT/PITOT/and Prop heat switchs. But if/when you type the "H" key for card heat, the Prop switch will pop up... HOWEVER... if you begin to have icing in the carb, using this switch in the virtual cabin WILL NOT turn on the carb heat. You have to use the "H" key. There is an ALT air supply in there also, but it appears not to function.switchm.jpgHere a little article about carb icing: http://goodflying.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/will-your-carburetor-ice-up/