Sign in to follow this  
EagleSkinner

You Can Have Fun In Flight

Whilst Flight does give some great looking scenery and good looking planes (Very well modelled and painted - even if I do say so myself), one does question the developers connections with the real world... Take a look at this:post-7652-0-08824600-1330788998_thumb.jpgNow what's what's wrong with this picture?378 Kilos of jellyfish antivenom? That sounds to me like the world supply of antivenom... :help:269 Kilos of chemistry sets? If I remember my childhood, I would recall that my first chem-set probably weighed a pound. We're talking five hundred chemistry sets for Kahului! What are the kids planning?! =@ 852 Kilos of live pigs? An adult pot-bellied pig weighs in at 125 pounds so... we could be talking 14 pigs. In a Maule? :Pig:909 Kilos of live ducks? A fully grown fighting duck (oh yes, them Aylesbury ducks make good watchdogs biggrin.png ) is what, 5 Kilos. 180 Live Ducks In A Maule? C'mon...Talking%20Ear%20Off.gifand apart from the realism, who's going to clean the mess? :bad:And don't get me wrong... I like Flight enough to rag it and have a good belly laugh at the mission planner's sense of humour. I am guessing they want to make us laugh...Big%20Grin.gif Signed:- a Kitchen Cynic :Hug:

Edited by stormpup

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

Incidentally - if you look at the Wikipedia references about the Maule... General characteristics

• Crew: One pilot
  • Capacity: 4 passengers
  • Length: 23 ft 6 in (7.16 m)
  • Wingspan: 33 ft 6 in (10.21 m)
  • Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.89 m)
  • Wing area: 268 ft2 (15.6 m2)
  • Empty weight: 1,500 lb (681 kg)
  • Gross weight: 2,500 lb (1,134 kg)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Lycoming IO-540-W, 235 hp (175 kW)

One Thousand Pounds of useful load - and that includes pax and fuel. Pilot 100 Kilos (I am honest here, but I'd have to fly nude :LMAO: ) 100 Kilos of fuel and the best you could do is to add 200 to 250 Kilos freight or pax...

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

More fun - fly both FSX AND Flight at the same time... I am currently flying both at the same time - as long as you uncheck the "pause on change focus" in FSX, you can fly in Flight and your FSX model goes along with you. Crashes unavoidable

Many of those Maule missions are Impossible to fly, this was pointed out during the beta, but still not fixed. Hope they do.

You can, of course, try running both FSX and Flight on the same PC. I just did...Not Possible? Try this:You need a two screen setupSet up a flight in the Maule from Honolulu international on runway 26R in FSX on the left monitor and Flight on the right.Uncheck the "Pause on task switch" options.Take off...OK, there is a lot of fine tuning still to go - the Maule in Flightflies totally different to the FSX Maule - they both very soon lost synch, But I managed to pause and catch up for the last shot...post-7652-0-57457100-1330795117_thumb.jpgpost-7652-0-35068600-1330795115_thumb.jpgpost-7652-0-90432300-1330795111_thumb.jpgpost-7652-0-79383600-1330795108_thumb.jpgpost-7652-0-37034200-1330795106_thumb.jpgpost-7652-0-51745900-1330795100_thumb.jpgMasochistic fun all the way...

What gets me is that there are people who are "seeing" Google Earth in Flight. Just those few photos above prove to the contrary. There are a few, very few places in Flight that look like they have been taken from Google, but most of the islands rely on landclass polygons and these are still to FS8 standards. As for plantations and orchards, MS are using autogen tiles and you can see the repetition. Also if you look at the airport aprons, you will see massively repeating checkerboard patterns.MS hove done this deliberately - the loudest screams against FS9 and FSX have been the (unfounded in 99% of cases) whining screams that FSX and FS9 suffered poor FPS rates. Well, MS listened and Flight runs fast and smooth now. But the cost is high - scenery detail and quality is not, repeat NOT as good as in FSX.Please do not put me in the "Flight slammer" category - I like Flight. But I am not blinded by the Emperor's New Clothes. Flight will improve - if enough Hawaiian Adventure packs are sold, but Flight still has a long way to go. All I wish for is that the newcomers enjoy Flight and that the old timers who have both (all three) recent flying programmes from MS refrain from unjustified comparison. A bare FSX is worse to look at than Flight, agreed, but FSX can look a lot better and has a lot lot more to offer a desk-pilot that Flight. Whether that changes will depend on how Flight is taken (and not compared or wrapped in false new clothes)Flying both at the same time allows you to compare just how good Flight really is (not) and just how good FSX (can be with payware addons)FSX on the left (1920 screen) Flight on the right (1280 screen)post-7652-0-05838300-1330809344_thumb.jpgpost-7652-0-87497200-1330809347_thumb.jpg

Edited by stormpup

flight has been out two minutes and you compare it to an established game with a few years of overpriced (imo of course) payware addons.i have to say, again imo, without mods flight looks 20 times more like real flying than fsx does with mods. its not all texture resolution, but distance perception et cetera.

I have bought Hawaii and the Maule but do not see the cargo missions alluded to above. Do they become revealed as you progress or do I have something missing ? I cannot find a manual of any kind anywhere.I am a very long time flightsimmer and am enjoying Flight in spite of initial misgivings.

flight has been out two minutes and you compare it to an established game with a few years of overpriced (imo of course) payware addons.i have to say, again imo, without mods flight looks 20 times more like real flying than fsx does with mods. its not all texture resolution, but distance perception et cetera.
I didn't buy Megascenery Oahu until it turned into a $10 special offer. I am not comparing directly as such. I am trying to remind those who are saying Flight is so wonderfully real that this is not the case. I keep seeing threads where folk are saying Flight has used Google Earth as scenery. This is simply not true. Flight is pretty - I like Flight - but I look at it very realistically. There are many many features in Flight that prevent it being called a full simulator. Close? Possibly. But it remains an eye-candy flying game ideal for people who don't plan to build simulated cockpits. Yoiu cannot, yet, use any external software to feed separate addon hardware gauges.Even MS emphasize that there is more game about Flight.Now... I must get back to Flight - I want to get my 25000 XP points back, that I had earned in beta ;)

Flying both at the same time allows you to compare just how good Flight really is (not) and just how good FSX (can be with payware addons)FSX on the left (1920 screen) Flight on the right (1280 screen)
How is it fair to post comparison shots, with Flight's done in a lower resolution?I have FSX, with UTX, and GEX installed. And have made my own comparisons while flying around in Hawaii. And Flight looks considerably better to me. Plus screenshots do not really show the lighting and shadow improvements, nor do they show the sound improvements. Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

not to mention that getting out of the plane and walking around is sweet. no idea why but its more satisfying ;)

Plus screenshots do not really show the lighting and shadow improvements, nor do the show the sound improvements.
Amen to that. I posted some screenshots but always said you have to see it in motion! I stopped posting screenshots because they don't do the game justice. Seeing the morning fog speeding past your plane in the raising sun... you have to see it in motion. It's the same with flying in the fog: in the screenshots you see nothing but grey but in MS Flight you can almost feel the fog!