Sign in to follow this  
Guest mna27

Outrageous Pricing hurting Microsoft Flight......

Guest mna27

I just want to start out with saying I like how Microsoft Flight looks and feels alot...I think the flight physics are way better then FSX...this simulator has alot of potential...it's just lacking key features now like VOR's working...or a flight planner etc...I think the high prices are turning a lot of people away from Microsoft Flight.....including me. $15 for one plane......that is steep, what if I want to buy 5 planes in the future?I could understand the $15 price tag if the whole world was available to fly in, or if there was a flight planner, or if radio navigation worked.....but $15 to fly on one little island is too much. I'm definitely not even gonna think about buying any planes till there are at least working VOR's. HOWEVER, if the Maul/Vr6 were $5 each I would of bought them both the first day of launch, and I think I speak for thousands of others. Would you rather me and thousands of others not to spend a penny on these high priced planes, or would you like $5 at least? Which is better, 2,000 people paying $15......or 10,000 people paying $5. Obviously you want as many customers as possible, and as many as possible potential customers for future releases as well. Especially at launch with these limited features....the price should be the cheapest now for planes....just charge more for new regions in the future. $5 planes and maybe $30 regions in the future would make tons of money....

Thats the beauty of it all... choice! Wait and see if they offer something you like... then buy it... or not. You get to choose!

To the OP, if you can tell me where I can buy a plane with everything you described for $15.00 (A2A, PMDG....) please let me know....I'll buy it.

as Alain alluded to...and in my humble opinion...pricing is more than fair compared to other third party add ons. I agree, we're paying for add ons that can only be flown around Hawaii so far...but I still feel that I'm getting my money's worth.

With the exception of sale prices, I don't think I've paid less than $25 for any of my add-on aircraft for FSX. $15 doesn't seem unreasonable to me, especially since if it's an aircraft I don't like/want, I don't have to purchase it. :)-George

Guest mna27

just trying to point out they would drag in a lot of new customers if things were cheaper......Like I said planes shouldn't be $15 until all those features are added. Don't forget its JUST the main island of Hawaii that's free. They're gonna make tons on the new regions available in the future. In the mean time they should be building a large customer base that will buy those regions in the future.oh yea and if they're trying to attract kids with this new FlightSim it should be affordable for kids!! lol....but is a point

Edited by mna27

Agree with all you guys. I may be in the minority around here, but I think the the DLC is very reasonable, if not inexpensive.

Why are people comparing the prices of add-ons for FSX (which is a niche market with small dev teams) to Flight (which Microsoft is trying to sell to a broad base of casual users)? If Microsoft really wants to broaden their base, they need to set more realistic prices.

In another thread somebody raised the interesting point that with the maule (for instance) you may not be so much buying the planes as you are buying the plane and access to the maule missions together.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Guest mna27

also you can't compare what Microsoft charges to a third party. There will not be any third party planes for MS Flight, AND Microsoft will be selling thousands many more planes then any third party would ever sell. (because they can advertise the plane in game for everyone to see, you don't have to go search for some third party plane to buy on the internet)

I could understand the $15 price tag if the whole world was available to fly in, or if there was a flight planner, or if radio navigation worked.....but $15 to fly on one little island is too much. I'm definitely not even gonna think about buying any planes till there are at least working VOR's.
<sigh> The VORs are working!The Maule you're speaking about has working navigation radios! Two of 'em for heaven's sake, and one Bendix/King HSI and a secondary Bendix/King VOR head (localizer only, no GS)The Vans RV-6 that you get with the Hawaiian Adventure Pack also has working navigation and VOR heads.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

also you can't compare what Microsoft charges to a third party. There will not be any third party planes for MS Flight, AND Microsoft will be selling thousands many more planes then any third party would ever sell. (because they can advertise the plane in game for everyone to see, you don't have to go search for some third party plane to buy on the internet)
On the other hand third party developers only have to cover the cost of developing the add-ons, while Microsoft has to recoup the cost of developing and maintaining the free base package with profits from the DLC.Income is price times quantity sold. If the DLC price is lowered MS will probably sell more, but not necessarily that much more that they end up with a greater income. I'm assuming that the MS marketing department has put more though and business analysis into the DLC pricing scheme than we have. Not that that necessarily means they are charging a fair price, but it presumably means they are charging the price they think will earn them the most money.

<sigh> The VORs are working!
Sadly, facts dont matter to people who only create an account only rage on Flight. I think it would be interesting to compare all these new account IP addy's to some of the "old crew". Im thinking the mods can find a few matches...

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

The VORs are working!The Maule you're speaking about has working navigation radios! Two of 'em for heaven's sake, and one Bendix/King HSI and a secondary Bendix/King VOR head (localizer only, no GS)The Vans RV-6 that you get with the Hawaiian Adventure Pack also has working navigation and VOR heads.
Ah, I was hust about to post that. This is evening I did a flight going from an airport straight to a VOR and from that VOR to another airport. Flying straight to the VOR was of course dead easy and worked perfectly, ncluding the distance showing on the DME, but flying outbound to the other airport didn't go to well because I had to guess the outbound radial... so I cheated and opened the map to see where I was. :wink: Anyway, the VOR's work perfectly fine. Just as the ILS.(Anyone got a tip for finding out the right headings etc. to or from a VOR...? Obviously there aren't many VOR/NDB's on the islands, so it's pretty hard finding some airports...) Edited by J van E

(Anyone got a tip for finding out the right headings etc. to or from a VOR...? Obviously there aren't many VOR/NDB's on the islands, so it's pretty hard finding some airports...)
Having either a PDF or paper sectional would sure come in handy! I like to plot my plan using a china marker along with a protractor so I can get precise data. Old school I know, but boy is it ever fun!EDIT: I located a zip file with an excellent .jpg file of the sectional for Hawaiihttp://www.avsimrus.com/f/documents-16/hawaii-sectional-chart-24714.html

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator