Sign in to follow this  
Guest mna27

Outrageous Pricing hurting Microsoft Flight......

Having either a PDF or paper sectional would sure come in handy! I like to plot my plan using a china marker along with a protractor so I can get precise data. Old school I know, but boy is it ever fun!
Back in the VERY old days of FS, when they included paper maps of the covered 4 areas, mine were tissue paper thin from plotting and erasing courses and vectors with a pencil... lol

I don't even now what a china marker is or a protractor... but that's maybe because English is not my native language. :wink: But yes, I might look up some charts for Hawaii. May always come in handy when I am doing a mission and need to land somewhere unexpectedly for fuel or something else. (You can't access the map during missions and jobs.)

I am no expert at this, but it is my understanding that when you buy an add-on for FSX, you usually get a manual, you are able to modify the aircraft as you see fit, you can create your own paint scheme and many times you get more than one model. You also generally get a working autopilot and a working ADF radio.I also don't recall having to do missions or be a certain level to unlock anything that I paid for with things I don't want to do.Oh yeah, one last thing, FSX add-ons generally come with support, something MS is not known for at all as can be noted by no official support forum nor any official word about the many bugs left in from the beta.

(Anyone got a tip for finding out the right headings etc. to or from a VOR...? Obviously there aren't many VOR/NDB's on the islands, so it's pretty hard finding some airports...)
I've got pen and paper at hand, and am making a list of all the Apts,and their radial from navaids.Gonna take awhile, but as you probably know, you can't access the map during missions.So. if you mis-calculate fuel, you need to know the location of Alternative Apts.RB

I am no expert at this, but it is my understanding that when you buy an add-on for FSX, you usually get a manual, you are able to modify the aircraft as you see fit, you can create your own paint scheme and many times you get more than one model. You also generally get a working autopilot and a working ADF radio.I also don't recall having to do missions or be a certain level to unlock anything that I paid for with things I don't want to do.Oh yeah, one last thing, FSX add-ons generally come with support, something MS is not known for at all as can be noted by no official support forum nor any official word about the many bugs left in from the beta.
You've got some valid points there.MS Flight doesn't come with any additional information for its planes or airports. etc. The planes are cheaper then regular FSX addons, but most regular FSX addons nowadays have everything working (though not necessarily an AP. However, if the VC has an AP, it usually works...!).It's quite normal for games :wink: that you have to unlock things but if you indeed pay not only for the Maule but also for the missions, you should be able to play them right away. Then again, unlokcing things is quite normal, even for games you have paid a full price for.And support also worries me... We have nowhere to turn to but each other. I have some requests and questions but no one has the answers.
I've got pen and paper at hand, and am making a list of all the Apts,and their radial from navaids.
But then you also have to have maps... Or do you measure the right radials on the screen...? :wink:

I don't even now what a china marker is or a protractor... but that's maybe because English is not my native language. :wink: But yes, I might look up some charts for Hawaii. May always come in handy when I am doing a mission and need to land somewhere unexpectedly for fuel or something else. (You can't access the map during missions and jobs.)
See the link I added to my post above for a .jpg image of the sectional. I'm going to do some work on it in Photoshop so I can section it out for printing on my color laser... :Peace:Alternatively, I can display in on my second monitor and just use it that way.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

And support also worries me... We have nowhere to turn to but each other. I have some requests and questions but no one has the answers.
I understand that they will eventually be setting up some form of support forum. Possibly because they haven't done so yet is part of the reason they (the devs) have kept the beta forum open. They've asked for us to pass Q/A for them until formal support forum is opened up.

Fr. Bill    

All hail the mighty Google, sectional for Hawaii is available right here: http://www.avcharts.com/. Still a bit hard to plot courses, but there are a few pre-plotted.By the way Jeroen a protractor is roughly equivalent to a 'geo-driehoek'.

All hail the mighty Google, sectional for Hawaii is available right here: http://www.avcharts.com/. Still a bit hard to plot courses, but there are a few pre-plotted.By the way Jeroen a protractor is roughly equivalent to a 'geo-driehoek'.
Unfortunately, it's not "saveable" nor is it "printable." The link I provided above has a hi-res .jpg file of the same sectional. Easily saveable, and printable. BTW, I found that link via Google as well... :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

Guest mna27
<sigh> The VORs are working!The Maule you're speaking about has working navigation radios! Two of 'em for heaven's sake, and one Bendix/King HSI and a secondary Bendix/King VOR head (localizer only, no GS)The Vans RV-6 that you get with the Hawaiian Adventure Pack also has working navigation and VOR heads.
That's great news to hear!! I literally talked to 4-5 people that bought the planes and they all said the radio's didn't work either. (guess they dunno how to work them) Forgive me for being a rookie but is there a program to find the proper heading, or do I have to try using paper (i've never calculated my own route before). It was nice how FSX had a flight planner that told you the heading, but it sounds kinda fun to plot your own (so long as MS Flight's aiport/vor's are the same as in real charts).

In another thread I posted a link to a hi-res .jpg sectional chart, which may be viewed on screen or possibly printed out if you have the time and patience. There are also a number of programs available that are "stand alone" (meaning not dependent on FS9 or FSX to run) from which you can plan flights in the Hawaiian Islands.Your friends may have not turned on the Avionics power switch, or even more likely didn't enable display of the navaids on Flight's Map.Map/Legend/Radio Navigation

Fr. Bill    

I understand that they will eventually be setting up some form of support forum. Possibly because they haven't done so yet is part of the reason they (the devs) have kept the beta forum open. They've asked for us to pass Q/A for them until formal support forum is opened up.
Cool charts, thanks! However... I flew from PHKO to the Kamuela VOR but the airport I flew too after that was somewhere on the 030 degree radial and I can't see it on the map at all... It wasn't the airport that on the 057 radial. Odd. Maybe MS added some small strips that aren't official? It was a small dirt strip indeed... Anyway, with the sectional I can guess where it should be. Nice! I might print this BIG on the printer at work... Nice.
By the way Jeroen a protractor is roughly equivalent to a 'geo-driehoek'.
Ah, a 'geo-driehoek', that I know. I already suspected it was something like that. :wink:

Ah, a 'geo-driehoek', that I know. I already suspected it was something like that. :wink:
gradeboog - protractor (Dutch & Afrikaans)

Fr. Bill    

Guest mna27

thanks the chart looks good, I'll try and print out a section. But back to the topic, the rate MS Flight is going now it's gonna cost $100's of dollars if you want to be able to fly anywhere and have a few planes. It's already $43 for just Hawaii and 4 planes....Imagine what it's gonna cost for North America and a few more planes......their trying to open this sim up to the public, but I don't see the average person spending more then $50 on a flight game.

Their whole business model is a joke.
Okay, you've stated your opinion once. Kindly reserve any further such to another website or forum.Thanks in advance.

Fr. Bill