Sign in to follow this  
Guest mna27

Outrageous Pricing hurting Microsoft Flight......

+1The size of the regions released is going to be a big factor for me whether I delve into DLC. If it's going to be $20 a state, well that's too much. Plus they might split up some states, Socal/ Norcal, Southern Nevada, Northern Nevada, etc. At $20 a pop, we're at +$1000 for the US alone.Also the next release should be interesting. Lets say they release Southern California but don't give an aircraft that will fly from Hawaii to Socal. Kind of pointless. Starting with Hawaii was a mistake unless they give us an appropriate aircraft too. Just my opinion and I'm really hoping they do this right.
I don't get it, there is peoples here who will fly over Orbx scenery only...how much did Orbx charge for PNW...$43.60us + airports like Concrete at $32.96us and you are b******* at a complete Hawaii (all islands and airport) for $20.00us......how nmuch do you think Orbx would have charge you for Hawaii and all the airports if they had made them....Try Alaska for the next DLC scenery release...(just a guess ....again).
I imagine that they have thought all of this through and have come to the same conclusions as you and the rest of us. They are certainly not any less capable than any of us. Clearly, though, we shall not be buying the entire world, or at least not most of us, and we don't fly most of the world in FS X either. Nor do most of us fly all the different types of aircraft that are available, although there is most certainly a segment of the market that does switch often. So, the price for DLC purchased by each user will rarely be into the atmospheric amounts, if we examine this realistically.Still, I agree that a large segment of the users of FS has never purchased an add-on, myself included, because either we get freeware or we make it ourselves. And this concept of DLC will hurt us much more than those users who have spent large sums on add-ons.Best regards.Luis
+1, on your post...and where do you think they got the idea of splitting the world in small area to make more money....about walking around the plane.....no wonder why some are really p*****.

I am not sweating it until I see something concrete. Selling the world section by section is not something untried in the annals of flight simming, and it actually seems to have worked out well.Remember also that the free model gets the base program into the hands of possibly millions and millions of people.All of the flight Sim market as we know it: all the Orbx's and Aerosofts and Avsims and all of the others, is comprised of the dregs of the remainder of the last wave of MS expansion. And its my personal opinion that if that hardcore had spared just a little attention to the vast majority of humanity left behind as flight Sims rushed off to alphabet soup technical nirvana-land, the market would possibly be healthy enough to be an attractive business target.Since what actually happened is that this hobby became the sole property of a steadily shrinking number of extremely technically minded people unable support the financial numbers necessary for development of a new simulator, I think we are in the "beggars cant be choosers" stage, like it or not.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

If it's going to be $20 a state, well that's too much. Plus they might split up some states
HelloIt may well be somewhere in europe which acording to Aerosofts sales figures is still the largest flight sim market.A look at the Avsim members map would indicate that it may be a worthwhile market to exploit

Guest mna27
I don't get it, there is peoples here who will fly over Orbx scenery only...how much did Orbx charge for PNW...$43.60us + airports like Concrete at $32.96us and you are b******* at a complete Hawaii (all islands and airport) for $20.00us......how nmuch do you think Orbx would have charge you for Hawaii and all the airports if they had made them....
The amount of people that spent $43.60 on an airport are very few, don't forget Microsoft is trying to attract a larger audience, and high prices is not the way to do it. I think a fair launch bundle price (to lure customers in) would be $20 for the RV-6, Maule and the rest of Hawaii.
I'm assuming that the MS marketing department has put more though and business analysis into the DLC pricing scheme than we have. Not that that necessarily means they are charging a fair price, but it presumably means they are charging the price they think will earn them the most money.
That's exactly the problem, they're thinking of what will make them the most money in the short term, instead of how to build a larger customer base for large profits in the long term.

That's exactly the problem, they're thinking of what will make them the most money in the short term, instead of how to build a larger customer base for large profits in the long term.
I doubt that. What they are trying to do is recover the several millions of dollars already invested in building the infrastructure and the core program as quickly as possible......until that happens, they are operating at a very large net loss...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I personally think the DLC pricing is a bit silly. For most of you guys who have been playing flight sims for years, the pricing might seem reasonable compared to other flight sims. However, from the point of view of a noob, somebody like me who hasn't really ever played a flight sim before and has a general gaming background, the prices are very steep. I think at the most they should be at Xbox 360 DLC pricing levels, which are generally 800-1200 MS points (not sure what this is in dollars as I am from outside of the USA). I am looking at Microsoft Flight, as I'm sure many noobs are, as a game as much as a flight simulator (possibly more the former than the latter). In this sense, if they really want to attract more people to flight sims, and therefore appeal to the first-timers and the general gamers, they need to seriously reduce pricing.

I don't get it, there is peoples here who will fly over Orbx scenery only...how much did Orbx charge for PNW...$43.60us + airports like Concrete at $32.96us and you are b******* at a complete Hawaii (all islands and airport) for $20.00us......how nmuch do you think Orbx would have charge you for Hawaii and all the airports if they had made them....
I don't own Orbx so your point is completely lost on me. I don't need to buy an Orbx package to fly to PNW in FSX but I will need to buy DLC if I want to fly to LAX in Flight. See the difference?

I don't own Orbx so your point is completely lost on me. I don't need to buy an Orbx package to fly to PNW in FSX but I will need to buy DLC if I want to fly to LAX in Flight. See the difference?
I understand what you'r saying, the point I was making is that some peoples think that $20.00 for the Hawaiian package is expensive.You still have FSX as I do, you are right, if I don't want to pay to enhance my experience in FSX I don't have to, I can use FSX default, same with Flight, I don't have to buy anything in Flight, I don't even have to download it, but I get your point.

I personally think the DLC pricing is a bit silly. For most of you guys who have been playing flight sims for years, the pricing might seem reasonable compared to other flight sims. However, from the point of view of a noob, somebody like me who hasn't really ever played a flight sim before and has a general gaming background, the prices are very steep. I think at the most they should be at Xbox 360 DLC pricing levels, which are generally 800-1200 MS points (not sure what this is in dollars as I am from outside of the USA). I am looking at Microsoft Flight, as I'm sure many noobs are, as a game as much as a flight simulator (possibly more the former than the latter). In this sense, if they really want to attract more people to flight sims, and therefore appeal to the first-timers and the general gamers, they need to seriously reduce pricing.
Sorry to disagree but how can you say that for a game like Flight that possibilities are almost endless (like FSX, still play it daily since 2006) compare to say, Need for Speed The Run which, after completed in about 24 hours of play time, will most likely collect dust ? I for one is fortunate to be able to afford any add-ons I like so Flight DLC does not rebuke me; my point is, as is, Flight interest may well surpass 24 hours of game time, even whitout buying any DLC....Alain from Montreal

I understand what you'r saying, the point I was making is that some peoples think that $20.00 for the Hawaiian package is expensive.You still have FSX as I do, you are right, if I don't want to pay to enhance my experience in FSX I don't have to, I can use FSX default, same with Flight, I don't have to buy anything in Flight, I don't even have to download it, but I get your point.
$20 for Hawaii is expensive if one has no interest in flying there and when compared to default FSX, if one was happy getting the whole world at FSX default.There are far better global enhancements for FSX than a single airport or even a single state if one wants to fly all over the world. If one just wants to fly in England, say, then $200 might be a reasonable price to pay for very high detail - if you are rich enough to afford that.The problem with Flight is that there is no choice and there never will be much of a choice. You are either in or you are on the outside looking in. Going by the latest poll, Hawaii just does not interest enough people to buy it for $20. Maybe not even for $10 if one does not really want to fly there. Given that there are no other options, Hawaii may have been worth $30 for those who bought it for $20. So, it is all relative to one's desire to fly in a certain region.We already know that most people's desire is either to fly wherever they want or around their home town/country/continent.So the limitation of having to fly in a place where one is flying only because there is no other choice, the product must be cheap.$20 for Hawaii by this standard is very expensive and hence people are not buying it in greater numbers.

Atila, I can fly all over the world with FSX default, I can also buy addons to enhance FSX (planes, scenery, REX or else), I can't buy Miami airport from Orbx as they do not make it, I'm limited to THEIR airports if I want to use Orbx scenery, does that make Orbx scenery more expensive because I can't have the airport I would like to fly in from them, should they sell their airports at $8.00 a pop until they make all airports?I live in Florida and I can't fly in a hurricane in real time weather or chase a tornado with REX as REX do not simulate them......I'm stuck with THEIR weather, does this make REX more expensive because something is missing from it, should they sell REX at $8.00 a pop until hurricane and tornado are simulated?$20 for Hawaii is expensive if one has no interest in flying there and when compared to default FSX, if one was happy getting the whole world at FSX default.You are 100% right about that, if MS release a DLC for Flight where I have no interest flying over, lets say Iraq, I will not buy it, that's for sure.

Edited by alainneedle1

You are 100% right about that, if MS release a DLC for Flight where I have no interest flying over, lets say Iraq, I will not buy it, that's for sure.
I totally understand where you're coming from, but just to play devils advocate, here's a what if: Lets say you want to fly from Iran to Israel. What happens when you come to Iran/Iraq border? Or maybe a more clear example: You own Arizona and Texas but not New Mexico. Will you be able to fly from Phoenix to Dallas without taking the northern route if you own those regions?

(Anyone got a tip for finding out the right headings etc. to or from a VOR...? Obviously there aren't many VOR/NDB's on the islands, so it's pretty hard finding some airports...)
There are several excellent online flight planners tailored for FS use with the information you need.Check out http://skyvector.com/, and http://www.flightsimaviation.com/_flight_planner.html just to name a couple from my personal bookmarks.SkyVector has scans of the sectionals that you can plan from very easily. And since they're for FS use, the frequencies listed are correct in MS Flight!Hope it helps!

I totally understand where you're coming from, but just to play devils advocate, here's a what if: Lets say you want to fly from Iran to Israel. What happens when you come to Iran/Iraq border? Or maybe a more clear example: You own Arizona and Texas but not New Mexico. Will you be able to fly from Phoenix to Dallas without taking the northern route if you own those regions?
you mean if you can flight over terrain that you dont own yet?? if thats your question , the same thing that happens when you only have the main island and enter the other islands you will get a warning about the aditional content with more detail , just dont click on buy now and continue flying over terrain with no detail thats all . Edited by rtodepart

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Personally I don't think $20 for Hawaii is expensive, based on fact that it gives you a quite detailed scenery, all the additional missions etc for that price, it's more of a package than just a bit of scenery. Of course if you no interest in flying there then it is expensive. I think when it comes to the price of something, it depends on the quality, example say the next dlc was the entire globe, contained no other content such as missions etc and it was fs98 graphics standard, then even 20 dollars in my opinion would be too expensive. When you compare it to the addon market now for fsx, then items like the ngx are more than worth the money they released it at, I'd have happily paid more for it, but if it was only as good as the default fsx 737 then it be far too overpriced. I think the addon aircraft for flight are expensive for what they are, the p51 doesn't even have a cockpit! Yes ok they give you more potential missions etc, so suppose they contain more than just a model, but far too expensive for the level of detail and systems they have, even taking into account they are not some modern glass cockpit, there still too many non clickable bits.An interesting thought though is what price things should be, take a look at the apple market, and apps there very rarely are above 15 dollars, with many around a couple at most, their cheapness makes them sell better. Where ms could fail is that if they release dlc that isn't of a particular high standard but charge a high ish price then it will start to make those with less means become wary of what they spend there money on, which means less likely to retain their interest in the sim(game) remember the hardcore simmers are the ones with money, and it's clear at present flight isn't aimed at them, so the younger/newer gamers are what are more likely to stay with flight( a good thing or all sims futures) but they have less cash, so it comes back to who the market is and what that market can afford to pay. With fsx, the most strapped cashed person could happily become involved with simming, never needing to spend a penny to fully enjoy flying jets, props around the world, yes at a somewhat reduced quality. So in summary the dlc needs to not only be what you want, but also of a high enough standard to demand its fee, or be cheap enough to just buy it anyhow. One things for certain, they need to release some more soon, as quite a few people are pretty much already completing most of what's in flight already, personally myself I'd like them to spend some time on enhancing flights core ability more though than just giving me another aircraft. The weather, controls, and some further graphic enhancements as I don't think it's really taking advantage of the present hardware capabilities at all.

Edited by JC75