Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

Time Utility

Hi Guys,Every once and a while I love to fly at dawn and/or dusk, the only problem, it doesn't stay dawn/dusk very long. Is there a utility that will keep the same time so it stays dawn/dusk for an unlimited amount of time and allows continuous use of FSX.It may sound like a weird request, but when you've found that Dawn/Dusk look that is just right I'd like it to last a little longer. Not sure if something like this is possible and/or if there will be any problems with fuel usage as a result of keeping the same time.Anyway, just a thought...Thanks

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

LOL, I also have an affection for dawn/dusk and sometimes things look just great and all of a sudden, texture reload and it's gone.scott s..

I believe you could do the following (be sure to back up your files FIRST!):Although there are 140 "sky_*.bmp" files in your FSX texture directory (14 sets of 10, each file is 5 KB), you could rename and copy a SINGLE favorite dawn/sunset texture file (for example, "sky_postdawn1_0.bmp") over top of the other 9 existing postdawn1 files ("sky_postdawn1_1.bmp" through "sky_postdawn1_9.bmp").The key is to get the copies of the favorite file renamed correctly and sequentially. In the end, FSX would unknowingly be cycling in the SAME favorite sky over the entire postdawn1 time period.There are other sky sets in the series that you could similarly copy and rename (in fact, I think this is what REX2 does using batch files). With this renaming technique, you could even make sunset last all night long!

Edited by sweetmusic

I thought I saw a util uploaded for that about 2 weeks ago. Can't remember if it was here or across the street at FS com.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Hi,That is exactly (FS2004/FSX Freeze Time Utility) what I'm looking for, I just hope I can get it to work. Hard to believe it was released almost four years ago and I've never heard of it before tonight.Thanks

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Thats an interesting utility. Wonder how that would interact with a VA's Acars flight recording system. I suppose it doesnt effect time just the scenery.

Edited by Barnstormer1

That is my utility and I am surprised to see it has been renamed FSFreezeTime. At least it still has my name on it.

I suppose it doesnt effect time just the scenery.
It keeps the time within FS constant therefore anything running which depends upon FS time as opposed to system time will be affected.

Hi,That is exactly (FS2004/FSX Freeze Time Utility) what I'm looking for, I just hope I can get it to work. Hard to believe it was released almost four years ago and I've never heard of it before tonight.Thanks
Mike, you may want to check how this utility interacts with AI aircraft. I used it awhile back but had not checked. Your AI may freeze in time also but not sure.RegardsBob

What we simmers sometimes wanna do lol... Tell us how it works Mike!

Graham,,"That is my utility and I am surprised to see it has been renamed FSFreezeTime. At least it still has my name on it."Tell'em to use your produt name and give you credits.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

That is my utility and I am surprised to see it has been renamed FSFreezeTime. At least it still has my name on it.It keeps the time within FS constant therefore anything running which depends upon FS time as opposed to system time will be affected.
Hi Graham,Will it affect AI Traffic?Bob

I believe you could do the following (be sure to back up your files FIRST!):Although there are 140 "sky_*.bmp" files in your FSX texture directory (14 sets of 10, each file is 5 KB), you could rename and copy a SINGLE favorite dawn/sunset texture file (for example, "sky_postdawn1_0.bmp") over top of the other 9 existing postdawn1 files ("sky_postdawn1_1.bmp" through "sky_postdawn1_9.bmp").The key is to get the copies of the favorite file renamed correctly and sequentially. In the end, FSX would unknowingly be cycling in the SAME favorite sky over the entire postdawn1 time period.There are other sky sets in the series that you could similarly copy and rename (in fact, I think this is what REX2 does using batch files). With this renaming technique, you could even make sunset last all night long!
Just a footnote: After thinking more about this technique, I forgot about the sun and moon! Seeing the sun well above the horizon at dawn or dusk would be silly, but overwriting the sky_midnight textures might still work. Anyway, I would definitely try Graham's utility. Let us know how it works out. Edited by sweetmusic

Hi,OK, I had some time to play with this utility. Although it's what I'm looking for, It unfortunately causes the sim to reload every minute to maintain the selected dawn/dusk time. During the reload, I get a pop up (loading) screen that ruins the continuous display of the simulated flight. It also affects AI aircraft, they go back to their original position every minute.I guess what I'm looking for is not possible without some type of hesitation/pause in the sim.