•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo
- - - - -

Microsoft Flight SDK

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 javfn

javfn

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 8 Months and 6 Days Ago.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hello everyone!Does somebody knows what do I need to start developing for Microsof Flight? or if there is gonna be a SDK? and when is it gonna be released? I apreciate your replies.Javier

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 tgibson

tgibson

Member - 3,000+

• Members
  • 3,031 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 24 Days Ago.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

No third party developers (and thus SDK) for at least a year, according to the project leader (see Joshua's interview on the web). And it is not clear if/when it is opened up that there will be any way to distribute addons except MS's store (~30% cut to MS), and I would expect it unlikely that there will be much (if any) freeware offered via that route.Hope this helps,

#3 javfn

javfn

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hi Tom!What are your sources and do you have a link to the interview you said in yor post?Javier

#4 tgibson

tgibson

Member - 3,000+

• Members
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

I got this info from an AVSIM forum post:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/364206-joshua-howard-interview-yesterday-grilled-about-third-party-support/and here's the interview:http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/interview-joshua-howard-microsoft-flight/091961Hope this helps,

#5 mgh

mgh

Member - 5,000+

• Members
  • 7,396 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 3 Months and 18 Days Ago.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

The Flight SDK may not be publically available even if it's released. The Xbox SDK isn't - not even for tools and middleware. It's only available to approved developers who have signed up with Microsoft.

Edited by mgh, 06 March 2012 - 05:14 PM.

Gerry Howard

#6 tgibson

tgibson

Member - 3,000+

• Members
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Very true, which means no freeware development at all. I would predict they will probably be using high end tools anyway (I have heard they use Max at MS), and those would be out of reach of most freeware developers anyway.I assume they haven't even thought about the strategy for 3rd party developers yet - they have other priorities at this point, as those interviews make clear. It could end up anything from "by MS invitation only" to "freeware available in the MS store". No way to know at this point...

#7 phjvh

phjvh

phjvh

• Members
  • 2,247 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 2 Months and 5 Days Ago.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

So, also no panel and gauge design, which is 80% of the hobby for individuals like me?
Jan

"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

#8 ddawson

ddawson

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 1 Month and 24 Days Ago.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

So, also no panel and gauge design, which is 80% of the hobby for individuals like me?

Indeed. Those of us that are in this to build stuff are now stuck in the past!Doug

#9 n4gix

n4gix

Forum Moderator

• 12,074 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 7 Months and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

Well, since nearly all of the gauge work is embedded XML (or equivalent) in the model itself, true. However, the presence of the very primitive "GPS" in the Icon A5 does show that some more traditional 2d gauges are provided for.

Fr. Bill     us.png

Global Moderator

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

"It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading." (Shin'a'in Proverb)

avsim_logo_small-100x50.png

#10 mgh

mgh

Member - 5,000+

• Members
  • 7,396 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 3 Months and 18 Days Ago.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

A further thought. Microsoft has (presumably) included anti-piracy feastures to prevebnt DLC being used on any other version of Flight than the one it was downloaded for.These features would need to be by-passed if freeware add-ons were to be distributed. That would also enable commercial developers' add-ons to be distributed without using Microsoft's store and paying royalties. I can't see how Microsoft could distinguish between free and commercial add-ons.

Gerry Howard

#11 javfn

javfn

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

Well, it seems Microsoft doesn´t want to share its pie this time. So sad for the big devolopers but also for the smaller ones, the third party add-ons will remain hooked in the previosus version of FS. I have several instrument panels code I wanted to upgrade to Flight but seems it won't be possible, besides I cannot buy FSX in stores now since it is not available anymore here in Mexico. I wonder what options do I have to make this upgrade of the panels of mine.Javier

#12 tgibson

tgibson

Member - 3,000+

• Members
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

FSX is still available online - places like Amazon, etc.

#13 mad dog

mad dog

Member - 4,000+

• Donor
  • 4,679 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 9 Months and 25 Days Ago.

Donator

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Well, it seems Microsoft doesn´t want to share its pie this time. So sad for the big devolopers but also for the smaller ones, the third party add-ons will remain hooked in the previosus version of FS. I have several instrument panels code I wanted to upgrade to Flight but seems it won't be possible, besides I cannot buy FSX in stores now since it is not available anymore here in Mexico. I wonder what options do I have to make this upgrade of the panels of mine.Javier

HelloFSX is now available to buy as a download direct from MS

#14 javfn

javfn

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hello mad dog! That sounds great! Do you have a link I can follow?Javier

#15 mad dog

mad dog

Member - 4,000+

• Donor
  • 4,679 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 9 Months and 25 Days Ago.

Donator

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hello mad dog! That sounds great! Do you have a link I can follow?Javier

HelloThere is a thread about it in the main FSX forum, unfortunately for some reason I am banned from it so cannot post the direct link :(

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!