Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Regarding whether the whole world will be modeled

So I was perusing through my pilot profile, taking a look at how many hours I have logged, how many crashes, etc.Has anyone noticed, there is a category for " times around planet" ?Does that not seem to indicate at some point they plan to have the whole globe modeled or am I reading this wrong?

Or it could be times around the planet. :smile:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

So I was perusing through my pilot profile, taking a look at how many hours I have logged, how many crashes, etc.Has anyone noticed, there is a category for " times around planet" ?Does that not seem to indicate at some point they plan to have the whole globe modeled... ?
I very much doubt that..

Bert

Thing is if they do intend to model the whole world they can't do it at the quality of Hawaii and Alsaka, it would take forever. So when ( and if ) big jets do come along they will surely have to make a lower resolution entire globe ( or continents) to give the jets somehwere to fly to. So I'm hoping ( along with ATC and AI ) that they will take all the scenery in FSx and convert it to the flight model and sell it as an additional pack. I would happily buy Europe if it was the equivalent of FSX, will a few major airports in high quality.There's always hope. Fingers crossed.

Being that there is a lot of legacy FSX code in Flight! and being that FSX modeled the entire globe, I would think that it is highly likely that Flight! does so too...albeit at a very low resolution.

With Hawaii and Alaska (0.61 million square miles), they have ~1/94 of Earth's total land mass done (57.5 million square miles).If MS releases an average of 1 million square miles/month, the entire planet will be rendered in less then 5 years. :)

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

In the beta version, that number had two decimal places. When I'd flown 10,000 miles, it read close to 0.50Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Being that there is a lot of legacy FSX code in Flight! and being that FSX modeled the entire globe, I would think that it is highly likely that Flight! does so too...albeit at a very low resolution.
Confirmed..I took this post from another thread and it seemed the most logical way to confirm if the MS Flight `world' is really a nuked version of the FSX Globe.
So, after seeing it on the PDF, has anyone tried flying up to French Frigate Shoals to see if there's anything there, even if just a speck of blank landmass? The RV-6 and Maule should be able to get there easily. Heck, the Maule might even be able to stretch and reach Johnston Atoll. If there is anything there, that speaks well for the rest of the world already being there, awaiting detail.I may be able to give that a try tomorrow.
I map spawned as far west-north west of Barking Sands as the map allowed then set out of a dead reckoning flight following a west/northwest flight pathAbout 45 minutes or so into the flight I noticed black square tile on the water..Top down map view in game. This is obviously where Nihoa would be.066de26e.jpgContinuing on my west/northwest flight path it was endless walls of water.. Then finally after what seemed like ever (hour or so??) Another black square and splashes of tropical shallow water came into view.96c434b0.jpgLooking at the map view.. Sure as heck this is the French Frigate Shoals.82d82563.jpg4d0a5828.jpg504149bf.jpg

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

This is from Flight's webpage in the "Partners" section."Whether providing the nuts-and-bolts details with which we design and build our aircraft or the data we use to re-create the entire planet, many organizations and companies have contributed to Microsoft Flight. Our partnerships extend beyond the box as well, as we work with and support businesses, non-profits, and individuals in their aviation-related endeavors. On this page we'll highlight some of these partnerships."Don't know if it means anything or not, may just me a figure of speech.....

Confirmed..I took this post from another thread and it seemed the most logical way to confirm if the MS Flight `world' is really a nuked version of the FSX Globe.I map spawned as far west-north west of Barking Sands as the map allowed then set out of a dead reckoning flight following a west/northwest flight pathAbout 45 minutes or so into the flight I noticed black square tile on the water..Top down map view in game. This is obviously where Nihoa would be.Continuing on my west/northwest flight path it was endless walls of water.. Then finally after what seemed like ever (hour or so??) Another black square and splashes of tropical shallow water came into view.Looking at the map view.. Sure as heck this is the French Frigate Shoals.
Awesome! Thanks for saving me the trouble of doing that. I still may hop in the Maule and strike out for Johnston Atoll. I'll take along a stand-up paddleboard to get back to Hawaii with, since I certainly don't expect to find fuel there.I'd consider this fairly strong evidence that the entire globe is already there, but with all the land details removed.

I can't remember who said that again..."Everything is there, locked but there" ....if I remember who said that I'll let you know.@ styckx, have you tried to land on where Nihoa is?....... :Chicken:

Styckx,Your made me laugh with delight. The spirit of the Explorers is alive and well on this Flight board. Perhaps you should try and land and plant a flag! Cheers, Tom

I have heard that the entire world is there, but in low res--and new areas (first being Alaska) will come out as DLC with higher res. The rumor says, the world is there, BUT, as there is no aircraft in the present set that could get you from, say Hilo Intl to LAX or whatever, you can't travel to it. Dont know if its true.