Sign in to follow this  
olealm

Getting rid of the destination marker

I have noticed that some of you hare-core simmers want to get rid of the destination marker during jobs and missions.This is one way (at least it worked for me):1. Make sure MS Flight is not running.2. Open the folder users<user>AppdataRoamingMicrosoftFlight (Windows 7).3. Make a backup of the file flight.cfg.4. Open the file flight.cfg in your favorite text editor. 5. Scroll down until you find this setting:[PointOfInterestSystem]VisibleSetting=06. change the setting to "1".7. Save the file and start MS Flight. This will disable the destination markers.Not sure what other effects this will have, but you will still get your creds after doing a job/mission.Note. This will make it difficult to find the parking lots after landing etc.

You can also uncheck the Point Of Interest in the Gameplay settings via the options menu.

Brandon Filer

You can also uncheck the Point Of Interest in the Gameplay settings via the options menu.
The text for that setting indicates it controls Aerocache and Multiplayer POIs, not the annoying Destination Marker. Making the edit in Post #1 still allows you to see the others.

The text for that setting indicates it controls Aerocache and Multiplayer POIs, not the annoying Destination Marker. Making the edit in Post #1 still allows you to see the others.
You're right RoboRay, disabling Point of Interest in the in-game option setting only disables Aerocache and MP AOI - you still get the direction marker during job unless you make the edit in flight.cfg.(but I wonder why there isn't a setting for the destination marker part in the options menu, when all the code for it obviously is present already..).

You're right RoboRay, disabling Point of Interest in the in-game option setting only disables Aerocache and MP AOI - you still get the direction marker during job unless you make the edit in flight.cfg.(but I wonder why there isn't a setting for the destination marker part in the options menu, when all the code for it obviously is present already..).
Yes and there is a lot more code in there that should have made in into the menu options, like the joystick sensitivity, null zones, etc - I suspect them not making into the intitial release was partly a result of the earlier than scheduled release , and they had to take care of the bugs and most important items first.Nice thing about this ecosystem of Flight, they can make changes and push them out pretty much anytime... I expect at some point we will see more things like that added to the various options in the menu.

Or, if they want to keep the menus "simple" for new users, they could add an "advanced menus" checkbox to display all the additional tweaks.

Or, if they want to keep the menus "simple" for new users, they could add an "advanced menus" checkbox to display all the additional tweaks.
Yes, whats the point of having lots of (useful) settings in a cfg file and no GUI to change them.. :)

The problem is with the landing. In case you are flying a job the game does not give you credit for the job if you land at the wrong end of the runway. You would have to keep the HUD open to find out the wind direction and still after that the only way mostly to find the parking would be through skipping the last part.Alex

MS simply has to add a toggle to turn all signs and what not on and off. :wink:

The problem is with the landing. In case you are flying a job the game does not give you credit for the job if you land at the wrong end of the runway. You would have to keep the HUD open to find out the wind direction and still after that the only way mostly to find the parking would be through skipping the last part.
Are there Jobs that require you to use a specific runway, or do they all simply point to a desirable runway for the current wind conditions?As to finding the parking spot, I'm also trying to determine whether or not all jobs at each airfield consistently start/stop at the same ramp spot. If so, I'm planning to mark those spots on airport diagrams for my own reference, so I may as well make them available to all. I just need feedback on whether or not my assumption that each airport has a single parking spot used for Jobs is correct.

Are there Jobs that require you to use a specific runway, or do they all simply point to a desirable runway for the current wind conditions?
I believe all the job board missions are like that. Many times I have landed on a runway from the opposite end and it simply did not register as a landing. I had to do a touch and go and fly in again from the other end to register. Can others confirm this as well?

It would be nice if MS added an option to the job/mission that if you remove the destination, it gives you a bonus. Having to use real world nav is much more difficult then flying to a big yellow diamond.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Hi FolksNow you've found outhow to disable the POI Waypoint markers and POI Waypoint direction indicatorsGo do those bushstrip landing challenges. :LMAO:I've never felt so frustrated,died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly,yet had so much fun, in a long time. ATBPaul

I believe all the job board missions are like that. Many times I have landed on a runway from the opposite end and it simply did not register as a landing. I had to do a touch and go and fly in again from the other end to register. Can others confirm this as well?
I just tested this... simply taxiing across a wrong, not even intersecting, runway advanced the dialog to "take off", so I took off, from the wrong runway, in the wrong direction. The dialog advanced to "climb out" and so forth. I then landed at the destination going the wrong direction, as there was no other runway to use, and the dialog advanced to "taxi to the unloading area." I never got anywhere near the landing point marker before it disappeared. I'll do some more testing, though.On the other hand, it looks like different jobs have different start/stop parking spots, as starting a cargo job put me on a different spot from a hamburger job at the same field. Hopefully it's at least consistent by type of job (as in, cargo flights will always use the same parking spot). Again, more testing is required. Feedback from other's experience is, of course, welcome.EDIT: Nope, it looks like you get random parking spots, even within the same type of Job. That sucks. Until MS provides a world object to mark the correct parking spot for arrivals, such as a lineman, the only certain way to find your spot is to leave the POI marker on, or Skip to the final waypoint. I guess I'll be skipping the taxi process... I'd rather lose points for skipping that than be annoyed by the glowing "FLY OVER HERE" marker in my windscreen that eliminates all need for actual navigation.Hmmm... Maybe MS can be convinced to set a range-limitation for the Destination Marker... Say, it doesn't show up if more than 5 miles away, or something. They already have code in place to do this for aerocaches. It's Feedback time, I guess.