Sign in to follow this  
RoboRay

Yaw Trim buttons

Ok, I finally figured out how to control the Maule's rudder trim from the keyboard or joystick buttons rather than having to use the mouse over the VC knob...Edit the standard.XML file (located at %localappdata%MicrosoftFlightPlayersletters&numbersCareerControlsstandard.xml), AFTER making a backup copy of your original file, so you can restore it if anything goes wrong.Add these lines into the appropriate section for your keyboard or joystick. You can map those keys to some other function in the game to help you identify the correct location and button name. <Entry> <Key>VK_RIGHT</Key> <Down> <EventName>FlightControls.YawTrimRightIncrement</EventName> </Down> </Entry> <Entry> <Key>VK_LEFT</Key> <Down> <EventName>FlightControls.YawTrimLeftIncrement</EventName> </Down> </Entry>My example uses the keyboard Left and Right arrows for rudder trim.The exact commands will be a little different for joystick buttons, but you can look at how the other joystick buttons are listed in the XML file to see how that works. The Yaw Trim commands will follow the same format as the Pitch Trim buttons. The easy way to do it would be to map your desired yaw trim buttons to pitch trim in the game, then edit the file to change the pitch trim entries to yaw trim entries.Note that this will give you working rudder trim in the RV-6, which I haven't managed to find a knob for in the VC (please let me know if it's even there), but not for the Icon or Stearman. I guess they just aren't equipped with rudder trim tabs.

Awesome thanks. Just last night I was looking for the mappings for this.

Hi RoboRay: Good tip.Yeah, I have also assigned the yaw trim buttons to my joystick (posted it somewhere here) ; they work great for the Maule; however I recommend you also assign the “CenterRollYawTrim” to another button so you can reset the “Rudder Trim”.This is especially important in case you change your aircraft to the RV-6A, as those trim settings might get stuck (Left or Right) and thus make the RV-6A hard to fly.Remember that the standard.xml file might get to be overwritten and assignments will be reset, but not the aircraft controls. And, if during shutdown of your last flight you did not reset the yaw trim, the next time you fly the yaw trim will be set to whatever it was when you quitted.So I recommend that you assign “FlightControls.CenterRollYawTrim” to another button.You can also assign Roll Trim

RollTrimLeftIncrement

RollTrimRightIncrement

Cheers

Very good tip on the button for centering trim. That will be incorporated into my Shutdown Checklist. Thanks!

Hi,I modified the Standard.xml in accordance with the information presented in the original post and it seems to work fine. I only checked the operation in the RV-6. The following posts now have me confused. The caution about the settings getting stuck in the RV-6(A?) has me scratching my head. The intention of the modifications was to enable trim in the RV-6 so under what conditions might it get stuck?The problem I was trying to address was an unwanted slight left turning tendency in the RV-6. I'm able to null this with the Yaw trim but how can I determine that it wouldn't be better to null it with the "RollTrim" adjustments mentioned in the post by Kabronicus.And finally, what is the source of these trim adjustments? I couldn't find any reference to them elsewhere.And really finally, thanks so much for all the good information posted!Jim F.

The caution about the settings getting stuck in the RV-6(A?) has me scratching my head. The intention of the modifications was to enable trim in the RV-6 so under what conditions might it get stuck?The problem I was trying to address was an unwanted slight left turning tendency in the RV-6. I'm able to null this with the Yaw trim but how can I determine that it wouldn't be better to null it with the "RollTrim" adjustments mentioned in the post by Kabronicus.And finally, what is the source of these trim adjustments? I couldn't find any reference to them elsewhere.
Hi Jim:The word of caution is because it is wise to reset all trim controls to neutral at the end of a flight.On this game, we might forget to check trims before TO or flying, and then if we forget we had little or much Pitch, Yaw or Roll trim our next flight might be difficult to control.The controls getting stuck was a figure of speech, bad wording from me.The source of this adjustments is well.. Inside Flight (and FSX) and sadly there are no references; yet.

what is the source of these trim adjustments? I couldn't find any reference to them elsewhere.
No source except trial & error. I just played around in the CFG file, using the elevator trim entries as a guide, until I found the right commands.

Sorry Guys, I already posted the 7 trim commands on another thread, but should have posted them here too.

FlightControls.PitchTrimUpIncrement

FlightControls.PitchTrimDownIncrement

FlightControls.RollTrimLeftIncrement

FlightControls.RollTrimRightIncrement

FlightControls.YawTrimLeftIncrement

FlightControls.YawTrimRightIncrement

FlightControls.CenterRollYawTrim

Hey guys,Trying to wrap my arms around this thread.If I understand correctly, the purpose is to add both yaw trim, and roll trim, as they currently do not exist in the controls section of the Flight menu, as well as the standard xml file? And by doing so, these will work with only the aircarft equipped with trim tabs, like the Maule and RV6?I noticed in the standard xml file, there is also a line containing <index> entry, usually followed by a number and then closed with another <index> entry, like in the AileronSetAxis and ElevatorSetAxis statements, is this not required in the above additions to the standard xml?Regarding centering the trim, so if I understand correctly if I am flying say the RV6 - and have the pitch trim adjusted appropriately for my landing, what your saying is the next time I hop in the RV6 for say a challenge or free flight , upon TO the last position my pitch trim was in will still be in effect? Is this aircraft specifice, or would it be in effect even if I change aircraft for my next flight? And to get around this, I need to add the Center___Trim statement so the trim can be reset for each item, like roll, pitch, yaw?Anyway, sorry may be dumb questions just trying to wrap my head around this topic and fine tuning the trim in Flight.I am learning a lot on things that can be tweaked for the better by the great information shared in this forum, that is sure.Thanks,

Trying to wrap my arms around this thread.If I understand correctly, the purpose is to add both yaw trim, and roll trim, as they currently do not exist in the controls section of the Flight menu, as well as the standard xml file? And by doing so, these will work with only the aircarft equipped with trim tabs, like the Maule and RV6?
Yes, and yes.
I noticed in the standard xml file, there is also a line containing <index> entry, usually followed by a number and then closed with another <index> entry, like in the AileronSetAxis and ElevatorSetAxis statements, is this not required in the above additions to the standard xml?
Axis commands are used to set up analog controls, like a joystick axis. Using the ones you'd mentioned, AileronSetAxis would generally be assigned to the "X" or horizontal axis and ElevatorSetAxis would be assigned to the "Y" or vertical axis of the joystick.I'm going to be playing with the file today to see if Trim Axis commands exist, so I can assign the trim knobs on my shiny new Logitech G940 set that just arrived yesterday.
Regarding centering the trim, so if I understand correctly if I am flying say the RV6 - and have the pitch trim adjusted appropriately for my landing, what your saying is the next time I hop in the RV6 for say a challenge or free flight , upon TO the last position my pitch trim was in will still be in effect? Is this aircraft specifice, or would it be in effect even if I change aircraft for my next flight? And to get around this, I need to add the Center___Trim statement so the trim can be reset for each item, like roll, pitch, yaw?
Under some conditions, Flight remembers control settings (even down to the radio channels set) when you reload into them. I haven't explored exactly when this is true and when it isn't. In any case, it would be tricky to reset the trims to zero with keypresses, especially on the ground, if you don't even have an indicator or VC knob for them. This makes having a "trim reset" button important.
Anyway, sorry may be dumb questions just trying to wrap my head around this topic and fine tuning the trim in Flight.I am learning a lot on things that can be tweaked for the better by the great information shared in this forum, that is sure.
There are no dumb questions, only dead pilots that didn't ask enough questions. We're just trying to figure this stuff out ourselves, since there doesn't seem to be anyone to ask except MS, and they aren't talking. :unknw:

Thanks for the great explanations RoboRay - now I pretty much have full understanding.I will add these to my xml file as well also - and just make it a habit to be sure and reset all my trims to neutral upon landing.Great info - if not already you might want to submit to the tutorial section for Flight's early tutorials.Thanks again,

Guys, Don; RoboRay is correct on all points.Not seeing commands on the standard.xml or the commands section of flight does not mean they don't exist, actually there are probably hundreads more. :ph34r:This is part of what I uploaded to the site regarding button assignments:Hope this helps clear thing a bit.

In my case the Standard.xml file sometimes (when I change assignments) is being rewritten when Flight shuts down.So I have written a basic .bat file that overwrites it with a tweaked file.I suppose when the xml parser doesn't like an element it overwrites the values.On The Logitech Attack 3 Joystick I have assigned buttons to adjust all Trims Pitch, Roll and Yaw, also .CenterRollYawTrim<SimControls.Map> <MapName>Logitech Attack 3{07E5FA30-452E-11E1-8001-444553540000}.{45AAD43A-A9BC-40E0-96BA-A3E3577BBE53}</MapName> <MapVersion>6</MapVersion> <Axis> <AxName>XAxis</AxName> <Index>0</Index> <EventName>FlightControls.AileronSetAxis</EventName> <AxScale>1.000000</AxScale> <AxNull>0.100000</AxNull> </Axis> <Axis> <AxName>YAxis</AxName> <Index>1</Index> <EventName>FlightControls.ElevatorSetAxis</EventName> <AxScale>1.000000</AxScale> <AxNull>0.100000</AxNull> </Axis> <Axis> <AxName>ZAxis</AxName> <Index>2</Index> <EventName>Engine.ThrottleSetAxis</EventName> <AxScale>1.000000</AxScale> </Axis> <Entry> <Index>0</Index> <Down> <EventName>Brakes.Increment</EventName> <Repeat>32.000000</Repeat> </Down> </Entry> <Entry> <Index>1</Index> <Down> <EventName>FlightControls.PitchTrimUpIncrement</EventName> </Down> </Entry> <Entry> <Index>2</Index> <Down> <EventName>FlightControls.PitchTrimDownIncrement</EventName> </Down> </Entry> <Entry> <Index>3</Index> <Down> <EventName>FlightControls.YawTrimLeftIncrement</EventName> </Down> </Entry> <Entry> <Index>4</Index> <Down> <EventName>FlightControls.YawTrimRightIncrement</EventName> </Down> </Entry> <Entry> <Index>5</Index> <Down> <EventName>LandingGear.ToggleHandle</EventName> </Down> </Entry> <Entry> <Index>6</Index> <Down> <EventName>FlightControls.CenterRollYawTrim</EventName> </Down> </Entry> <Entry> <Index>7</Index> <Down> <EventName>FlightControls..RollTrimLeftIncrement</EventName> </Down> </Entry> <Entry> <Index>8</Index> <Down> <EventName>FlightControls..RollTrimRightIncrement</EventName> </Down> </Entry> <Entry> <Index>9</Index> <Down> <EventName>FlightControls.FlapIncrementStart</EventName> </Down> <Up> <EventName>FlightControls.FlapIncrementStop</EventName> </Up> </Entry> <Entry> <Index>10</Index> <Down> <EventName>FlightControls.FlapDecrementStart</EventName> </Down> <Up> <EventName>FlightControls.FlapDecrementStop</EventName> </Up> </Entry></SimControls.Map>

Thanks for the info Ramon.I did not realize that file may get overwritten - guess I have been lucky so far in that regard as mine has not. Sounds like a change that it does not like , rather than prompting say an error message when launching flight, simply overwrites the standard.xml with an original default file.Probably might be a good thing to not only have a back up of the original standard.xml, but occasional backups of the modded standard.xml.

Hi,I was attempting to assign "FlightControls.CenterRollYawTrim" to the "5" key on the Numpad. Within Flight I temporarily assigned the key to an event so I could examine the Standard.xml to determine the "Key" name. I found the key to be "VK_Clear" (strange). During this I noted that I had to exit Flight to see the updated version of Standard.xml. I re-started Flight, returned the event to the original key assignment and soon discovered that all of my assignments had returned to the defaults.I may have hit "Default" at some point, thinking that only the specific assignment would be set to default but I don't recall doing this.I'm posting this in case someone has something similar happen. I had made multiple manual edits when incorporating the yaw trim events without a problem.This is simply advisory in nature and if anyone experiences anything similar please post.Jim F.

So I recommend that you assign “FlightControls.CenterRollYawTrim” to another button. Cheers
Does that assignment center both Roll and Yaw trim then?