Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAdlai

AI Aircraft FDE

Hi all, I'm wondering why AI aircraft will sometimes make some huge mistake, such as diving into the ocean, or landing almost 100 nmi from the airport. These rarely happen though, and I'm more concerned about what does happen a lot, such as AI landing short of the runway. I see this mostly at airports on the ocean, but also at some inland ones, such as KMEM and KPDX. I'd say about a sixth of the FedEx AI land a few miles short at KMEM. Also, what's with the AI using full flaps while cruising? Another thing is how they'll start their descent at around 20 nmi sometomes, which means a steep descent. A very steep descent. Thanks,

Guest firehawk44
wondering why AI aircraft will sometimes make some huge mistake, such as diving into the ocean
What AI program are you using or are you talking about the default? Commercial AI Programs, such as MyTrafficX, come with their own AFCADS and flight plans so the things you talk about don't happen. However, if you have layered another scenery program above MyTrafficX, that program's AFCAD's will overwrite (take priority over) the MyTrafficX AFCAD's and landings and takeoffs could be disasterous. So it really is how things are layered in your Scenery Library. Of course the commercial AI programs do have issues and the developers are always anxious to find out what the problems are so they can maybe fix them in an update. For freeware AI programs, you're really on your own. You will just have to learn how to edit a traffic.bgl, find the appropriate flight plan that causes an aircraft to land in the ocean or fall short of an airport, and modify it or delete it. Best regards,Jim

Before I decided my computer wasn't good enough for FSX, hence my not being able to perform any tests for a few months, I was using WOAI, along with my own compiled FedEx, and Congo Express. I also used some of the MAIW packages. These are what I'm going to use on the new computer. I could be wrong, but I doubt it has to do with the flight plans, since, as far as I know, all those do is tell the AI what route to follow, the cruise altitude, and the airline/callsign. I'm guessing it's an issue with FSX itself, and how it vectors the AI. Thanks,

The cruising speed setting in your complied flight plans is too high. AI is spawned about 100 miles out, and sometimes with a high cruising speed they are far too high to properly descend in time. ALso you are probably overloading the atc with so much ai. Do you use editvoicepack and speed up the talking speed?

I was using EditVoicePack X, with speed set to high. On my next setup, I'll be using Radar Contact, for ultimate realism. Regarding speeds, the AI always cruised at reasonable speeds. It's not all aircraft remember, as I'll see most aircraft descending normally, with lets say 1 out of 50 too steep. It's most commonly medium sized aircraft, such as the A320, or 737. Thanks,

Once for kicks I took off behind an FSX AI Cessna 172 and flew formation with it for about 45 minutes. The Cessna took off from Watsonville, CA (KWVI), flew north for a while, then south. It eventually landed at Salinas (KSNS). The flight was realistic and uneventful.Another time I followed an AI plane which promptly flew directly into a mountain side!

Whenever I compiled AI, I always made sure to check their speed, since AIFP displays them in a nice format. And again, I'll see one SWA 737-300 descending at a reasonable descent rate (or even less than reasonable), and then another SWA 737-300 descending as if they had explosive decompression. Also, does anyone know why aircraft sometimes use full flaps while cruising, with the DC-3, and MD-11 being the ones I've noticed it on most? Was that plane that flew into the hill a prop or a jet? And what was the terrain around like? Thanks,

Hi AllIve seen ai traffic have trouble on the initial spawns then settle out ok. When I make or modify an airport I will sit and watch ai traffic for maybe an hour just see how it does with my new mods. Maybe one eye on the tv to.I only see weird things at first then they settle down. Landing short. Flying one right behind another causing go rounds. It just seams to be once the flight planes settle in then the allowed variables take over and all is well. Definitely working with one or more ai programs can cause issues. I also don't see any problems after a long flight and sitting watching ai. My experience seems to be just the initial spawns.Fly, Be FreeMike