Sign in to follow this  
Stick

Permanently restricting visibility in FSX

Hi all,In FS9, we had the option in the registered version of FSUIPC, to set a maximum visibility level with the sim, that would apply regardless of other settings made in FS9's weather page.I loved that feature, as my pet hate is 'unlimited visibility' within the sim, and I always fly with viz between 5nm and 30nm.Fast forward to FSX, and those visibility options are no longer in FSUIPC4; something I never questioned until now.I would so love to set the same permanent restriction to visibility (for example setting it to a max of 30nm) in FSX.Is this possible by any other way ?Thanks.

HelloI use AS2012 and use it to set my min and max visibilities

This always baffles me as to why someone would want to do that. I can't count the days in RL that I have seen well over 100nm visibility and its the same in FSX, the current weather determines distance.

Jay

When not using weather add-on's, you take your default flight. start FSX it will be loading. Set the weather and visibility to what you want it to be. SAVE the "default" flight.Each time you load fsx it will automatically load the limited visibility you have set.

REX can do this aswell as AS2012. I also found that Enb Series, because of the bloom I think, took down visibility a lot, too much for me actually LOL

This always baffles me as to why someone would want to do that. I can't count the days in RL that I have seen well over 100nm visibility and its the same in FSX, the current weather determines distance.
Because I don't like FSX's portrayal of visibility above 30nm. Pretty simple. FSX is not real life; in real life, we'd have a natural and varying landscape off into the distance. In FSX (and most sims to be fair), we either have repetitive tiles, or else photoscenery that doesn't render too well in far off distances. So for me, I just prefer to fly with viz at 30nm or less.
HI StickI use openCloudshttp://www.fsopen.co...are/openclouds/video on the subjectbob
Many thanks, Bob, I'll take a look at that. :( I have recently re-loaded REX, but as it is from a DVD, it is an older version (I think from 2008) so I probably need an update, as there are no options to reduce visibility by default, in the V1.0 that I'm using.Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. :)

WOW......... I just tried the OpenClouds demo (UK only) and this is the most convincing weather I have seen in FSX to date. It absolutely nails the visibility as well as all the usual missing data issues connected with from FSX real world weather. WInds aloft are also superb now, as is fog. :smile:For the rest of the world, it's £10 per year for a subscription (it uses the developers dedicated server to deliver the weather every time you connect, and at regular intervals during your flight).I just ordered a licence..... VERY happy with this! .. exactly what I wanted, no messy, long-winded set up and preferences, just loads the real weather, but far, far, better depicted and presented than it is with FSX's default RW weather.Thanks for the heads up about this :(

Mmm, less impressed with the FS Open purchasing experience. The page just before my PayPal payment was processed said "The licence is usually sent immediately after the PayPal payment", yet having made a successful payment, I've recieved no licence, and 2 emails to the developer have gone unanswered; sure it's a Saturday night, but these days is it really acceptable to have to sit after having handed over money and wait until someone can be bothered (fitting around their home life and routine) to log into their emails, notice my payment and send me a licence. Shame, as most people will be using the freeware version of OpenCloud, so supporting the developer by buying a 12 month subscription should be rewarded a little better than an 'Arianne' type [yawn].......waiting game.....[/yawn] experience.Just my 2c.

Just to update on the above issue/comment, and to ensure a fair representation; ...so I did receive an email from FS Open Clouds today advising that I was supposed to receive my licence by email, immediately after the PayPal payment, and apologizing that this had failed and for the delay. So I now have my licence and OpenClouds is amazing!I didn't want anyone to be put off, as it seems my experience was an unfortunate one-off. :(

So in the end you are not using Ideal Flights weather after all?

So in the end you are not using Ideal Flights weather after all?
Ideal Flight's weather system is pretty good .... but....it's weather engine cannot set a certain visibility level 'en masse' as it were.So I'm currently flying with Ideal Flight's weather system turned off (not a biggie as I didn't buy it for the weather aspects). Open Clouds gives me exactly what I want: real world weather at the click of one button (no other manual settings), but with a stunning improvement in representative visibility, fog and clouds. :smile:I should add that OpenClouds weather system will set visibility greater than 30nm where this exists in the real world, but it's depicted in a far superior way than FSX's default visual. So it's the default FSX depiction of visibility above 30nm that I have issue with.

So it's the default FSX depiction of visibility above 30nm that I have issue with.
Living in the mountain west area of the USA...... I'd simply go nuts with a 30nm limitation. I'm rather content the way FSX works as stock, but I realize thatit's not going to be realistic for everybody.L.Admason

Living in the mountain west area of the USA...... I'd simply go nuts with a 30nm limitation. I'm rather content the way FSX works as stock, but I realize thatit's not going to be realistic for everybody.L.Admason
I think you're right. We all take the visibility as we see it outside of our windows in our respective parts of the world, and would like to see it in FSX.Living in the North East of the UK, about 300 feet from the North Sea, FSX visibility looks nothing like what I see from the skies here lol! ..... But OpenClouds is developed here in the UK and the free demo area covers the UK, so that probably explains why, to me, the weather it's giving me is the best I've seen in FSX since it's inception.

Hey Stick,So what do you think of Open Clouds after a few days using it? Still enthousiastic? I have been using FSRealWX but I do not like it that much especially for the reasons you described: unlimited visibility above 5000 AGL and the empty patches where global weather is set with its clear skies.So what do you think?thanks,Alex