Sign in to follow this  
fs_av

FSX or Prepar3d ?

What's a better deal, FSX or the Prepar3D Academic with an eye towards the future, assuming ofcourse that one has never owned FSX ?With Prepar3D Academic making improvements whilst FSX is frozen for the forseeable future, hoping MS wakes up from the Flight fiasco, how can one pass up on Prepar3d Academic at $50 ?http://www.prepar3d.com/prepar3d-academic/

I still think FSX is, and will be the leader for quite some time. Pprepar3d is good and it is gaining support, but it has a long way to go before it can hold a candle to FSX. P3D seems to be more stable, but I just purchased the academic version yesterday so I'm no expert on that platform. But like I said, if your looking to extend the life and immersion of your sim, then FSX is still the way to go. There are a plethora of add-ons for it and it just keeps growing.

Christopher Edwards

While FSX is frozen as far as MS is concerned. Everytime you add a 3rd party DLL to it, you are expanding it's functionality, so overall it's hardly frozen. Look just in the past month, we have products like GSX, and AccuFeel. I don't see that dwindling anytime soon. As for Prepar3d, it has great potential, especially when V2.0 is released with GPU support. However people have got to get it through their heads, this product wasn't made for this community. The EULA still states, it can not be used for Home entertainment use. While it's good that they are expanding acceptable usage to "Academic " Use, The reality is for most that is not how it will be used. Academic use doesn't mean, if you are a student of some kind it a license to use it for entertainment. It's intended to be used in conjunction with said Academic regimen. Let's face it, for the majority of us that is not how it will be used.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest treeman
While FSX is frozen as far as MS is concerned. Everytime you add a 3rd party DLL to it, you are expanding it's functionality, so overall it's hardly frozen. Look just in the past month, we have products like GSX, and AccuFeel. I don't see that dwindling anytime soon. As for Prepar3d, it has great potential, especially when V2.0 is released with GPU support. However people have got to get it through their heads, this product wasn't made for this community. The EULA still states, it can not be used for Home entertainment use. While it's good that they are expanding acceptable usage to "Academic " Use, The reality is for most that is not how it will be used. Academic use doesn't mean, if you are a student of some kind it a license to use it for entertainment. It's intended to be used in conjunction with said Academic regimen. Let's face it, for the majority of us that is not how it will be used.
And yet, each time you run P3D it will never ask you what specific course you are training for. Nor will Lockheed come and take it from your hands. The FBI will not knock down your down and take your desktop.The world will continue turning and the sun will rise each morning even if the EULA does not have the three words that so many armchair lawyers are placing so much weight on.

If we're going to talk about 'what people need to get through their heads,' how about the fact that the P3D EULA is a banned topic? I don't know how much experience you have buying academic license software, but you're completely incorrect regarding permissable use. As a student of any kind, you can buy any software that offers a student license, and use it to educate yourself to your heart's content . There is no provision that you need to be enrolled in a specific program. Generally, the only restriction is that you can't make money with the academically licensed software; if I buy Photoshop as a student, and I become a professional photographer I must purchase a full license. I can use P3D to educate myself at home, but if I want to start renting out sim time or providing instruction for compensation I must purchase the professional license.Enough with the EULA talk. Lockheed has created a way to allow people to educate themselves about flight. If it's the sim program for you, go enjoy it.

Guys, mention EULA again and I'm gonna start locking topics.The OP had a fair question, so I suggest concentrating on that.OT:FSX is for sure still the better choice, due to the awesome support it currently is giving.P3D is growing. The 50$ license is cool, since it provides you an alternative to try out.If for nothing else, buy it for fun and support. It's the price of a dinner...

I would suggest starting with FSX for compatibility, but keeping a keen eye on P3D. The progress on the P3D side is excellent. For the most part, P3D will use anything from FSX, but may have problems with the installation apps of any addons meant for FSX. Developers will probably start dealing with P3d, but for now I think FSX is your choice.

Get them both! You say you've never owned FSX, well let me tell you, you are missing a lot. Don't even think for one minute that buying P3D will satisfy your flight simming urges when you know that you're not playing the most popular and most expandable flight sim package out there. Default FSX is kind of lame depending on your point of view, but it doesn't take much to turn it into a great sim with some quality add-ons and many of those high-quality add-ons are 100% free and right here at AVSIM.

Get 'em both!P3D is a bit more in early stages... Once V2 is out, more of the simming community will move over due to much more GPU usage. V2 will also incorporate DX11.--This seriously is going to look awesome. Although for now, version 1.3 is a bit more performance smooth than FSX and it continues to be updated frequently by the devs. LM devs are active in their forum and they are helpful with requests and questions.As for FSX, it still has a lot of life in it.-- There is atleast 3 more years left in it and developers continue to dig deep and make it a more realistic experience. (Accu-Feel, GSX, REX, NGX, etc)

Ive only just brought P3D today ( Still downloading it ) but a while back i took up a free one month trial ( With 1.2 ), if you decided to buy P3D dont expect more than what you see in a stock fsx and expect performance to be about the same as well this way you wont think.. what did i just spend $50 on. There is more behind the scene fixes with P3D as it stands and you may not notice them at first.The only issue with P3D i can see if the pain and time needed to get addons to work

-Paul-

What I dont get is how before this license was available almost everyone was almost begging for a cheaper P3D option and now that it is here so many people are trying to find excuses to stay with FSX...

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

I think many people want to wait for v2 of P3D and the dx11 support that comes with it. I know quite a few people have taken up free one month trials of P3D so they could see what its all about and finding that making their addons work in P3D takes time and effort. That is time and effort they want to spend flying more than making things work. In a way im the same.. i dont really want to spend to much time making things work so i plan to get my top 10 aircraft working and over time get others to work but i wont be in any rush to make that happen.Ive decided to make the move to P3D now ( well buying it ) as the new options to buy suit me better plus i have the spare time atm to make my addons work :)I will be running fsx and P3D side by side until such time i feel i dont need to use fsx anymore :)

-Paul-

Why move? USe both and tune them for different usage. One for Airliners/one for GA, or one for freeware/one for payware, or one for flying/one for scenery design, or one for ORBX scenery/one for everything else, or one for backup when FSX crashes...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

To the guys with P3DDo Bojote's tweaks work on it? Are they even needed?I am thinking about taking the plunge, but will probably wait until V2.0.

To the guys with P3DDo Bojote's tweaks work on it? Are they even needed?I am thinking about taking the plunge, but will probably wait until V2.0.
That's a good question

Chris Howard