Sign in to follow this  
Peter James

Well, I just don't like it... 2 weeks of flying it

Well, it's happened once again. I have always bought the main base version from Austin. 8, 9 and now 10. Again, same deal. After flying it for 2 full weeks, I have yet again concluded it's not for me. The visuals, while stunning at some times, especially dawn and dusk, most of the time the green world, mountains not drawing fully in the background till you get there, and the clouds.... yuck. The latest version removed the puff slider to a min of 10, when I liked 0 before for perf. reasons. I wrote Austin and he did tell me it is intentionally done that way. Why? Performance with the latest version is not great. Even on normal settings, it performs worse than the demo area. And, with an add-on 787 I bought, there are stutters almost all the time. I don't get it. The demo sucked me in. The real version performs lousy. I'll keep it, and look once again in a year at it when everyone goes cookoo over it. But, again, until then, it's back to FSX......I also still hate the sound engine, can't compare to the sounds in FSX. They're 20 years old. And the flight modeling is still too twitchy. What can I say, FSX still feels, and looks, and sounds more like the experinece from a real cockpit than X-plane. Period.

The real version and the demo version are one and the same. The only difference is the DVD unlocks the demo version.Thanks for your opinion on the looks, feels and sounds. However, I wouldn't put a "Period" on it.Just my 2 bits.

Sorry you feel that way.I had the exacte opposite experience with XP10. In fact ive un-installed FSX and all my addons, as ive lost interest with it and dealing with the blurry scenery textures. Xp10 is not perfect and there is still a long road ahead, but ive seen great progreas in the 2 months ive had it, and its moving in the right direction and Im loking forward to its future.Rob

I am also a new user and have put X-Plane on hold. I am looking forward to the IXEG 737 and other highly tweaked, plugin augmented flight models. I think XPX is a great foundation for a great flight simulation experience but the poor flight model is killing the flying experience for me. I like to fly precise and stable IFR with accurate wind and gust modelling. For me flying X-Plane involves fighting never ending oscillations in inertialess aircraft with exagerrated turbulence and gust wind effects. I find it impossible to fly within ATP tolerances and my instrument scan is also getting worse due to too much instability in the pitch axis. I was wondering if there are any demo payware aircraft i can test out before buying. I can usually tell right away if the aircraft feels right or not.

Hi Peter,Just curious : have you looked at Prepar3d and would it be better than FSX ? I assume you'd have a bunch of addons for FSX so you may tilt somewhat towards FSX but seeing that the FSX programs is frozen (atleast for now, till MS wakes up from the Flight fiasco), Prepar3d may be the way forward, while, from what I gather, maintaining atleast some semblance of compatibility with FSX.Would be interested in your opinion.

I call it VAMPIRE flight-sim , because it only looks good at night.Bob

Sorry you feel that way.I had the exacte opposite experience with XP10. In fact ive un-installed FSX and all my addons, as ive lost interest with it and dealing with the blurry scenery textures. Xp10 is not perfect and there is still a long road ahead, but ive seen great progreas in the 2 months ive had it, and its moving in the right direction and Im loking forward to its future.Rob
Same here, Rob! Really enjoying XP10.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

X-plane is a different animal to FSX better sometimes, worse others. There's no perfect solution. Trading odd-ball/half-baked scenery in XPX for random crashes in FSX. I do like the Vampire analogy, XPX at night is ridiculously good.

X-Plane doesn't render it's scenery well?--greens?---Mmm maybe you should put that DVD away for a year as you suggest during which time you could adjust your screen settings--it's pointless looking at anything through smudged glasses.Then try this (Everyone should have a go-it's suprising)http://xritephoto.co...?action=coloriqThen ensure the drivers on your video card are updated--Adjust it's settings using the maufactures software & Tweak it to fit in with your OS settings--this can take more time than people think to balance--and you should have some pretty neat rendering capabilities at your fingertips. X-Plane can turn out some stunning visuals.http://flyawaysimulation.com/images/17/x-plane/If that doesnt work take half a teaspoon of Copper Sulphate crystals & mix with half a pint of water--start up FSX--and adjust the Copper Sulphate mixture to Match whats on the screen.

FPS has improved but I still don't like the extremely flickering shadows and miss reflections alike on FSX airplanes. I even prefer water reflections in Flightgear...

Peter,thanks a LOT for posting this thread! Actually I just posted something in the same lines hereNow, when two weeks ago started reading your threads I thought there was really something wrong with me going on. To be honest you're one of the persons I respect the most in this area, for all the great project FU3 was (even if it's legs were cut...), still providing me great simulation moments. OTOH, you became a professional pilot, so, besides having had the guts to turn your dream into reality, you really know what you're talking about :-) and, while I'm a pilot since 1980, I only fly gliders, so, my RL knowledge is limited more or less to that area....But, back to what I was saying, I became worried when I saw you "liking" xplane10. Not that I don't find it appealing, but... just like you, it allways ends up uninstalled a couple of weeks later.For v9 I never bought the full version, but I di buy almost all of Jason Chandler great add-ons (Goran was unknown to me in 2006, but I would certainly add his planes to my collection too!!!). There are great add-ons, that's true, but the very basic problem with xplane is in the base! It simply doesn't feel right, never did, and I couldn't care less about cars on roads when there are so many bugs before going to those details to be solved....I'm released!!! Believe me!!!!Make FU4 when if you ever win the lotery please!!!!!!

Well, it's happened once again. I have always bought the main base version from Austin. 8, 9 and now 10. Again, same deal. After flying it for 2 full weeks, I have yet again concluded it's not for me. The visuals, while stunning at some times, especially dawn and dusk, most of the time the green world, mountains not drawing fully in the background till you get there, and the clouds.... yuck. The latest version removed the puff slider to a min of 10, when I liked 0 before for perf. reasons. I wrote Austin and he did tell me it is intentionally done that way. Why? Performance with the latest version is not great. Even on normal settings, it performs worse than the demo area. And, with an add-on 787 I bought, there are stutters almost all the time. I don't get it. The demo sucked me in. The real version performs lousy. I'll keep it, and look once again in a year at it when everyone goes cookoo over it. But, again, until then, it's back to FSX......I also still hate the sound engine, can't compare to the sounds in FSX. They're 20 years old. And the flight modeling is still too twitchy. What can I say, FSX still feels, and looks, and sounds more like the experinece from a real cockpit than X-plane. Period.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Yes the Shadows & HDR are a great idea but still in the 'Candy to Fix' stage. I never use HDR & never set Shadow detail over '3D on Airplane'--Basically I use X-Plane to fly and enjoy taking a few screenshots whilst I'm doing so--If the scenery and super shadows were that important I'd take a cheap flight to Europe on a sunny day and look out of the window.I find flying X-Plane extreemly obsorbing--yet very relaxing.

Guest Antlab

Probably much depends on the hardware and the possibility to find a good combination with controls.With my system, an I2500K and GTX 560, XP-10 runs quite well after playing with the settings and understanding the effects of the various parameters. Actually one of the things I appreciate most is the fluidity, much better than FSX in my case.An important things about the controls, for me, has been changing (reducing) the linearity. At first, with my Logitch Wingman Force 3D, also the default Cessna was very unstable and too reactive also to small movements. But after reducing the linearity settings in XP it is very different, now the controls seem quite precise.A.

I just love the shadows.
Very nice images.Could I ask which settings do you use for the shadows. I have XP-10 and the visuals are nice, but I stiil have to find a good settings for shadows. I don't know if there are still some bugs, but sometimes I obtain weird effects.A.