Okay...I have only just got FSX set up with a lightning fast I5 2500K overclocked to 4.4ghz but the graphics card which is a Sapphire dual-fan DiRT3 edition HD6950 gives me really bad antialiasing (jaggies, stairsteps, etc) but my frames are rocketing up really high, even with ORBX scenery and Carenado aircraft! When I try changing the antialiasing in the Catalyst Control Center, and then click "fly now" in FSX the screen goes black instead of coming up with the loading bar. Any solutions as I really want to get it up and running instead of flying on my old scenery development PC.Frank

On my 6970, I unchecked AA in game but set CCC to Override AA. You may want to post some pics of your CCC settings for better help.

Okay, here are the shots. I tried what you said and it worked perfectly!

Catalyst AA:

180CatalystAA.jpg

Catalyst AA mode:

738Untitled.jpg

Catalyst Anisotropic filtering:613Untitled2.jpg

Thanks!

Standard view CCC is not an ideal way of tuning game specific settings. Like most "beginner" interfaces it actually makes the process more complicated than it really needs to be. (in my humble opinion). What we're going to do is setup a FSX specific profile.

Make sure before doing this you have the latest Catalyst drivers installed.

Click preferences, and then advanced view. Now click gaming, and then 3D Application settings.

You should see something like this. Once here click defaults, then apply. (I will explain all this in a wrap up at the end)

7120568731_3b8424cf8a_b.jpg

Now set it up like this and don't click apply, save or anything else until I instruct you.

Anti-Aliasing: - Override / 4X / Standard

Anisotropic Filter: Check "Use application settings"

Tessellation: AMD Optimized Checked (this actually doesn't matter at all but I'm going through every setting)

Catalyst A.I. : High Quality w/ Enable Surface Format Optimization Checked

Wait For vertical refresh: Off, unless application specifies

Anti-Aliasing Mode: Super-Sampling AA

Open GL Settings: Uncheck Triple Buffering

Now go back to the top of the settings.. Make sure the drop down box says "<<New Application>>" and then click "Save". A dialog will open. Browse to your FSX directory and choose FSX.EXE. You should get a message "An AMD pre-defined application profile already exists for the selected application. Do you want to override the pre-defined profile"..

Click Yes

Another dialog will open that says "The application profile has been updated with the current 3D settings".. Just click ok.

You're done. Make sure in FSX settings you un-tick Anti-Aliasing and choose Anisotropic Filtering. What this is doing is only using the graphics settings you choose for FSX only. When I had you click defaults than apply I was just clearing out any changes you already made. The way you were doing it before was a global setting which would have attempted to use those graphics settings for any 3D application you ran that didn't have a pre-defined profile that AMD builds into its Catalyst Suite profile caps.

Now if you want to tweak your FSX graphics settings all you will do is go back to that settings screen, adjust the AA method, or amount, click the drop down box, choose FSX.EXE and then Save.. I started you out with a moderately high setting. Not sure what the 6950 is capable of. If you find it's giving you stuttering, drop down to 2X AA / Super Sampling. The only setting I change globally is texture quality which I set as High Quality. By default it's just "Quality" everything else I leave as default. Otherwise stay away from the "Apply" button..

AMD has a pre-defined profile for FSX that basically sets everything to application controlled and you just setup it up to say "No you don't, I'll tell you what you're using".

Any questions just ask and I'll reply as soon as I am able to.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Standard view CCC is not an ideal way of tuning game specific settings. Like most "beginner" interfaces it actually makes the process more complicated than it really needs to be. (in my humble opinion). What we're going to do is setup a FSX specific profile.

Click preferences, and then advanced view. Now click gaming, and then 3D Application settings.

You should see something like this. Once here click defaults, then apply. (I will explain all this in a wrap up at the end)

Now set it up like this and don't click apply, save or anything else until I instruct you.

Anti-Aliasing: - Override / 4X / Standard

Anisotropic Filter: Check "Use application settings"

Tessellation: AMD Optimized Checked (this actually doesn't matter at all but I'm going through every setting)

Catalyst A.I. : High Quality w/ Enable Surface Format Optimization Checked

Wait For vertical refresh: Off, unless application specifies

Anti-Aliasing Mode: Super-Sampling AA

Open GL Settings: Uncheck Triple Buffering

Now go back to the top of the settings.. Make sure the drop down box says "<<New Application>>" and then click "Save". A dialog will open. Browse to your FSX directory and choose FSX.EXE. You should get a message "An AMD pre-defined application profile already exists for the selected application. Do you want to override the pre-defined profile"..

Click Yes

Another dialog will open that says "The application profile has been updated with the current 3D settings".. Just click ok.

You're done. Make sure in FSX settings you un-tick Anti-Aliasing and choose Anisotropic Filtering. What this is doing is only using the graphics settings you choose for FSX only. When I had you click defaults than apply I was just clearing out any changes you already made. The way you were doing it before was a global setting which would have attempted to use those graphics settings for any 3D application you ran that didn't have a pre-defined profile that AMD builds into its Catalyst Suite profile caps.

Now if you want to tweak your FSX graphics settings all you will do is go back to that settings screen, adjust the AA method, or amount, click the drop down box, choose FSX.EXE and then Save.. I started you out with a moderately high setting. Not sure what the 6950 is capable of. If you find it's giving you stuttering, drop down to 2X AA / Super Sampling. The only setting I change globally is texture quality which I set as High Quality. By default it's just "Quality" everything else I leave as default. Otherwise stay away from the "Apply" button..

AMD has a pre-defined profile for FSX that basically sets everything to application controlled and you just setup it up to say "No you don't, I'll tell you what you're using".

Any questions just ask and I'll reply as soon as I am able to.

You are my hero. I've been involved with FSX since the 95 version and finally had to give it up because my system was just to out dated. Last year I built my own system; i7 2600k, 2 x Sapphire Radeon HD6950's, SSD Drives, the whole sha-bang. I bought the FSX Accelerated version and messed around and just couldn't get my fsx.cfg right, or when I did, then I couldn't get CCC dialed in to compliment the fsx.cfg settings. This guide you posted finally got me over the hump. You have no idea how many wasted hours I've had trying to make this thing flyable. I get get speed, but suffer twinkling. I'd get that dialed in a bit then I'd have stutters. It was a never ending battle. Thank you so, so much. If I could buy ya a beer I'd buy ya 12. I can finally quit fiddling and adjusting and just fly. Thanks again.

I think I'm having the same problem but can not find this option in the catalyst, the mine is 12.10. See the images attached to the outline of objects in the image are bad 1 being the sapphire 6950 and VGA in image 2 are good MSI's VGA 6870. How to solve the 6950 VGA? From already thank you.

clipboardkg.jpg

• Mr. Styckx note 10, paid more attention in your solution and solved everything, I do not know how to thank you.

Hugs ...

Hi, I know this is an older post, but is this solution running DX9 or DX10 Preview? 2 6870's here and want to get rid of the jaggies.

7120568731_3b8424cf8a_b.jpg

Could you repost this picture? I have an AMD 7870 that will need tweaking as well.

Thank you for your time.

I don't have a pic to share, but here are the settings I use on my 6950. Perhaps you can get away with a bit higher settings on a 7870, I don't know. This is used in DX9, I get poor performance in DX10 regardless of my settings.

(I'm listing them in the order they appear on the Gaming > 3D Application Settings, using 13.2 beta 5 drivers)

Anti-Aliasing Mode: Override application settings

Anti-Aliasing Samples: 4x

Filter: Standard

Anti-Aliasing Method: Supersampling (I'll use Multisampling if I really need to, but I use SS probably about 95% of the time for FSX and 100% of the time for FS9)

Morphological Filtering: Off

Anistropic Filtering Mode: Override application settings

Anistropic Filtering Level: 2x (High levels makes things fuzzy, 4x doesn't really make a difference in looks, so I leave this at 2x)

Texture Filtering Quality: Standard

Surface Format Optimization: Off

Wait for Vertical Refresh: Off, unless application specifies

Open GL Triple Buffering: Off

Tessellation Mode: AMD Optimized (I leave it at this setting all of the time, FSX doesn't use it, but turning it off makes no difference)

Maximum Tessellation Level: AMD Optimized

In FSX settings, I turn Anti-Aliasing off. I get decent performance from FSX with the above. These settings were arrived at through reading what worked for others, and then testing the crap out of all of the possible settings. One thing though - my experience proved that with my 6950, I absolutely required the Shader 3.0 mod in order to be able to fly with clouds and not have my sim turn into a slide show. This was just my experience though, your mileage might vary.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I don't have a pic to share, but here are the settings I use on my 6950. Perhaps you can get away with a bit higher settings on a 7870, I don't know. This is used in DX9, I get poor performance in DX10 regardless of my settings.

(I'm listing them in the order they appear on the Gaming > 3D Application Settings, using 13.2 beta 5 drivers)

Anti-Aliasing Mode: Override application settings

Anti-Aliasing Samples: 4x

Filter: Standard

Anti-Aliasing Method: Supersampling (I'll use Multisampling if I really need to, but I use SS probably about 95% of the time for FSX and 100% of the time for FS9)

Morphological Filtering: Off

Anistropic Filtering Mode: Override application settings

Anistropic Filtering Level: 2x (High levels makes things fuzzy, 4x doesn't really make a difference in looks, so I leave this at 2x)

Texture Filtering Quality: Standard

Surface Format Optimization: Off

Wait for Vertical Refresh: Off, unless application specifies

Open GL Triple Buffering: Off

Tessellation Mode: AMD Optimized (I leave it at this setting all of the time, FSX doesn't use it, but turning it off makes no difference)

Maximum Tessellation Level: AMD Optimized

In FSX settings, I turn Anti-Aliasing off. I get decent performance from FSX with the above. These settings were arrived at through reading what worked for others, and then testing the crap out of all of the possible settings. One thing though - my experience proved that with my 6950, I absolutely required the Shader 3.0 mod in order to be able to fly with clouds and not have my sim turn into a slide show. This was just my experience though, your mileage might vary.

Thank you. This definately helped but my biggest problem is my entire screen is now blurry. I tried adjusting the screen resolution but this did nothing. The menu's are fine, but everything in the flight portion (gaming) is blurry. Texts, airplane etc

Blurry was the wrong word..."out of focus" is a better choice

I had the same problem. Recheck your settings in both FSX and Catalyst. I had my FSX set to Antialiasing ON. Unticked. Saved setting. Exited and restarted and is fine now.