Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

A very interesting FSX-FPS discovery.....

Do you perhaps have one of the max autogen settings in your FSX.cfg?

ie

Terrain_Max_Autogen_Trees_per_Cell

or

Terrain_Max_Autogen_Buildings_per_Cell

www.antsairplanes.com

Mitch, no. I think this is something else. Definitely not what you describe.

Tested myself:

Set Scenery+AG to fully right. Loaded FSXMark11, ran for 1 minute with FRAPS. AVG 34FPS.

Did not quit FSX. Just ended flight. Set sliders to one notch down. AVG 36FPS.

Same procedure, one notch down. AVG 38FPS.

I am DEFINITELY getting better FPS on lower settings.

Maybe it's different when you don't quit the flight, but seriously, what's the point of that?

Agreed!

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Mitch,

I get higher fps with lower AG. It doesn't matter where I lower the settings. Lower setting always = higher fps.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Mitch,

I get higher fps with lower AG. It doesn't matter where I lower the settings. Lower setting always = higher fps.

------------------------------------------------------

I read all of the reply posts with interest. Well, all I can say...is that on my system, full out to the right, is the best usage of hardware. As others reminded, '...your mileage can and will vary' I guess.... No matter, worth the posting of. Everybody will adjust their system to what matters to them...higher FPS, but lower visuals, or the opposite.

Do you perhaps have one of the max autogen settings in your FSX.cfg?

ie

Terrain_Max_Autogen_Trees_per_Cell

or

Terrain_Max_Autogen_Buildings_per_Cell

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I do. I run with the following before the sliders come into play....

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000

This is a setting that most of us from hanging around here nearly 10 or more so years, have always had in our configs..... This was a performance enhancer from a week or so after FSX's RTM.

It is never, ever a smart thing to do to run all your settings on max in FSX. Regardless of the rig. It is just pointless and counter-productive to a good experience in the sim. Take Water settings etc, there is virtually no visual difference in the top two settings, but a huge performance difference.

If it's really important to you to tell everyone that you "are one of those people who has all their sliders to the right", then go on doing it, but you are getting far from the best experience in FSX from doing so; again, regardless how powerful your rig may be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, your personal reflection and opinion is so pivotal, that one can dismiss another's.... Really? Yes, take water settings for instance...I find that there is a difference in quality from the second from the top, to the top itself. If there was no visual consequence between the two, then the second from the top...would be in fact the highest visual setting for water depiction within FSX. 'If it's really important to you to tell everyone that you......'. The above self-enabling comment.....how pompous.

Take Water settings etc, there is virtually no visual difference in the top two settings

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shhhhhhhhh.....a secret...the difference between the High 2 and MAX setting in the water masks....is that if you use the highest setting that water allows, you will see wave action upon the water, and not just a light shimmer that one less step in the setting gives you. That STICK....is the difference. For some...who want ultimate realism, it is a huge one, and not 'virtually no visual difference', as you see it. Thank you....but I'll stick with seeing waves atop the oceans, lakes,and rivers. For others....they'll pick what they consider adequate. :)

I also have an i7 2600 with an Nvidia560ti and see the same thing in that I do not see better frame rates if the sliders are set in the middle. I also get the best frame rates and every thing is smoother if the sliders are at max. I will note that if I remove aircraft casts shadows on the ground the FPS do go up a couple. And Sesquashtoo is right about the water. If set at High 2 or max you DO see wave action.

now what about my case? for me, it doesnt matter what resolution and what graphic settings, the fps always stay the same :P (800x600 at lowest or 1920x1080 at highest)

.the difference between the High 2 and MAX setting in the water masks.

No, the difference between the High and Max is in the reflections. That was even stated by Microsoft directly. It's all the same shader and all, just the reflections change. High vs Max brings scenery reflections, bridges, trees, mountains etc.

No, the difference between the High and Max is in the reflections. That was even stated by Microsoft directly. It's all the same shader and all, just the reflections change. High vs Max brings scenery reflections, bridges, trees, mountains etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Not Allowed, I also have scenery reflections more like undefined image shade (but not pronounced) with the second highest, but no easily seen weave crests, full reflections and water movement. With Max...all the effects that make you believe you are looking at real-world H20, is there. As also stated by myself and few others within this thread, I note that I am getting my best performance from 'full right' than anything set lower than max. We have seen though, that this is not the case for all boxes. But as reported by other within this thread, it is a real phenomenon if you are lucky enough to see it happening.

Time for a deep breath? I thank you Sesquachtoo for bring this "interesting" discovery to our attention. It was certainly worth testing out on my machine as I had never done that before.

Obviously to me then there are differences in computer specs and preformance. As noted I can not replicate your fortunately discovery and will have to settle with lower settings to get the necessary higher fps needed to give me a smooth flight.

Near CAM3

Time for a deep breath? I thank you Sesquachtoo for bring this "interesting" discovery to our attention. It was certainly worth testing out on my machine as I had never done that before.

Obviously to me then there are differences in computer specs and preformance. As noted I can not replicate your fortunately discovery and will have to settle with lower settings to get the necessary higher fps needed to give me a smooth flight.

--------------------------------------------------

Try this... Put the following under the [TERRAIN] section:

Then fire up FSX and put EVERYTHING that has to do with graphics/scenery at full right slider except Mesh at 5M Keep that at 5M for Orbx. Fly for a few sessions with the above, and then see where you are in the FPS/performance department. The above TERRAIN tweak came out about a week after FSX initial launch. It really (by comments of the day) made a difference to everyone that tried it....and then when running Orbx scenery. I have had this since 'day one'...and have never not had it in my .cfg.

I hope this adds to the mix....

Yes, I have that terrain adjustment already, plus pretty much every tweak in the book, much thanks. My fsx.cfg looks like a beat up fighter just leaving the ring after a knock out. It doesn't look anything like the same fighter that entered the ring when the fight started.

Near CAM3

------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I do. I run with the following before the sliders come into play....

This is a setting that most of us from hanging around here nearly 10 or more so years, have always had in our configs..... This was a performance enhancer from a week or so after FSX's RTM.

I wouldn't call it a performance enhancer, it's more of a limiter which may limit the amount of autogen being drawn on screen (the reduction in stuff being drawn would lead to better framerates).

For what it's worth I tried a few settings with the autogen slider and with and without these tweaks. At max autogen with the settings above I got the same FPS as without the tweak. Reducing the numbers to 1500 and 1000 though gave about 15% better frame rates at max autogen. In either case, for me, reducing the autogen slider always gave better framerates.

As always, with any tweak, it's best to check it out on your own system because as we all know Your Mileage May Vary.

The following text is from the Microsoft website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555739:

Open the FSX.CFG File (see more information re location).

Add this entry, just below the [TERRAIN] section in FSX.CFG

The figures above are the default and you should set them to a lower amount. Setting to 0 for instance will mean that you see no objects in the simulation. Please note that the maximum setting for each item is 6000 and it is suggested that you use a minimum of 10 to avoid issues within the game.

The suggested settings to set initially are:

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1000

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=800

www.antsairplanes.com

I dont have near the powerful machines that you gents have, nor do I have all the knowledge with the cfg,, but I use Xtremem FSX PC, and have noticed similar results as the OP. When I turn down all my settings, I get poor graphics and poor fps, when I crank them up, I have great visulas and can get enough fps to enjoy fluid flight, my results are from restarting FSX not while program is running.