Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Best FSX helicopter addon?

I think I want to do something different for my next purchase instead of the usual big jets and GA fixed wing that I normally fly. What is the best helicopter addon currently? I'm thinking it's gonna be between the Dodosim Bell 206 and one of the Nemeth Designs products, but I'd like the community's opinion first.

Thanks!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

My opinion choose the dodo if you want realistic flight dynamics and cera for looks, sound and ok fde.

Dodosim b206 is top of the line followed by the cerasim line of helos.. nemeth does an alright job but can take quite some to get patches out.. aerosoft makes great aircraft but the huey fell flat on its face when some users were forced to change the fde to Microsoft-esque jetranger default fde handling due to a conflict with some users controllers. Aerosofts sh60 was done well but again has unresolved display issues with a workaround of pressing the a key until the flight display loses the red line running from top to bottom.

I think I want to do something different for my next purchase instead of the usual big jets and GA fixed wing that I normally fly. What is the best helicopter addon currently? I'm thinking it's gonna be between the Dodosim Bell 206 and one of the Nemeth Designs products, but I'd like the community's opinion first.

Thanks!

The Dodosim for realism and challenge. It's by far the only helicopter that has ever kept my interest in FSX.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

There is only one choice if you want super-duper realism - the DodoSim Bell 206 JetRanger. But, if you are just after something that is pretty realistic in most respects with some good system modeling, then Cera and Nemeth's offerings are mostly worth a look. Ones which are perhaps less realistic from a systems and flight model standpoint, but still kind of fun, would be Area 51 and Virtavia. More detailed info on FS choppers can be found on the hovercontrol website.

Aerosoft's Huey is pretty good too, but some of the 3D modeling leaves a bit to be desired.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

There is only one choice if you want super-duper realism - the DodoSim Bell 206 JetRanger.

I've always been interested in trying a realistic handling "egg whisk" in FSX. However I'm not sure what would be the best controllers to go with a helicopter addon? I don't think my Saitek Pro Yoke or MS FF joystick would be suitable.

Can anyone recommend suitable controllers for helicopter flying in FSX?

Thanks

Adam

Dodosim Bell 206 FSX withouth doubts... its aun impressive addon! I love it and its flight dinamics

Enviado desde mi Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk 2

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

If we are talking about flight model realism and accuracy of simulation helicopter's specific behaviour then the best is Dodosim 206, next is Huey X (I have both) and next is big gap ... and the rest. To improve flight dynamics of some of these others machines you may use Helicopter Total Realism (HTR) addon written by Fred Naar.

Remember - you need pedals for controlling antitorque.

Can anyone recommend suitable controllers for helicopter flying in FSX?

Thanks

Adam

Believe it or not, 'playstation type' controllers of the kind with two little 'thumb joysticks' are great for choppers in FSX. You put the tail rotor (rudder axis) on the left thumbstick, and the cyclic (ailerons and elevator) on the right thumbstick, then where your two forefingers fall on the front buttons on the controller, set the right side button to increase throttle/collective pitch (with button repeats on high) and make the left one decrease throttle (with button repeats on high). Then, get the Nemeth MD500 Defender chopper to practice on, since it has a big glass canopy (and good FPS in FSX) and this makes ground visibility good for when learning, which will help you stay ahead on the control inputs. Zoom back a bit in the VC to give yourself a wide field of vision.

I can guarantee you will be able to fly that chopper - with that PS-type controller set up - with precision, anywhere you like, and land it on a sixpence after about 20 minutes of practice. Be sure to centralise any other sticks you have connected up to ensure you don't get spurious command inputs clashing with the PS-type controller.

Just remember - right tail rotor pedal down with any throttle setting increases, to counteract main rotor torque, and pedal up with any throttle setting reductions, as the main rotor torque reduces.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

One of the things that improved my chopper flying the most, aside from rudder pedals, has been a head tracking device (in my case Freetrack). Especially on the landings, you can turn your head around and get a feeling of the movement of the helo.

Believe it or not, 'playstation type' controllers of the kind with two little 'thumb joysticks' are great for choppers in FSX. (...)

Then, get the Nemeth MD500 Defender chopper to practice on. (...)

I can guarantee you will be able to fly that chopper - with that PS-type controller set up - with precision, anywhere you like, and land it on a sixpence after about 20 minutes of practice.

You must be very good heli pilot and have long training with using such kind of game controllers. By the way, get more realistic flight model than default by using HTR profile for Nemeth MD500 and try to perform some precision maneuvers at low speed with changing altitude in the same time. It is hard to imagine for me that it may be easy to do that with "game pad".

One of the things that improved my chopper flying the most, aside from rudder pedals, has been a head tracking device (in my case Freetrack). Especially on the landings, you can turn your head around and get a feeling of the movement of the helo.

Absolutely. For hovering, TrackIR and rudder pedals really give the feel of flying a helicopter. The Dodosim is the closest I've felt to flying a real heli (only ever logged several hours real world hover training).

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

aerosoft makes great aircraft but the huey fell flat on its face when some users were forced to change the fde to Microsoft-esque jetranger default fde handling due to a conflict with some users controllers.

Even if you have controller problems with the Huey-X you do not have to use the default 260 fde.

You can use HTR and have even better flight dynamics than the original from Aerosoft:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/52741-huey-x-and-htr-helicopter-total-realism/

You must be very good heli pilot and have long training with using such kind of game controllers.

I used an Xbox 360 Controller for years for "everything" in FSX and felt fairly happy with it...

What is the best helicopter addon currently?

I do not have the Dodosim 206 as I liked the FSX 206 enough. As in this thread, I have never seen anything but highly positive statements about the Dodosim 206.

I do have the Nemeth EC-135 / MD-902 / MD-500 / AW-109

And have all three Cera Sim helos: 212 / 412 / 222

I enjoy all the above... and run HTR (if a cfg available). The EC-135 is sweet... some excellent liveries available for that one (Strathclyde Police, Essex Air Ambulance).

Probably my favorite is a toss-up between the Cera 212 & 412. Panel reminds me of the JS41. I am partial to the 212 because of the soundset (particularly the external main rotor) and I found a UH-1N USMC livery for it @ http://aussiex.org/f.../4-helicopters/

-Rob