Sign in to follow this  
Pascal

OUTERRA will be our new flightsim platform in the future, because...

...the first fsx modelled aircraft was sucessfully transformed or transported into this new simulation world.

http://forum.sibwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1050

http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=927.0

I guess if PMDG will also forwarding thier thoughts into a new simulation platform then they should also take care of OUTERRA.

The details are so incredible that I think that this platform will be also the basis for other further simulations (....from space to the ants-simulator...;-))

Cheers

Pascal

Guest rookba

No, it does not. Which, together with the world about to end in 2012, must mean that all hope is lost :Party:

It looks amazing.

If enough developers jump on board to help out, and enough simmers decide the benifits of using this program will offset the $500+ they've invested in FSX, then I can see this sim taking its place in our community. It's definitely promising, though I wouldn't be too quick to suggest it can challenge the FS Market just yet.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

This is only promising if the sim has all airports in the world just like FSX, plus realistic scenery, mesh, and cities. It's also needs realistic weather simulation including ATC and of course AI aircraft.

If it doesn't have these things, then it will be another useless sim like FLIGHT and Aerofly.

You won't need real weather with this!, and if you did, maybe REX could take care of it.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

From what I also recall, Orbx had also looked at the platform and commented that the method in which it creates ground scenery is not capable of allowing Orbx to work with it, so they did not proceed any further with the platform and shelved the idea. I believe the thread about this serious limitation is in the Orbx forums.

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

preview_prepar3dbarcode0.jpg?rev=0

No, it does not. Which, together with the world about to end in 2012, must mean that all hope is lost :Party:

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

From what I also recall, Orbx had also looked at the platform and commented that the method in which it creates ground scenery is not capable of allowing Orbx to work with it, so they did not proceed any further with the platform and shelved the idea. I believe the thread about this serious limitation is in the Orbx forums.

Remember it is in alpha still, they may change things to allow them to work with it

Does the sim have 25000 airports world wide, AI aircraft, ATC, real world weather, etc?

Well, FLIGHT doesnt have all of that and MS selling it as simulation...

Why are topics posting twice these days?

because

If I understand correctly Outerra draws everything that's placed on the base level terrain mesh using what's known as "procedural" rendering. This is the same way that games like the Diablo series generate randomized levels/dungeons that are different each time you play them. It has a set of rules it uses, but nothing is ever 100% the same. This technique is able to produce data that looks realistic in a generalized sense and takes up very little space in terms of file size but for making exact terrain features that match the real world like what Orbx does it's definitely a problem...

I tried the Outerra preview and wasn't all that impressed honestly - it ran quite badly and I thought the color palette and lighting looked pretty washed out no matter how I set it in the options.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

@Highiron

This is because ORBX are a standalone scenery product which means it is independant of all other scenery products and that other products are not compatible with it. It's a way companies can capitalise on products (and services) so that it is their product or nothing.

Outerra uses procedural generation but is compatible to vector data for way more biomes than FSX or Prepar3d can handle (as it is developed from the ground up).

Outerra also utilises SRTM data as with FSX and Prepar3d but has fractal refinement to improve the land surface and rocks etc...

REMEMBER Outerra is in Aplha stage and if it wasn't for the kind hearted developers who decided an early release for users to test the product then it would not have seen the light of day probably at least until Beta stage. it is also a planet rendering engine not a simulator at this point.

@Ryan

You were not impressed too much because it does not show it's full light in that no shorelines, rivers, roads, cities etc... are available yet, nor is timeflow. Also Cameni and Angrypig (the developers) are working on these items or at least have them on the todo list. The field of view is much superior to any flight simulator we have seen not to mention that this engine has potential to be the core of the next flight simulator to feature the many elements of nature. I will also add that vector data is usable with OT and will allow for urban areas, roads, rivers, etc... to be planted as they are in real life.

At the moment the Devs are working on the Anteworld game which will use the programing techniques to show it off. This is their main focus and so we will problably not see all the features for a flight simulator until at least after this is done.

It is just the begining for Outerra, sit back and watch the progress. Exciing times.

If I understand correctly Outerra draws everything that's placed on the base level terrain mesh using what's known as "procedural" rendering. This is the same way that games like the Diablo series generate randomized levels/dungeons that are different each time you play them. It has a set of rules it uses, but nothing is ever 100% the same.

Actually it is slighly more advanced than "diablo" was when it comes to procedural generation. Yes, the area between the 90m points is generated randomly but it is not consistantly different. A divit or lump in the grass will be there every single time you go to that generated area 100% of the time. UNLESS you modify the terrain with the road editor or drive a car over it(soon) or create a runway over it. Then an additinal terrain file is saved with the changes and loaded. Should at some point you remove those features the ground will return back to its original state.

Does the sim have 25000 airports world wide, AI aircraft, ATC, real world weather, etc?

25,000 airports, No not unless you and the community are willing to make them. I wouldn't hold your breath for any of the "big" companies to buy in and add them for you either. All the tools required will be given to you and new tools are being added as they are suggested.

AI aircraft.. No ai of any sort YET but it has been discussed for other aspects as well, Animals, Ground Vehicles, AI workers

ATC.. Well I imagine this would need to be arranged as an addon by a flight sim community. OT in any form will be not just mod friendly but mod dependent.

Real world Weather.. Not Yet! but then again there are no clouds yet and nobody seems to notice.

etc.. yes. Has pleanty.

Oh, hello Zeos... reminds me, I must take a look at outerra forums, I have brought some points there.

The key here is to think of Outerra as an engine for flightsim - that would allow for all those things to be insterted. So far, not even roads are there, but if all goes well, everything that was mentioned CAN be there eventually. And once it is there, and most only then, can we seriously talk about it as a flight simulator, not just a platform.

The good news is, devs are open for Outerra to go this way (among other ways it can, at probably will, go). The bad news is, the core team is VERY small, and not specifically simming-aimed, so either the grunt of the works will have to be done by add-on developers, or a separate company...