Sign in to follow this  
JiBrady

Is it possible to add night liting to photoreal scenery

Is it possible to add night lighting (roads, buildings etc.) to photoreal scenery? I use Simsavvy photo real.

Thanks,

Jim

Guest firehawk44

My MegaScenery has night lighting so it must be possible. Not sure about Simsavvy. You might check the Photoscenery forum here on AVSIM that was basically set up for SimSavvy.

Best regards,

Jim

As a developer, you can add night lighting to any photoreal scenery. As an end user, it's not possible. All it takes is having access to the aerial photos, a photo editing program, and the FSX SDK for resampling. Having said that, it's a bit of a painstaking process to learn in the first place.

Or just disable the photoreal for night flights, since you cant see anything anyway :-)

Jay

As Bill wrote, you need the source image. But I have had reasonable (I guess to me anyway) results by darkening the image in GIMP and then using a layer where I have a couple patterns of night lighting, and I drop the pattern over built-up areas of the base image. When happy I flatten it and add it as the night texture. Having UTX does help, as it places street light objects that are independent of the terrain image.

scott s.

One good thing about FSX is that the night texture is simply blended with the day texture, so your night texture doesn't require the same source image, although it does require some source image. You could have a high resolution aerial scenery with a low resolution night map, and you'll see the detail of the high resolution blended with the night lighting.

My last release 'Real NZ Nelson' includes a 550 megabyte aerial BGL for the city, and a separate 350 kilobyte file for the night map.

The night map is based on a highly processed (but possible in any imaging software) GeoTIFF topo map.