Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Yaw on Takeoff Roll

The main problem I have with this plane is that during takeoff roll, at about 50 KIAS, the plane pulls sharply to the right and rudder control is very touchy. Hard to keep it on the runway. Once airborne all is ok - rudder control is normal.

This is the only plane in my fleet that does this. Anyone else experiencing this?

I use CH Pro Pedals and CH Flightsim Yoke. All calibrated thru FSUIPC. The FS Realism sliders position don't seem to make a difference.

Jim

Are you running Accu-Feel? I have this same issue when I have Accu-Feel enabled. Once I turn it off I no longer have this problem. Already submitted a post to A2A and I am awaiting a reply! :)

Jonathan, Thanks for the advice. I tried that as you recommended but it didn't help any. Still have the same problem. Really is strange.

Jim

This is another problem I'm having as well. Will try turning off Accufeel tonight and see if that makes any difference.

King Air takeoffs are best accomplished from a standing start. While holding the brakes, "stand up" the power levers to the point where the prop RPM is at the red line (2200 RPM). At this point, the props are "on the governors" and you're less likely to induce a yaw moment when you release the brakes.

Next, release the brakes and move the power levers forward EVENLY to max torque, 1315 ft/lbs. If you don't do this EVENLY, you'll generate some yaw in the direction of the engine producing less torque. Compensate with the rudder and adjust the power lever to even up the torques.

Bear in mind that the King Air does not have counter-rotating props, so you can expect a fair amount of yaw as a result of the gyroscopic effect. Also, as you accelerate, N1 and torque will both rise, and there is nothing preventing you from over-torquing the engines, so set power carefully.

Yes, it takes practice.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

This is good to know i also am having these issues i will turn off accufeel as well and c how it goes

My take-off roll felt and looked like my C90 was on skating rink, but since I turned off Accufeel to try and cure the "jittering scenery out the cockpit window problem", it's also fixed my take of roll problem. Two issues solved by turning off the Accufeel.

Love Airplanes and American Muscle Cars

Yep, I had the same experience last night. It's probably just a matter of tweaking the Accufeel settings for the C90. For now I've got it switched off for the KingAir, but I'll monkey around with settings tonight and get 'em dialed in. It turns out this is a very docile plane to taxi and take off, provided you do things right. I'm liking it more the longer I fly it.

the plane pulls sharply to the right and rudder control is very touchy. Hard to keep it on the runway. Once airborne all is ok - rudder control is normal.

I use CH Pro Pedals

Jim

May be C90 related, but thought I'd post here that I had perpetual problems with the right toe break on my CH Pro Pedals causing the same control problem. Of course my problem abated as soon as airborne as no ground contact then. That brake refused to go off unless I literally dug my heel down hard with reverse force on that side, which made ground steering even more difficult. This is a common and well documented problem with the CH Pro Pedals. Calibrating did not help until I read a tip somewhere to put a couple of magazines under the heels to raise them slightly when calibrating the center position of the brake axis. Even then I had occasional trouble on takeoff roll, landing, and taxi. My problem was obvious as it was accompanied by the brakes context indicator in the lower left corner of the FSX screen. I recently transitioned to the Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke and Pedals. No more problem.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

When I calbrate my pedals, I have to put a thin piece of wood under the right pedal. So I know where you are coming from. My brake indicator doesn't come on however when I am experiencing the yaw problem. I may look at my calibration again, however, because it acts like the right brake is actuating on takeoff roll.

Thanks for the info.

Jim

Hey all -

I just want to add that I am also having this issue and have dissabled Accu-Feel for this bird. 50 knots right on the numbers and zing-zang sketchola-to the-max you go down the runway. No amount of rudder to correct that.

Has there been any more disucssion from A2A on the matter? I haven't been over to check their forum.

Benjamin

Benjamin Van Eps

If you are using rudder pedals try disconnecting them altogether and try a takeoff without them and see if the same issue develops. Not in anyway saying fly forever without RP's, just saying see what happens for diagnostics purposes.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I have the same problem with Accu-Fell and I was wondering: maybe only one of the parameter is responsible of the yaw behaviour. If this make sense, does anyone know which one it would be ?

Souheil Al-Mallah

I use Accu Feel on the C90... I have not experienced any yaw issue on take off... I will add that I follow Kurt's advice on how to take off in the C90...

I am sure Kurt will correct me on this, but as I understand it he has time on King Airs (B200?) and I know his name from the Aeroworx B200 forum... he was a fundamental source of information over there...

Andrew