Sign in to follow this  
D_Dragon

3 monitor setup with Asus GTX 680 direct CUIITop

Until now I tried to use 3 monitors on different AMD eyefinity cards, almost always with a negative result because you always needed to have a display port connected to be able to use 3 monitors. I tried an active adapter from DP to DVI, but also with a disappointing result. I am really fed up with this approach and plan to move to the new Asus GTX 680 directCU ii Top. This card has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 DP connectors of which you can use 3 connectors to create a 3d vision and the fourth connector for something completely different. As you can imagine I have become a 'little affraid' of those display ports. I have been searching for some documentation on the connection possiblities of this card but haven't found anything conclusive yet.

My question is: can you use both DVI and the HDMI connector together to create the 3d vision or do you need the display port as with the eyefinity technology. I want to use 3 screens next to eachother to create one continious display for 'the outside world' in FSX.

I hope some of you can shed some light on this 'problem'.

Thanks in advance,

Theo

I feel your pain with the displayport. 8 months ago, I had a 5870, and 3 23inch displays. I ran Eyefinity to power all three displays but it was easily the most utter failure I have ever experienced. The drivers were horrid and the displayport active adapter crashed constantly.

Until now I tried to use 3 monitors on different AMD eyefinity cards, almost always with a negative result because you always needed to have a display port connected to be able to use 3 monitors. I tried an active adapter from DP to DVI, but also with a disappointing result. I am really fed up with this approach and plan to move to the new Asus GTX 680 directCU ii Top. This card has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 DP connectors of which you can use 3 connectors to create a 3d vision and the fourth connector for something completely different. As you can imagine I have become a 'little affraid' of those display ports. I have been searching for some documentation on the connection possiblities of this card but haven't found anything conclusive yet.

My question is: can you use both DVI and the HDMI connector together to create the 3d vision or do you need the display port as with the eyefinity technology. I want to use 3 screens next to eachother to create one continious display for 'the outside world' in FSX.

I hope some of you can shed some light on this 'problem'.

Thanks in advance,

Theo

2D you can use any combination and avoid the display port. I ran 2 24" and 1 27" this way without issue on the 680.

3D requires display port and both dvi's. Rumor on nvidia and Evga is 301.25 changes this but I doubt it and only read of people having issues using the hdmi. However, 3D vision requires compatible monitors which all have display ports last time I checked.

After using 3D surround at a nvidia demo I didn't care for it nor the need to invest in new compatible monitors.

I am not quite 'at home' with the Nvidia terminology, but what I mean by 3D is to have 3 monitors on which one continious image will be displayed. This is in fact a 2D image because you can't see any depth. Is this posible without using the display port?

Thanks in advance,

Theo

I am not quite 'at home' with the Nvidia terminology, but what I mean by 3D is to have 3 monitors on which one continious image will be displayed. This is in fact a 2D image because you can't see any depth. Is this posible without using the display port?

Thanks in advance,

Theo

Then yes, the 680 allows for any combo of ports to be used for surround. You can choose both dvi's and hdmi.

3D Vision is NV's tech to make games 3D by using glasses and approved monitors.

A side question, for greater graphics horse power, would 2 x GTX 680 better for 3 x 27" monitors running 3d vs one card? Thank you.

A side question, for greater graphics horse power, would 2 x GTX 680 better for 3 x 27" monitors running 3d vs one card? Thank you.

In FSX no, but in other games, running 2 cards will give you a 30-50% jump in performance. For use with FSX, a single GTX680 will give you better performance.

Then were decided! When I am gonna build my new rig (with Ivy bridge) the current AMD goes down the drain. I'll buy a Nvidia 680 instead and can then start building my own simpit.

Thanks for the advice,

Theo