Sign in to follow this  
FS737Pilot

Typical 777 Flaps selections

1.) Is there a typical flap setting for takeoff on the 777, my guess would be flaps 15

2.) Most of us know that on the NG typical flap schedule would be 1,5,15, 30 or 1,5,15,25,40 does the 777 have a typical schedule during approach?

3.) Most 737 landings are with flaps 30 instead fo the full 40, does the 777 sometimes land with flaps 25 instead of the full 30?

thanks!

mitch bowman

It depends on the Gross Weight, Runway Length and Weather. I see Flaps 5 used a lot, especially on the 200/ER's. On the 300's I see Flaps 5-20, there is no real saying as it really depends on those factors. Unlike say the 747 which pretty much all the time has flaps 20.

Flaps 25 on Landing is used often yeah but so is Flaps 30, I've never personally seen flaps 20 on Landing on the 777.

Every Takeoff & Landing is different!

It depends on the Gross Weight, Runway Length and Weather. I see Flaps 5 used a lot, especially on the 200/ER's. On the 300's I see Flaps 5-20, there is no real saying as it really depends on those factors. Unlike say the 747 which pretty much all the time has flaps 20.

Flaps 25 on Landing is used often yeah but so is Flaps 30, I've never personally seen flaps 20 on Landing on the 777.

Every Takeoff & Landing is different!

Right, the 737 seems to be more consistent if you will on its flap selections. Of course there's the flaps 1 in certain conditions and flaps 10 or 15 in others for take off but usually it is flaps 5 for take off and flaps 30 for landing. Clearly the 777 is a different beast.

mitch bowman

Ive just run several scenarios through a 777 APS, almost every time was flaps 5 for takeoff. This was for a 772LR

For takeoff usually FLAP 5/15. Have seen FLAP 20 used for short runways in Caribbean though.

For landing, FLAP 25 for less drag and better G/A, sometimes FLAP 30 for short runway.

That's for 772/772ER

For takeoff usually FLAP 5/15. Have seen FLAP 20 used for short runways in Caribbean though.

For landing, FLAP 25 for less drag and better G/A, sometimes FLAP 30 for short runway.

That's for 772/772ER

Just nitpicking, but I believe a higher flap setting would be better when there is a higher probability for a go around, because it causes the engines to be at a higher EPR, thus giving them less time to get to TOGA thrust. So if you are doing an autoland in low-vis conditions and a very low DH/DA, you would want flaps 30 so those engines can jump up there real quick! Flaps 25 seems to be used frequently based on pics on A-net that I've seen. Probably at pilot's discretion, or company SOP. Plus, the 777 has very low Vref speeds for a plane it's size, so F25 won't cause much difference in landing distance. Just look up landing vids on youtube or buy the Just Planes Canada 777-200LR. It was near MLW and Vref+5 was only 142!!!!

~William Genovese~

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg         KAB200_sig3.jpg

Ive just run several scenarios through a 777 APS, almost every time was flaps 5 for takeoff. This was for a 772LR

If I may ask please, what is a 777 APS? thanks

Aircraft performance software. What pilots use to determine optimal takeoff and landing settings based on weight, weather, etc.

Just nitpicking, but I believe a higher flap setting would be better when there is a higher probability for a go around, because it causes the engines to be at a higher EPR, thus giving them less time to get to TOGA thrust. So if you are doing an autoland in low-vis conditions and a very low DH/DA, you would want flaps 30 so those engines can jump up there real quick!

Sounds good, but on the other hand it takes more time for the flaps to move from 30 to 15/5 instead from 25 to 15/5.

Just nitpicking, but I believe a higher flap setting would be better when there is a higher probability for a go around, because it causes the engines to be at a higher EPR, thus giving them less time to get to TOGA thrust

Less drag with Flap 25 so less fuel burn. And it's quicker to get to G/A Flap from Flap 25 than it is from Flap 30. So Flap 25 is usually preferred depending on the airline. Same with the 744 for the airline I work for.

The certified takeoff flap setting on the B777 models I operate is 5-20(200,200ER,LR,F,300, 300ER,ULR). It depends on the weight, temperature, wind, runway, runway intersection, runway condition, air pressure and CG(Full CG or ALT CG). We use an EFB(class 1-2-3) to calculate the takeoff performance based on the above mentioned conditions.

Normal landing flap is 30. Some airlines use 25 for landing flap. Flap 20 is normally used during a single engine approach & landing. Flap 20 is also the normal landing flap setting during an overweight landing (landing above max landing weight) and in a low fuel scenario (The low fuel EICAS message will display when either main tank is below 2.1 tonns). This requires a flap 20 landing.

Christian

I have a question, wouldn't it make more sense to come in with full flap for an overweight landing. Wouldnt that slow your speed down more, which is what you would want in that situation?

Overweight landing flap selection from the Boeing Flight Crew Training Manual:

"Guidance is provided to use flaps 20 for landing when the landing weight is greater than the landing climb limited weight or one engine is inoperative. If the landing weight is less than the landing climb limited weight but above the maximum landing weight and both engines are operative, an additional landing approach speed check must be made. This landing approach speed check is required to ensure that there is at least a 10 knot margin between the flaps 30 landing approach speed (VREF 30 plus additives for wind and gusts) and the flaps 30 placard speed. If a 10 knot margin exists, then flaps 30 is the recommended landing flap. However, if a 10 knot margin does not exist, then flaps 25 is the recommended landing flap and VREF 25 plus additives for wind and gusts is the recommended landing approach speed"

<p>Francesco

Another flap question.  I did not see this in the manual or on other posts:

I am a bit confused on what speed to make the next flap selection.  From what I read in the manual

Flaps 1 at 215 kts?, but then flaps 5 at 172 kts?, flaps 15 at 154 kts?, and flaps 30 at 142 kts???

What about 20 and 25?  do you skip these?

Also I do not understand the manual about the green flap number.

If I am on an approach and slowing down from 250 kts and I see the little green "1" , Is that the time to go Flaps 1 or the maximum speed for flaps 1, same with the other numbers 5, 15 - I never see a 20 or 25!

I am no rookie here, and I make really good landings, but I am simply guessing at the flap selections on the 777.

Paul Gugliotta