Sign in to follow this  
CaptMarcus

Beta Testing

Is beta for PMDG open t the public ? If so, I am interested to be a Beta tester for the upcomming B777X

I don't recall a public beta. Maybe this one will e different?

I think in one of the original 777 posts, PMDG said you should have 1000 hours in type and for maintenance it was a whole different but comparble set of requirements.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

- To beta test you must have at least 1,000hrs time in type, preferably as PIC, work as a technician, engineer or maintenance manager for in-operation 777s.

RSR

But I believe they should allow the public to do some testing to see this is what they want and provide feedback before releasing it.

Beta is not public.

Robert detailed why a while ago, but to summarize:

The public would probably flag certain things as bugs that really aren't. They're just quirks of the plane. As evidence, look back at the NGX forum right after release (and even now, actually). So many people flagged things in the forum as "bugs" when they simply didn't read the manual. That's more work that it's worth.

But I believe they should allow the public to do some testing to see this is what they want and provide feedback before releasing it.

They really shouldn't. See above.

Kyle Rodgers

The day the public beta was invented, has to go in the books as one of the darkest ever.

All kidding aside, betas were not meant to be public, and never should be.

The day the public beta was invented, has to go in the books as one of the darkest ever.

All kidding aside, betas were not meant to be public, and never should be.

While I do not disagree with what you are saying, Captain Sim's beta process for the 737-200 was actually pretty good. As the 777 is way more complicated and detailed, I don't think it would work. Just saying don't discount all public Beta programs.

PMDG has a "tech team" which is composed of RW pilots and maintainers. The "Beta Team" is composed of people who have been with PMDG since the get go. The only way you get onto the beta team is by actually bringing something to the table. The purpose of an "open beta" is not to find bugs, either, it's to test the software on a larger variety of hardware, to see if bugs crop up on different hardware configs. PMDG doesn't need to do this, as they've got a large enough dev team, tech team and beta team that their software gets exposed to different hardware during the closed beta.

Also, to the OP, "Beta Testing" isn't just taking the plane out for a spin to "see what it does". You may have to spend hours redoing something again and again to verify the conditions that a bug crops up in, or just making sure that something is consistent with the actual flight manual. I'm on the beta team for the VRS TacPack, and I've spent hours lasing stuff in MP, or lobbing cruise missiles at carriers to check their point defenses. Launch, look at the debrief, launch again, and repeat until I had a grasp as to what was going on.

Joe Sherrill

To be brutally honest, unless you know a lot about a particular aspect of either the real aeroplane, or have some very high-end programming or artwork abilities, there is probably very little you could contribute to the process, and quite apart from all this, I think PMDG tend to offer invites rather than solicit open calls and requests. As Joseph also notes, beta testing is a very intensive and repetitive process too.

Honestly, I suspect the vast majority of people would find the meticuolous nature of it somewhat tedious, for example, I have a friend who betas for A2A; he was a technician in the RAF for many years, working with jet fighters on their weapons, engines, systems and ejector seats, and so he is a real perfectionist when it comes to engineering standards - that's the kind of person companies such as A2A and PMDG want. I've occasionally done some beta testing, but I think it clashes with being an Avsim reviewer personally, so I tend to avoid it for that reason, I was even a bit leery about doing some of the voices for the FS2Crew 737 for Bryan for that same reason, even though I did actually go ahead with that one, and even something as simple as recording a list of phrases can de a bit of a drag, although to be fair it can be fun too.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Also, to the OP, "Beta Testing" isn't just taking the plane out for a spin to "see what it does". You may have to spend hours redoing something again and again to verify the conditions that a bug crops up in, or just making sure that something is consistent with the actual flight manual.

Could be more like days and days... :biggrin:

You mean like Captain Sim? nono I'd rather have real world 777 employee's test it out along with the team rather than people with no real world experience in it.

We have our own core group of testers who have experience and the patience to sit through days and days of repetitive testing. Many of them have been with us for years, one has been with us since PMDG was formed!

Tech pilots who have real world experience in flying particular airplanes we build and simulator techs also play a big role in validating our products.

If you really want to get in you have to be invited but we prefer those who bring a lot to the table in terms of experience and such.

Beta testing isn't like sitting in the cockpit and flying and flying to see if a bug crops up. They break the software and they have a good knowledge of FCOMs, they scrunitize our systems with a flea comb!

I didn't get hired by PMDG just by submitting an application form, I had to show RSR what I was capable of, my skills and experience. I actually made an effort to attend the Avsim Fancon in Seattle in 2008 and met Rob, had a good chat, showed him my portfolio and the rest is history. I was hired in August of 2008 and have been having a blast since then.

RSR hinted in the Munich video (first part) where he mentions the new guys he brought in and described how I was hired, thats a way to get in but really, one needs to bring more than just beta testing experience to the table...

Anyway we have a really good core group of guys here and it is entirely up to RSR who he hires we don't have a say :-)

Cheers,

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

We have our own core group of testers who have experience and the patience to sit through days and days of repetitive testing. Many of them have been with us for years, one has been with us since PMDG was formed!

Tech pilots who have real world experience in flying particular airplanes we build and simulator techs also play a big role in validating our products.

If you really want to get in you have to be invited but we prefer those who bring a lot to the table in terms of experience and such.

Beta testing isn't like sitting in the cockpit and flying and flying to see if a bug crops up. They break the software and they have a good knowledge of FCOMs, they scrunitize our systems with a flea comb!

I didn't get hired by PMDG just by submitting an application form, I had to show RSR what I was capable of, my skills and experience. I actually made an effort to attend the Avsim Fancon in Seattle in 2008 and met Rob, had a good chat, showed him my portfolio and the rest is history. I was hired in August of 2008 and have been having a blast since then.

RSR hinted in the Munich video (first part) where he mentions the new guys he brought in and described how I was hired, thats a way to get in but really, one needs to bring more than just beta testing experience to the table...

Anyway we have a really good core group of guys here and it is entirely up to RSR who he hires we don't have a say :-)

Cheers,

Well makes complete sense to me, although I know my FCOM and flying as a FO, and only have a couple hundred hours on a 737( I would be more than glad to help out, like the rest of you guys). I would feel like stepping on some toes of the testing guys, when kinda demanding a public test. And I at a point do not feel worthy yet, compared to the testing guys' experience! :-) And the only way to get a great product is to test it with a flea comb. ;-) - I hope I make any sense lol!

And Jason congrats on making the testing team! ;-)

Best regards Jakob

737 CL/NG skysurfer

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg2zzdi.jpg

Look up some NGX threads by autor davierosoft, how he brings up bugs, analyses them and suggest corrective action. You would need to do that, only every time, not just from time to time...

And Jason congrats on making the testing team! ;-)

Best regards Jakob

Intitially I came in on the MD-11 testing team and shortly thereafter became an employee of PMDG as a developer, now I work beside Vin on the 3D modelling stuff.

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64