Sign in to follow this  

The big VOR topic

it seems quite a few people are learning more and more about VOR navigation thanks to Flight. Probably because there is no GPS yet in the popular Maule and RV-6A. The lack of GPS isn't a bad thing, though. Using VOR is far more fun then simply following a line on a small screen (or following a yellow destination marker...).

I am one of those people who learned to use VOR thanks to Flight. Which means I am pretty new to it all. So I'm no expert! But I am able to get anywhere using VOR and to keep my situational awareness as high as possible. I just don't know or use the right terminology every now and then... :wink: Using VOR is a lot of fun because it keeps you busy (and entertained) during your flights!

I did not start this topic to tell you how VOR works but I started this topic to create a place to talk about VOR. I myself hijacked another topic shortly after Flight was released and I see questions about VOR popping up every now and then in various topics. Right now a topic about Flight becoming a combat game has been transformed into an online class about VOR usage: that's great and fun but even though I had posted something in it I had trouble myself finding the topic again because the link between 'combat game' and 'VOR' isn't a logical one... :wink: So I thought it would be a nice idea to start a topicc dedicated to VOR navigation, where you can learn about it, share tips, links, whatever. One topic that is easy to find thanks to a logical topic title. :wink:

So feel free to ask all your questions here and to share your knowledge!

Let me begin with a link the THE site about VOR navigation (and navigation in general):

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/vor-nav.htm

There also already is a basic VOR tutorial on this forum:

http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials/article/32-simple-radio-navigation-tutorial-for-microsoft-flight/

And here is a video that really helped me to learn more about VOR:

Well, while I am at it... To get you started:

First of all a picture of the VOR systems in the (currently only) 2 planes in Flight that have VOR.

210930_Nav%20RV.jpg

210931_Nav%20Maule.jpg

NAV1 and NAV2 can both be used for VOR navigation. The only difference is the gauge they are linked to. If you prefer one over the other, simply use the one you like. However, when you use the VOR gauges for landing (ILS) you have to use NAV1 because only the VOR1 gauges have a glideslope indication.

1. How to fly straight to a VOR (using the RV-6A's VOR1 and VOR 2 and the Maule's VOR 2)

Tune the NAV radio to the VOR frequency. Turn the OBS-knob on the bottom left of the VOR gauge until the CDI (the moving needle) is centered and (very important) the TO/FROM indicator is showing TO (pointing up). The heading at the exact top of the VOR gauge is the heading you should be flying. Turn towards that heading and keep the needle centered to get you to the VOR station. If the CDI goes left, slightly move your airplane left to recenter the line. When the CDI goes right, slightly move your airplane right to recenter the line. Do not 'chase the needle' but make small corrections to get back on track.

2. Where am I (using the RV-6A's VOR1 and VOR 2 and the Maule's VOR 2)?

Turn the OBS knob until the CDI is centered and the TO/FROM indicator is showing FROM (pointing down). The heading at the exact top of the VOR gauge is the radial you are on right now.

The Maule uses an HSI to show the VOR1 information. Setting it up works the same as with the other VOR gauges, but the CDI now is called a Deviation Bar and instead of having to read the heading at the top of the VOR gauge, you simply read the heading the yellow arrow (Course Select Pointer) is pointing towards.

Thanks for this, I dabble and know how to follow and intercept a radial just by messing around with it. Going to go thru your resources today and learn the proper way to do it.

I do it all the time. :wink: Just did another job without markers and it's great finding the airfield 'on your own'! It's way more fun then simply aiming for that destination marker...

Great initiatif JvE. Thank you for your efforts to make this tutorial-post. Indeed, it would be very effective to have it in 1 post. Maybe it could be 'pinned', please?

Very informative and educational. I really appreciate the time and effort you must have put into this topic, it will certainly encourage many more Flight uses to learn to fly using VORs. Well done.

3. Where am I more exactly?

The VOR is like a wheel with 360 spokes. The VOR is in the middle and the 'spokes' always (and only) point outwards. Radial 90 always points to the east, radial 180 always points to the south and so on. So if you center the CDI and make sure FROM is activated, as I posted earlier, you know on which radial you are.

Make note that this is regardless of the heading you are flying! You can be ON the 180 radial and fly south but also west or whatever direction. The radial on which you are ONLY tells you where you are and not where you are going. When you are on the 180 radial you are exactly south of the VOR. That's it.

In order to know a bit more precise where you are you can use the DME in the Maule and RV-6A. DME stands for Distance Measuring Equipment. Not every VOR also sends out DME signals, but in Hawaii they all do.

The DME is positioned directly underneath the second radio. When a VOR/DME is active you will see the distance to the VOR on the left and right from that you will see the speed at which you are getting closer or flying away from the VOR. Very handy information. :wink:

4. Where am I precisely?

An even more precise way to figure out where you are (so you can point at your exact position on a paper map) is using two VORs. Tune into two different VORs using both NAV radio's and rotate both OBS knobs until both VOR gauges show FROM and centered CDI's. Now if you would have a paper map of the area you are flying in and which also shows the VORs, you could draw a line out of the middle of each VOR on the radials which you are flying on and at a certain moment these two lines would cross. The spot where the lines cross is called an intersection. You are EXACTLY on that spot.

This method of using two VORs to figure out precisely where you are is called 'triangulation'. (This method can also be used in the opposite way to get you anywhere you want to, even to an airport that has no VOR on field. But that's something for later on... :wink: )

When you keep on practicing using VORs you will be able to mentally make a picture of your situation anytime and know exactly where you are. Situational awareness is very important in flight. No one likes to get lost. Try to constantly be aware of where you are!

BTW As I said, this topic isn't meant to be a complete tutorial: I just posted these examples and tips to get you all going. I am pretty new to all this myself, so don't expect me to tell you all there is to know about VOR. :wink: (And please correct me if I am saying stupid things! :wink: Feel free to ask anything you want to know or share your own tips!

5. Where am I, the quick (and not too precise) way?

Want to know quickly where you are in relation to a VOR without rotating knobs? Look at the VOR gauge (when a VOR is active). You can divide it in four quarters: top right, bottom right, bottom left and top left. You ALWAYS are on a radial in the quarter opposite of the CDI and the TO/FROM indicator. So with just one glance you can forget about the other 270 radials: you always are on one of the 90 radials in the quarter the CDI (which divides the gauge in half) and TO/FROM indicator (which divides the remaining half in half, leaving you with a quarter) do NOT point to.

As I said, it's not an exact method but it does help to get a quick idea of where you are in relation to the VOR.

Radial 90 always points to the west

East(cough)

East(cough)

LOL Thanks for that, haha!!! I ALWAYS mix up left and right... and hence also west and east. Very annoying... I've had this all my life. BTW I only have this when talking about it: I never actually go left when I should go right. Some sort of directional dislexia....? :wink:

Anyway, I corrected my mistake. Glad I could do so before the edit possibility was over...! Thanks for catching it this quick! :wink:

No problem! Just%20Kidding.gif

I posted this to your Steam thread, but figured I can toss it in here, too...

I just did a Job from one of the dinky little strips on the south side of the Big Island, flying the Kona 130 radial to intercept the Upolu 170 radial at 9000' (arcing around the shoulder of Mauna Loa), IFR conditions all the way, flying right over the peak of Puu Hualalai with 730' to spare according to my sectional (that was fun, waiting for the peak to loom out of the clouds right in front of me), then descending to 4000' while intercepting the Kamuela 220 radial, leading me right to a straight-in approach into Waimea-Kohala.

Tons of fun and not a single yellow Destination Marker in sight! I even got a "Nice landing!" comment from the PAX.

So I thought it would be a nice idea to start a topicc dedicated to VOR navigation, where you can learn about it, share tips, links, whatever.

Great idea Jeroen. I have printed off a lot of the 'how to' instructions in this thread and will start working through it.

Hope to be able to post that I have done my first VOR flight in the near future.

This is very helpful and will be a useful resource going forward.

Many thanks

Trevor

One of my favourite things to do on FS9 was to fly around Hawaii using VORs. Probably my most memorable FS moment.

I just did a Job from one of the dinky little strips on the south side of the Big Island, flying the Kona 130 radial to intercept the Upolu 170 radial at 9000' (arcing around the shoulder of Mauna Loa), IFR conditions all the way, flying right over the peak of Puu Hualalai with 730' to spare according to my sectional (that was fun, waiting for the peak to loom out of the clouds right in front of me), then descending to 4000' while intercepting the Kamuela 220 radial, leading me right to a straight-in approach into Waimea-Kohala.

Tons of fun and not a single yellow Destination Marker in sight! I even got a "Nice landing!" comment from the PAX.

Sounds awesome! Imagine flying in hard IFR conditions............ and seeing that destination marker all the time...! :Hypnotized: :wink: I am also only doing 'jobs-without-markers' now. It's more fun then simply flying around (although I also have fun doing real world approaches) and it's nice hearing remarks from the PAX. It just add's a little extra to the already great immersion.

Wow! I am new to all this and I just figured it all out. It adds so much more depth to Flight!