Sign in to follow this  
Von Rondstadd

Do you want a smooth flight with no stutters ?

I tried this, and it isn't better then my DX10 setup.

With DX10 and unlimited frames I get on average 33 frames with the NGX sitting at KLAX on 25R.

With the above setup using locked frames at 30 and the VSync, etc I got on average 24 frames on the same runway at KLAX, almost 10 frames difference!

Tested this all with fullscreen.

I had already tried/implemented almost every suggestion on there, but the beta nvidia driver, coupled with the Vsync suggestions, provided the single most significant improvement in quality of anything I've tried in the past several years. Noticeably smoother performance; even when frame rates dropped into the low twenties (in Vegas with add-on scenery, WOAI traffic at 100%, REX weather, and sliders maxed), the lack of microstutters made the frame rates a non-issue, which should be the case above 24 fps anyway. THANKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Well I went back and tried some different settings.

In the end, it turns out this actually is better overall then the DX10 setup and settings.

DX10:

- default MSFS AA 4x multisampling, (really crappy but better then no AA at all)

- no VSync

- no Anisotropic filtering

- microstutters

- gfx shimmering

= 33 fps on average with the NGX

I tried DX9 again (most settings done in invidia inspector):

- 4xS Combined AA

- 2x SSGS AA transparency

- 1/2 refresh rate VSync

- + all other inspector settings as shown in the guide

- NO microstutters

- NO gfx shimmering (and also no runway/taxiway texture flickering which happens in DX10)

- NO blank/untextured multiplayer aircraft while on VATSIM (also an issue with DX10)

= 30 fps on average with the NGX!

I lost 3 frames on average but gained a TON of visual quality improvement.

Not only that, but the smoothness is unbelievable. No more micro stutters which were still happening in DX10.

Because the micro stutters are gone, a drop from 30 fps to 25 fps depending on scenery/camera angles isn't even noticeable anymore.

I tried using 8xS Combined AA and my frames dropped to around 24 on average, a 6 fps loss.

The visual quality between 8xS and 4xS is so minimal I can't even tell, so going with 4xS is the sweet spot for me and in the end it's much, much better then the default MSFS 4x multisampling.

Somehow I also have a slight post processing glow even though I turned that option off in the FSX settings.

I think it comes from the 2x SGSS AA transparency. With or without the AA transparency, my frames were still 30 fps on average so I left the setting in.

My sim has never been smoother. Love this guide.

Thanks for trying again, AND posting your impressions. I think the new driver/inspector/Vsync combo is the holy grail of updates flight simmers have been hoping for. I would describe it as the equivalent of a 10 to 20 fps increase, except that doesn't even accurately describe the impact on quality - even at high frame rates, micro stutters impact quality. Conversely, I was flying out of KMIA at dawn into rain yesterday, with the specs and settings I described above. Even though my fps dropped to the high teens, it looked like a much, much higher frame rate because it was so smooth.

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Thanks for trying again, AND posting your impressions. I think the new driver/inspector/Vsync combo is the holy grail of updates flight simmers have been hoping for. I would describe it as the equivalent of a 10 to 20 fps increase, except that doesn't even accurately describe the impact on quality - even at high frame rates, micro stutters impact quality. Conversely, I was flying out of KMIA at dawn into rain yesterday, with the specs and settings I described above. Even though my fps dropped to the high teens, it looked like a much, much higher frame rate because it was so smooth.

I'm on a laptop so is it really worth doing? I get around 15-25FPS on the ground at an UK2000 Airport and 30-40 Airborne. Would like to get my settings perfect for the 777 :)

Well, I am certainly no expert, so take my advice at your own peril (and any members of the peanut gallery feel free to correct me).

I didn't do a clean install as was advised; I've done several in the past and feel pretty comfortable with my installation and where I have everything. Further, I don't believe I didn't have any of the suggested "tweaks" to the fsx.cfg file already. I also use FSPS FSX Extreme Booster - there's nothing magic about it, it just makes changes to the cfg file via a ui that's easy for idiots like me. I did mess around with the AA settings as suggested via Nvidia Inspector, but that is always matter of preference and the age old trade off of performance v. quality.

On the other hand, the Vsync suggestions are, aside from GPU processing power increases, the most significant development in improving the quality of FSX visuals I have seen in at least 3 or 4 years. There is no "cost," as is the case with most tweaks, where there is a trade off between quality and fps. There MAY be a small loss of frame rates, but whereas typically a loss of frame rates translates to a loss of smoothness, the effect of this "tweak" is a significant increase in smoothness, in all situations, regardless of frame rate. So there is no question it is worth it, IMO; I see no reason why a clean install of FSX would be necessary for the VSync fix, which I assume is inexorably intertwined with the latest beta driver from nVidia, 301.24 I believe, and the latest version of Inspector, 1.96.5, especially if you have already extensively tweaked your fsx. I think the only question would be whether your graphics card is covered by the driver mentioned. And then, as numerous people have mentioned, and I have learned from personal and painful experience, make sure that ALL vestiges of your existing driver are wiped clean before you install the driver.

Brian Johnson

I see no reason why a clean install of FSX would be necessary for the VSync fix, which I assume is inexorably intertwined with the latest beta driver from nVidia, 301.24 I believe, and the latest version of Inspector, 1.96.5, especially if you have already extensively tweaked your fsx.

Hi Brian,

You may have mus-understood, or given wrong info, but you need to start with a clean fsx.cfg, not a clean install of FSX. Is that what you meant ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I may have misunderstood. I know I read about a clean cfg file, I thought I read about a clean install. Of course a clean cfg file is a much easier issue, but I didn't do that either. I did look through the cfg file, and noticed a couple minor issues which I corrected, like a 2nd entry for my graphics card, but I think most of the other recommendations were either already there, or are made when I run Xtreme Booster. I'm certainly not discounting the value of the rest of Word Not Allowed's guide, or recommend ignoring his advice, it's just that in my case I didn't need to make many changes to my cfg file or start from scratch to see a significant improvement.

Brian Johnson

I may have misunderstood. I know I read about a clean cfg file, I thought I read about a clean install. Of course a clean cfg file is a much easier issue, but I didn't do that either. I did look through the cfg file, and noticed a couple minor issues which I corrected, like a 2nd entry for my graphics card, but I think most of the other recommendations were either already there, or are made when I run Xtreme Booster. I'm certainly not discounting the value of the rest of Word Not Allowed's guide, or recommend ignoring his advice, it's just that in my case I didn't need to make many changes to my cfg file or start from scratch to see a significant improvement.

Brian Johnson