Sign in to follow this  
kolaf

AivlaSoft EFB works!

Hi guys,

I have some good news for you. For my latest flight on vatsim I happened to launch a copy of the prepar3d executable I had renamed to FSX.exe. Imagine my surprise when the EFB DataProvider Sun reported a successful connection to fsx. It would be great if someone else could try this and confirm if this was just a one-time event or if it is a permanent solution until a better one comes along.

Best wishes,

Frank

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

That is a shame. I've tried it multiple times, and it worked every time. They are running on the same pc, not sure what else I have done that might be relevant.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

will not connect for me either - good machine you have there. :Thinking:

I got a connection.... I had to disable my registered version of FSUIPC before it would connect. Kept getting a fsuipc.dll error. Once I disabled FSUIPC, the data unit connected to Prepared (with the fse.exe rename). then the display unit connected also. Made a simple route up and things worked to an extent. I had trouble keeping the moving map updating and quite a bit of stuttering also while in the air. Will try a few more flights and see if I can get her to settle down. But yes it did connect

I also suffered stuttering in the air. Not sure why. There was a similar problem in FSX and the 737ngx, but that was fixed with a patch to efb.

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

Further testing reveals that the dataprovider tends to throw an exception whenever I activate a flight plan in EFB, when it tries to send the flight plan to FSX (p3d). When this happens any kind of tracking and connectivity shuts down. Why this worked for me the first time I still don't know. I think it suffered from some of the same problems, but for some reason it overcame them and continued tracking my flight.

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

Definitely strange behavior. After a reboot and shutting down all unnecessary programs and processes, I made a second short flight of about 100 miles. This time around the stuttering wasnt nearly as bad as my first flight and the moving map tracked my flight as it should. My route was simple, point "a" to point "b", everything worked as expected. AI traffic was visible and flight data was being displayed. I didn't notice any unusual behavior although my frame rate was approx. half of what it normally would be in that particular area. Go figure.

EDIT: FIY, when renaming the Prepar3d exe to fsx.exe and running the file it creates a fsx.cfg file in the AppData\Roaming\LocheedMartin\... folder. Some of the settings in the newly written cfg are default settings from FSX. ie. UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=20 and WideViewAspect=False. This explains why I lost my custom default flight when running the renamed exe and why the frame rate was lower. Might just throw my original fsx.cfg in there and see what happens.

I dont recommend copying your orig. fsx.cfg over to Prepar3d. Way to many issues to contend with. I've just let program write a new cfg and added a few items such as "AffinityMask" to it. Also I went into display options and configured my display settings. Now my Prepar3d (running as fsx) is much smoother and EFB is working as it should the last couple of flights.

For the configuration file I simply created a link called fsx.cfg to my existing prepar3d.cfg file. This allows me to have a single configuration file which is used by both instances of the executables.

Does the dataprovider give you any warning messages when you try to activate a flight plan? Is this where it has started flailing for me at the moment.

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

No errors in the data provider. Keep in mind I'm just entering a origin and destination in the route planning.

Capture.JPG

Why dont you try running the fsx.cfg thats written on start up instead of the linked .cfg. Just be aware that all your display settings will need to be reset.

This is great! Now I have both EFB and REX working for P3D.

I spoke too soon. Although both EFB and REX were following an IFR flight, P3D crashed after about 5 mins flying time.

I tried the same flight again. This time I terminated REX after it had loaded the wx into P3D (I've heard that REX has problems in P3D that REX Essentials will fix). The flight went well; will try a long PMDG MD-11 flight tomorrow.

IMHO the current REX WX engine doesn't play nice; I've had CTDs in FSX which went away when I stopped using it.

ActiveSky 2012 seems to work fine although I haven't yet got it to install WX-influenced graphics (of course one could use REX textures).

Here the easy way!

EFB is searching a fsx.exe only as task, not more! icon_e_surprised.gif

I have renamed TOPCAT.exe in FSX.exe (or every other 32-Bit Application )

Then Topcat started...

Then P3D...

Then Data Provider... voila connected!

Now Display Unit with a little plan

...WORKS! icon_lol.gif

Here you find my German How To with picturers

http://forum.flightm.de/index.php?page= ... adID=46189

Crazy! icon_mrgreen.gif

Regards Rainer

https://simmershome.de

cropped-logo.jpg

Hi Overflow,

I'll try your method tomorrow. I need to have a think about what small 32 bit Application to use to rename to fsx.exe. One that uses next to no resources would be good. Maybe one of those minesweeper games that come with Windows that I never use would do the trick?!

I think the dev for EFB is working on a patch for Prepar3d so we won't have to do this kind of thing for much longer...