Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Ivy Bridge hits the streets--post your results here

Hi guys first off thanks for the time spent creating the fsxbench test, it has highlighted a problem with my hardware, nedless to say my setup is running way below what it should..

After feeling my Pc was running FSX too slow I followed the installation instructions for fsxmark11 to the letter..

CPU intel i7- 2700k 3.5 overclocked to 4.6 HT on.

Mobo- ASUS Maximus extreme z68

Ram- Corsair vengance 8gb DDR 1866

GPU- Nvidia gtx 590

HDD- Corsair 120gb Force SSD

Average frame rates 28, I run loads of test last night and after putting my GPU in another pcie slot I got up to 42FPS which I was going to live with but this morning its dropped back to 28fps..

I think I will throw in the towel on this one and order a new MOBO and processor..

If I order by 10pm GMT I can have all the parts here tomorrow, hopefully ill have more luck and then can send back my parts for testing.

Ill be ordering from here http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Motherboards-Intel

so MOBO and processor combo let me know which I should go for..Yes you get to help me spend my money.. and I would love to get a top slot on the fsxbench11 results so Iam very interested in your thoughts, Hopefully HL James can chime in on this choices please gentelmen.. GTX680 can also be here tomorow for testing if you really want to know how it does..

Me again..Little confused on the processor stakes..

Ivybridge is a 1155 socket only correct? and that is the same as the sandybridge correct?

So whats the socket 2011,is that not considered an option for FSX?

Hi guys first off thanks for the time spent creating the fsxbench test, it has highlighted a problem with my hardware, nedless to say my setup is running way below what it should..

After feeling my Pc was running FSX too slow I followed the installation instructions for fsxmark11 to the letter..

CPU intel i7- 2700k 3.5 overclocked to 4.6 HT on.

Mobo- ASUS Maximus extreme z68

Ram- Corsair vengance 8gb DDR 1866

GPU- Nvidia gtx 590

HDD- Corsair 120gb Force SSD

Average frame rates 28, I run loads of test last night and after putting my GPU in another pcie slot I got up to 42FPS which I was going to live with but this morning its dropped back to 28fps..

I think I will throw in the towel on this one and order a new MOBO and processor..

If I order by 10pm GMT I can have all the parts here tomorrow, hopefully ill have more luck and then can send back my parts for testing.

Ill be ordering from here http://www.ebuyer.co...herboards-Intel

so MOBO and processor combo let me know which I should go for..Yes you get to help me spend my money.. and I would love to get a top slot on the fsxbench11 results so Iam very interested in your thoughts, Hopefully HL James can chime in on this choices please gentelmen.. GTX680 can also be here tomorow for testing if you really want to know how it does..

You should figure out what's going on before buying any new parts that you have no idea if will be of any help at all.

Believe me I have tried,

I have spent the last 4 days on forums trying to figure this out.. Its one of those really anoying issues you cant nail down.. If I send the stuff for testing I will be without anything for several weeks just to have them say they cant find anything wrong..If I played safe I could order just a Ivybridge chip which should work with my current MOBO, if results remain poor then I know its the MOBO, by changing the processor things do pick up then Im stuck with a gen2 board that doesnt have all the gen3 features that a gtx680 and Ivybridge can use so I might as well get them together.

I need new computers for work anyway so although this one didnt work out for FSX it can still be used elsewhere..Im not a FPS chaser but I will be using this in my 3 projector 270FOV curved screen setup and in 3dVision surround so I really need the extra power.. For example when I ran Kostas recommended setup on just my single screen at 1650x1050 res and activated 3 camera views which I need for 270FOV frame rates dropped to 20.. Once I throw in 3d and a res of 3840x720 that will drop to 10FPS..

I have just been reading up on the GTX680 and it appears it has more power than even my 590 which is basically 2 580's. and in 3d surround I will probably need to go GTX680 SLI..FSX cant make use of the sli but the 3d surround will..

Can you post a screenshot of GPU-Z while running FSMark11?

Did you set your Power Managment Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance" in nVidia Inspector?

What's your CPU and GPU usage like?

Clock by clock IB is faster.

I am just putting this out there, if you are firmly set on buying a less OC chip, then you go for it.

But, if you truly plan to OC very high, then SandyBridge is the way to go. There is no evidence anywhere that IB is any faster than SB at all within FSX. Clock for clock in FSX, they are identical.

I am just putting this out there, if you are firmly set on buying a less OC chip, then you go for it.

But, if you truly plan to OC very high, then SandyBridge is the way to go. There is no evidence anywhere that IB is any faster than SB at all within FSX. Clock for clock in FSX, they are identical.

Thanks for the advice :)

But, I'm pretty set on IB. Call me stupid if you will.

Aamir Thacker

Wouldn't you just believe it, No sooner as I post the last message I moved the GPU again and ran fsxbench 11 got an average result of 34.. No overclock..

Just put a 4.8 overclock on it and have run the 4 fsxbench tests and got an average of 44FPS.. As I am typing this its running another test at 5ghz Overclock...

But will this be like last night when I achieve a good frame rate and tomorrow when I reboot its back to 25 again.. I think what I will do is order the following anyway, We have a 7day returns rule in the UK so if I dont use them ill send them back and all its cost is a little postage..Good job work is not to busy at the moment, the wife is just glaring at me while I swear at this computer when I should be doing the embroidery LOL..

Gainward GeForce® GTX 680 Phantom 4GB GDDR5 Dual DVI DisplayPort HDMI PCI-E

Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE Z77 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard

or maybe

Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Socket 1155 HDMI DisplayPort 8 Channel Audio ATX Mother

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor this ones not showing stock so I would have to wait on it..or just get this one

Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

I just read some comparison reviews on the GTX680 vs the GTX590.. It looks like the 590 creates uses software sli and so gets hammered when compared to 2x gtx680's in sli which is hardware based. It also seems that the gtx680 supports pcie3, and the mother board Im looking at both have 2x pcie 3 slots. but to utilise PCIe 3 you need to be using an ivybridge chip.

oc 5ghz- results just in, average 45.5FPS CPU 35 degc now ill go for 5.2ghz..

5.2 and 5.1 froze on windows splash screen so looks like 5ghz it is..Im gonna read up on the asus forum about offset see if I can get it higher..

It also seems that the gtx680 supports pcie3, and the mother board Im looking at both have 2x pcie 3 slots. but to utilise PCIe 3 you need to be using an ivybridge chip.

You are correct. To natively support PCIe 3 you need a IB setup. SB-E will eventually get PCIe 3 support from Nvidia once the speeds are verified. As of now the drivers are locked to IB only.

If you are wanting two 680 cards in SLI you might want to take a look at the GTX 690 as well. Construction and performance are the main selling points of the 690 over twin 680's per most reviews.

Also I haven't read a review yet that has had issues with drivers like the 590 did.

I just read some comparison reviews on the GTX680 vs the GTX590.. It looks like the 590 creates uses software sli and so gets hammered when compared to 2x gtx680's in sli which is hardware based. It also seems that the gtx680 supports pcie3, and the mother board Im looking at both have 2x pcie 3 slots. but to utilise PCIe 3 you need to be using an ivybridge chip.

oc 5ghz- results just in, average 45.5FPS CPU 35 degc now ill go for 5.2ghz..

5.2 and 5.1 froze on windows splash screen so looks like 5ghz it is..Im gonna read up on the asus forum about offset see if I can get it higher..

45 FPS is about right. But how are you overclocking that you're going from 4.5 to 5.2GHz like that? you seem to be in a total OC frenzy!

Im following the guide on the ROG forum, which actually has some simple screen shots walking you through the overclocking procedure.. It mentions how only around 10% of users can get over 5ghz.. Im not going to heavy into to it just increasing a few of the numbers and seeing what happens.

Im following the guide on the ROG forum, which actually has some simple screen shots walking you through the overclocking procedure.. It mentions how only around 10% of users can get over 5ghz.. Im not going to heavy into to it just increasing a few of the numbers and seeing what happens.

are you monitoring temps & Vcore?

Two rules that I follow:

Never exceed 1.38Volts and never exceed 75-80Celcius.

As long as you strictly follow those two rules, you will be in the safe zone for a SB chip.

Well using the asus software cpu temp is at 35 Celsius.. Voltage is at 1.425, vcore im not sure of..

Just run a test 5ghz ovclock HT off affinity mask 84 frame rate dropped from 45 to 42 for the fsxbench test..

turned Hyperthreading back on , affinity mask 14 frame rates back upto 45..

It seems ebuyer cant do late shipping on the MOBO I was looking at so will hold off on ordering for now..

Can you explain why you might go with IB3770k Z77 mobo over something like the i7 3820 on an x79 mobo, the later is more expensive and Im just thinking the old saying you get what you pay for.. If it costs more is it not better?