Sign in to follow this  
Paavo

FSX support for Prepar3D

Not quite sure why anyone would pay to have a tool perform a function, that any established simmer can perform, manually. Especially now the ORBX migration tool is available. But hey, each to their own I guess. :Money Eyes:

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Keep in mind that some developers do not approve of FSX to P3D installations without proper licensing to accomplish that.

Although a clever concept, it may not be acceptable depending on the product or the developer. In other words, it could be considered a "hack" tool in certain instances.

I cannot speak for Lockheed Martin, but I know they are sensitive to 3rd party licensing as noted above and I personally could not see them endorsing this if violations occur as a result.

In the US, EULA terms apply. However, it is uncommon to see addons specifically restricted to FSX. Usually the restriction applies only to the number of copies, e.g. "you may install and use one copy of the software".

In the European Union, laws stand higher than EULAs. Article 6 of 1991 Computer Programs Directive permits "unauthorised reproduction, translation, adaptation or transformation of the form of the code in which a copy of a computer program has been made available /---/ to make it possible to connect all components of a computer system, including those of different manufacturers, so that they can work together," as long as the original piece of software was obtained legally.

Rather than uninstall FSX can I just remove the FSX application file from with the FSX root folder??

Or must I eliminate the Registry entry by uninstallation?

FSX should be uninstalled with root folder removed or renamed and with no registry keys present.

Registry keys can be deleted using files contained in this zip:

http://www.flightsim...stryEntries.zip

Takes mere seconds.

In addition, C:\Users\[usernmae]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX, My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files and My Pictures\Flight Simulator X Files folders should removed or renamed. My tool takes care of this automatically.

If so I would recommend to people to leave their root folder in place after the uninstall and use it as a storage resource for large sceneries, add-on scenery and the like.

Many sceneries make modifications to simulator's files (such as terrain.cfg), place effects or sounds into simulator's folders and use custom .dll files to enhance simulator's functions. It is highly recommended that you install sceneries directly into Prepar3D instead of adding them to Scenery Library from FSX.

Urgent assistance from Paavo would be greatly appreciated.

I thank you for adding the log and as I PM'd you I will release an update shortly. Initially FSX support for Prepar3D was not meant to support Prepar3D installations anywhere else than under standard Program Files folder (as documented in the manual), but the feedback from several users urged me to look further into the matter and an update allowing non-standard installations will be shortly available. It was a limitation set by Windows' file system, and I just figured out a way around it.

Not quite sure why anyone would pay to have a tool perform a function, that any established simmer can perform, manually. Especially now the ORBX migration tool is available. But hey, each to their own I guess. :Money Eyes:

Many complex addons alter simulator's files, such as add entries to dll.xml. No doubt an established simmer can perform these changes manually, but it may take significant time to learn where and what changes have to be made, especially if several addons install over another and make incremental changes based on what other addons are installed.

Another issue is that you can easily copy the files over to Prepar3D, but do you later remember what and where you put? I had the habit of copying everything over from FS2002 to FS2004, and it didn't take long before my FS2004 became bloated with half-uninstalled files. An aircraft's folder was, for example, deleted, but some if its gauges were still on root gauges folder and textures were still wasting disk space in root texture folder.

With FSX support for Prepar3D, you can not only use old installers, but old uninstallers too.

I have deleted fsx from my computer and installed Prepar3D. FSX support for Prepar3D is not working. It keeps saying I have FSX installed. There is nothing left on my computer that has to do with FSX including the registry.

Save your money.

With buying the product, you are not only entitled to a product, but also to support. I'm sorry that my tool didn't work out of the box for you, but if you would send me the error log (located at C:\Program Files\Flightsim Estonia\FSX support for Prepar3D\FSX2Prepar3D.log), I believe I could fix any issues that prevent you from using the tool. There are most likely some unusual leftovers from FSX present.

I provide a support ticket system through http://tracker.flightsim.ee/ and I'd appreciate if you could file your issues there to ensure best response time.

The sky up above is so much bluer.

Guys save your money use this http://code.google.com/p/symlinker/

I will write a complete tutorial today, but its very easy to use and trust me when I say it works with many many addons.

The guy selling this tool basically ripped off the same idea as symlink

I use SymLink's, too. You can install FSX AddOn's just like installing them into FSX.

Patric

I bought and tried the 'migrator'.

I took the massive step of deleting my FSX installation. First time in the lifespan of the sim that I contemplated such a move.

Now I have this error message:

LOG START ====================================================

Checking if FSX is installed

An installation of FSX was not found

P3D root successfully read F:\Prepar3D\

Checking if virtual folder exists

WARNING: Failed to read FSX root, reason: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Virtual folder doesn't exist

USER ACTION: CREATE BUTTON PRESSED

Creating virtual folder

Checking if FSX is installed

An installation of FSX was not found

P3D root successfully read F:\Prepar3D\

ERROR: Prepar3D not on the same disk with Program Files

My P3D folder is on a standalone drive.

After the first error message (not shown above) I installed the program onto the same HDD as P3D, same message, so I created a dummy Program Folder - still no good.

Urgent assistance from Paavo would be greatly appreciated.

this is from the product User's Manual:

"Prepar3D must be installed under Program Files, otherwise it

is impossible to create virtual FSX installation. This is due to

very core architecture of Windows operation systems."

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

There was a gentleman writing in vulgar language to support email claiming that my tool is a total rip-off, and threatening to post it all over the Internet.

Here's a snippet from my explanation to him:

Symbolic links are only a small part of the program. Many installers do not read symbolic links correctly, and thus we actually use a mix of several methods (symbolic links, hard links, registry entries, dummy files, etc) and safety precautions.

In addition, we install a lightweight Windows service that monitors what installers and uninstallers do to the virtual FSX installation. This is because during testing we found out that some installers tend to destroy such links, and do much more.

If you have deep knowledge of Windows and a significant amount of time in your hands, you are of course encouraged to hack your way through Windows on your own and have full control over what is going on. However, as we found out during testing, there are many rocks you may stumble upon, and this product is geared towards those who wish to avoid such exploration in the name of comfort.

I have not "copied the idea", but made use of Windows feature. Virtual folders were not invented by the authors of "symlinker" software as he seemed to suggest, but by UNIX programmers back in 1978 and they are a feature of all modern file systems. With my tool, I am not simply repackaging something Windows already has, but my tool creates different kinds of links between a multitude of simulator-specific files and folders and monitors what is done to them.

This is more than "symlinker" offers and I believe my tool is beneficial to those who lack experience with fairly heavy tweaking of their computer. I run a small flightsim news site (in Estonian) at http://www.lennusimu.net/ and I get fairly often emails from people who are having trouble with even as simple tasks as installing repaints. Terms such as "file system hard links" are way above their head, but this should not stop them from enjoying their FSX addons in Prepar3D.

Question:

With SymLink , can it redirect my Folders links only when the Symlink is running or it does it permanently?

I want FSX and P3D Side by Side, hence I want to install an addon for FSX and the same Addon to P3D,

but for this I would need Symlink not to redirect my folders if it is not running and only redirect the folders

when the tool is running when I am ready to install the addon to the P3D folder.

is that possible?

Joel Strikovsky

Question:

With SymLink , can it redirect my Folders links only when the Symlink is running or it does it permanently?

I want FSX and P3D Side by Side, hence I want to install an addon for FSX and the same Addon to P3D,

but for this I would need Symlink not to redirect my folders if it is not running and only redirect the folders

when the tool is running when I am ready to install the addon to the P3D folder.

is that possible?

This is possible with manual editing, but not recommended, because it may cause corruption, and that's why its not available in FSX support for Prepar3D. The thing is, if you for example use an addon that has a single copy of settings outside of simulator's root folder (in, say, C:\Users\Paavo\AppData\Roaming\..), then on uninstalling one of the two copies, the remaining copy may lose its settings, too (depends on uninstaller behaviour), because the settings for both of them were kept in the same folder. I first discovered such risk with Reality XP gauges that keep their settings under C:\ProgramData\Reality XP\.

You really have to know very well what you're doing for the side-by-side approach to succeed.

that is something I am willing to live with as I am not planing on un-installing anything from FSX only phase it out slowly. once I decide

that all my vital Addons are working on P3D, I am planing on doing is deleting the Folder(s) (FSX, %AppData%\Microsoft\FSX\, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX, etc.) in questions without using the traditional Un install feature.

I am willing to risk some wired addons being damaged on both FSX/P3D (I could always reinstall those if needed) then giving up the Side-by-Side configuration.

if you configure your tool to give me that Option (let the user decide on what style of that tool he wants to run during the Installation - with warnings, etc), it is sure worth every penny.

during the Installation let him pick "Only P3D installed" Both FSX & P3D Installed". if the user picks the "both" options, you can direct him to the limitation disclaimer

once he hits the "Next" Button.

that is just an Idea of how to do it, there are many ways you could do it.

Joel Strikovsky

I spoke with a few testers and since this has been requested before, I have now implemented support for side-by-side installations (it was already programmed, but deliberately left out). It is automatically handled when FSX is detected, and no user interaction is needed. For user's information, a warning is shown (screenshot) and I have added information on possible side effects of side-by-side installations to documentation.

And of course, installations of Prepar3D residing on drives other than Windows' are now supported as well, with the requirement that virtual FSX has to be on the same drive with Prepar3D.

Existing customers have been notified via email.

I think this is a great idea Paavo, I'm your ideal customer. Sure there are ways to do manual migration, but boy it is a bit time consuming and complicated.

So your tool can let me choose between installing it to FSX or P3d or both at the same time?

Thanks for making this! :)

Paavo: I greatly appreciate your rapid response.

Where can I download the upgrade, and also are there some nice easy cookbook, or click by click instructions for people like me.

Your latest email hasn't got to me yet.

...... I thought I read your instructions clearly but I confess to having failed to notice the information about the same disk requirement. My fault.

I think this is a great idea Paavo, I'm your ideal customer. Sure there are ways to do manual migration, but boy it is a bit time consuming and complicated.

So your tool can let me choose between installing it to FSX or P3d or both at the same time?

Thanks for making this! :)

Thank you for kind words.

If you want to install an addon for both simulators, follow these steps:

1. Run the migration tool and make sure virtual folder has not been created. If it has, delete it.

2. Run addon's installer. Addon will be installed into real FSX.

3. Run migration tool. Create virtual folder.

4. Run addon's installer again. Addon will be installed into virtual FSX folder, redirecting installed files into Prepar3D.

If you then wish to run Prepar3D, keep virtual folder. If you want to run FSX, delete it.

As I previously wrote, there is an issue with having FSX and Prepar3D installed on the same computer: only one set of shortcuts/etc gets installed and they will be pointing to last installed copy of each addon.

Where can I download the upgrade, and also are there some nice easy cookbook, or click by click instructions for people like me.

Link to version 1.1 is at the bottom of the page:

http://www.flightsim...-migration-tool

It will automatically remove previous version.

...... I thought I read your instructions clearly but I confess to having failed to notice the information about the same disk requirement. My fault.

I should have pointed it out more clearly. My bad.

I have deleted fsx from my computer and installed Prepar3D. FSX support for Prepar3D is not working. It keeps saying I have FSX installed. There is nothing left on my computer that has to do with FSX including the registry.

Save your money.

I'm no computer wiz, but simple logic tells me that your registry file has to be clean of any trace of FSX and uninstalling it surely won't do that. Try re-installing Windows before you install FSX Support for P3D. That should clean out your registry.

Explain to me why anyone would be willing to pay for a new simulator based off off an existing simulator, yet expect to pay nothing to migrate an existing add-on to the simulator they were williing to pay for?

And why would anyone be willing to pay for a product that allows them to not pay for a product ?

I will rephrase not acceptable. If someone installs an FSX product licensed for FSX into P3D and not licensed for P3D, it is piracy. Clear enough?

I get a little tired of seeing self-proclaimed lawyers and EULA police. Apparently Avsim is getting tired of it too, and you obviously missed the post marked "Everyone Read"

http://forum.avsim.n...9;2360591']

I spoke with a few testers and since this has been requested before, I have now implemented support for side-by-side installations (it was already programmed, but deliberately left out). It is automatically handled when FSX is detected, and no user interaction is needed. For user's information, a warning is shown (screenshot) and I have added information on possible side effects of side-by-side installations to documentation.

And of course, installations of Prepar3D residing on drives other than Windows' are now supported as well, with the requirement that virtual FSX has to be on the same drive with Prepar3D.

Existing customers have been notified via email.

Paavo, this sounds to me like it is going to be a great tool and a really big help. I didn't even consider installing P3D until I seen it.

I've already purchased FSX Support for P3D and I see the notice of a new update in my email.

Are you saying that now, with the update, it will work if you have both P3D and FSX installed?

I uninstalled FSX completely, re-installing Windows 7, and was going to re-install FSX (it got corrupted), but after seeing your tool, I thought maybe I would just install P3D and forget about FSX. Only thing is that I don't think P3D works with TrackIR yet, and I can't even fly without TrackIR.

It would be nice if I could install both FSX and P3D until the deadbeats (kidding) at TrackIR make their head-tracker compatible with P3D.

Since the update, does FSX Support for P3D support both sims being installed on the same HD?

Your software is very in-expensive and I'm certain it will be very valuable. Thank you for making it.

Bob

Also Paavo, I see people in another thread, jumping through hoops to try to get Orbx migrator to work. It looks like they have to have both FSX and P3D installed to make it work.

Will FSX Support for P3D work smoothly on its own, with installing all of the Orbx scenery, and using People Flow?