Sign in to follow this  
Paavo

FSX support for Prepar3D

Are you saying that now, with the update, it will work if you have both P3D and FSX installed?

Yes, it will.

I must warn that there may be incompatibility issues with both simulators installed and with a certain addon installed for both simulators. For example, if you install Captain Sim C-130 to FSX, it writes installation information to registry and you won't be able to install it for second time (to Prepar3D) because registry will tell the installer that C-130 is already installed. I can program hacks to bypass it into my tool, but this requires a bit of co-operation from someone who has the addon since such hacks have to be tailored for each addon.

The sky up above is so much bluer.

I get a little tired of seeing self-proclaimed lawyers and EULA police. Apparently Avsim is getting tired of it too, and you obviously missed the post marked "Everyone Read"

Apparently you and a couple of others did not understand the point of my message. I said nothing about a EULA. You did, not me. My point of licensing is with the 3rd party vendor / developer.

If the 3rd party vendors / developers product is licensed for FSX and not licensed for P3D, and you install it into P3D via any other means other than an official P3D installer offered by the developer than it is not only not supported, but not licensed either. Agree or not, that is my position.

If the 3rd party vendors / developers product is licensed for FSX and not licensed for P3D, and you install it into P3D via any other means other than an official P3D installer offered by the developer than it is not only not supported, but not licensed either.

Third party developers may indeet not support addons installed into Prepar3D, but as I pointed out, using FSX addons with Prepar3D (or any other simulator that supports them) is completely legal in most of the world, including the whole European Union, no matter what the license says. This is to guarantee basic interoperability to end user and to prevent product lock-outs like "this CD works with Sony CD-players only".

4. Run addon's installer again. Addon will be installed into virtual FSX folder, redirecting installed files into Prepar3D.

If you then wish to run Prepar3D, keep virtual folder. If you want to run FSX, delete it.

Is it possible to set in the tool "Disable/Enable" button to redirect or not redirect to the Virtual Directory instead of the hassle of Creating and deleting the Virtual Folder every time I want to use/install to FSX/P3D....

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Is it possible to set in the tool "Disable/Enable" button to redirect or not redirect to the Virtual Directory instead of the hassle of Creating and deleting the Virtual Folder every time I want to use/install to FSX/P3D....

Creating and deleting virtual folder is the same as enabling and disabling it.

If virtual folder has been created, installations are redirected from FSX to Prepar3D.

If it has been deleted, installations go to FSX.

I can rename the buttons for clarity. I admit I may have a bit of trouble seeing how to best convery to average user what the tool is doing because knowing what goes on under the hood makes me I think in possibly confusing terms.

actually knowing what is going under the hood makes it clear to understand how to use the tool :)

so when I delete the virtual folder , would the tool be smart enough to also skip the %AppData%\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg, dll.xml, exe.xml, etc file(s) as well or only skips the FSX main installation folder?

as I understand I only create one virtual folder for the main FSX Installation folder not to the other FSX System folders.

e.g. if an addon wants to write to fsx.cfg, the tool should be smart enough to redirect it to Prepar3D.cfg file instead, but the virtual folder does not reference to those folders/files.

same for dll.xml & exe.xml needs to be redirected from Microsoft\FSX to whatever folder in %AppData% Prepar3D is located.

the same also for ProgramData for the Scenery.cfg file.... all those...

could you shed some light on that as well (other FSX Folders)?

Joel Strikovsky

When you click Create virtual folder, the tool in general follows these steps:

1. Checks if FSX is installed. If it is, then registry keys are backed up and all FSX folders (FSX root, AppData, ProgramData, MyDoc\FSX Files, MyPic\FSX Files) are renamed, with ".backup" appended to their name. A backup of registry keys is made.

2. Creates links, dummy folders, etc. to where FSX files and folders were before renaming them. It also extracts dummy exe files, etc.

3. Writes registry information pointing to the path you chose as virtual folder.

4. Starts custom-programmed Windows service that monitors the state of links to prevent their deletion (some installers don't respect links).

When you delete virtual folder, these steps are made in reverse and changes are restored from backup.

You only need to define virtual FSX folder. This is the folder that will be treated as root folder and this is where you point installers that can't read registry and ask you for the path to FSX. Other fake FSX folders (AppData, ProgramData, etc) are created automatically.

Third party developers may indeet not support addons installed into Prepar3D, but as I pointed out, using FSX addons with Prepar3D (or any other simulator that supports them) is completely legal in most of the world, including the whole European Union, no matter what the license says. This is to guarantee basic interoperability to end user and to prevent product lock-outs like "this CD works with Sony CD-players only".

So essentially you are saying that it doesnt matter what the licensing requirments or position of the developer is, you will do what you want.

But keep in mind that this is counter-productive. Because the least the developer is respected in thier position, the more they will do to protect thier products from being used outside of the licensing requirements.

When you click Create virtual folder, the tool in general follows these steps:

1. Checks if FSX is installed. If it is, then registry keys are backed up and all FSX folders (FSX root, AppData, ProgramData, MyDoc\FSX Files, MyPic\FSX Files) are renamed, with ".backup" appended to their name. A backup of registry keys is made.

2. Creates links, dummy folders, etc. to where FSX files and folders were before renaming them. It also extracts dummy exe files, etc.

3. Writes registry information pointing to the path you chose as virtual folder.

4. Starts custom-programmed Windows service that monitors the state of links to prevent their deletion (some installers don't respect links).

When you delete virtual folder, these steps are made in reverse and changes are restored from backup.

You only need to define virtual FSX folder. This is the folder that will be treated as root folder and this is where you point installers that can't read registry and ask you for the path to FSX. Other fake FSX folders (AppData, ProgramData, etc) are created automatically.

the flow is amazing and makes sense, however you missed one part which I am still puzzled.

at what point after No 4. it would know to redirect the Installation to the P3D folder, when based on the flow I am seeing (no 2. and 3.)

it would deploy the changes to the Dummy FSX folder(s) (not the real FSX ".backup", but the Newly created Dummy FSX folders)

I am already thinking forward and thinking of an option maybe to skip the P3D redirection part (as an additional option) but keep it directed to the Newly created FSX dummy folders.

this is for Addon Installation tracking (to see what an Addon install and set when you Install it).

would make this easier for manual Addon integration if one knows what exactly the Addon does when installed.

Wow , that would make this an Amazing tool that is also good to those who use FSX only as an FSX Addon Snapshot tool (track what was changed)...Maybe with an option to even revert changes :)

Sorry, I just love the concept of your tool and I am thinking how to make this even better, so I am throwing all kinds of ideas.

Amazing Job, I am sure going to buy it......

Much better then the Symbolic Link free generic tool as your tool is dedicated for the FSX/P3D, worth the small fee of that tool.

Joel Strikovsky

So essentially you are saying that it doesnt matter what the licensing requirments or position of the developer is, you will do what you want. But keep in mind that this is counter-productive. Because the least the developer is respected in thier position, the more they will do to protect thier products from being used outside of the licensing requirements.

I am simply stating that in many parts of the world, user may use legally obtained product how he or she wants, unless piracy or commercial use is involved. It is considered one of the most basic consumer rights. When developers release a product, they must be ready to see that right exercised by their customers, just as they have to accept returns, no matter if there's "NO RETURNS!!!" written all over the product or if any licensing deals between developer and data supplier (or whoever else) prohibit them.

If a developer has obtained, say, information on a certain airplane from its manufacturer for use in FSX only and there is trouble arising from that product being used on Prepar3D, then the developer is at fault for not taking consumer protection laws into account when signing deals.

However, I have yet to meet a developer in such "licensing hell". There may be terms not allowing the original developer to release product to Prepar3D, but I would be very surpised to see an agreement punishing the developer if end user ports the product over. Can you give such example? The developer must've been mad to sign something that holds him/her liable for actions outside of his/her reach.

the flow is amazing and makes sense, however you missed one part which I am still puzzled.

at what point after No 4. it would know to redirect the Installation to the P3D folder, when based on the flow I am seeing (no 2. and 3.)

it would deploy the changes to the Dummy FSX folder(s) (not the real FSX ".backup", but the Newly created Dummy FSX folders)

I think I need to explain what is going on on file level.

If virtual FSX is not present (deleted or not created at all), and you have FSX and Prepar3D installed, then this is what's going on:

WZXqu.png

There are two installations, FSX and Prepar3D. If you make any changes to Prepar3D folder you see on your computer, changes will be made to Prepar3D folder on your hard drive and the changes will appear when you start Prepar3D.

However, if you create virtual folder, things get interesting. The original FSX is renamed. Instead of it, the folder you chose on first run to serve as virtual FSX folder is turned into that and it now points to Prepar3D. If you make a change to Cessna 172's aircraft.cfg, that change will appear in both virtual FSX and Prepar3D folder, because you are actually changing only one file - the aircraft.cfg belonging to Prepar3D!

See diagram:

koPEy.png

this is for Addon Installation tracking (to see what an Addon install and set when you Install it).

would make this easier for manual Addon integration if one knows what exactly the Addon does when installed.

Wow , that would make this an Amazing tool that is also good to those who use FSX only as an FSX Addon Snapshot tool (track what was changed)...Maybe with an option to even revert changes :)

It would of course be amazing to have a snapshot tool tailored for FSX and Prepar3D, I personally don't believe I have the skill to deliver it. Such tools are way too error-prone for my skill level. You may be better off with generic backup software such as EaseUS Todo Backup, available for free from http://www.todo-back...up-software.htm

so in theory if I browse through my Virtual FSX folder I will actually see all my P3D files/Folders, smart.

forgot you enabling a Symbolic Link and not an Alias Folder...

I would probably understand much better when actually seeing it in my own eyes.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I am off to buy it now.

P.S. when I meant Snap shot tool for FSX, if you think about it it is not that complicated to do.

well it's not really a snapshot tool but an "Addon deviate" if you run the flow from No 1 -> 3 (in your previous post) without the P3D redirection.

what essentially it does, it would install the addon to a dummy folders (not actually in FSX), that way the user could have a full Snapshot of the Addon that he or she could investigate on the changes that are done (potentially

changes that would be done), call it a Ripping tool or "Addon Installation Simulation" or whatever.

for me I am seeing it as a great way to deal with tricky addons. if I snap it into the dummy folders, I can then brows manually to all the fake FSX folders and see exactly what changes the Addon wants to change.

once I got that Info , I could manually tweak the addons to my needs or to work well with P3D Manually if I want.

For FSX Users it is good for "Addon Installation Simulation" if they wish on knowing what changes would occur in their FSX if they install the Addon.

Like a test Lab / Staging area before doing the actual Installation.

Joel Strikovsky

P.S. when I meant Snap shot tool for FSX, if you think about it it is not that complicated to do.

well it's not really a snapshot tool but an "Addon deviate" if you run the flow from No 1 -> 3 (in your previous post) without the P3D redirection.

what essentially it does, it would install the addon to a dummy folders (not actually in FSX), that way the user could have a full Snapshot of the Addon that he or she could investigate on the changes that are done (potentially

changes that would be done), call it a Ripping tool or "Addon Installation Simulation" or whatever.

for me I am seeing it as a great way to deal with tricky addons. if I snap it into the dummy folders, I can then brows manually to all the fake FSX folders and see exactly what changes the Addon wants to change.

once I got that Info , I could manually tweak the addons to my needs or to work well with P3D Manually if I want.

For FSX Users it is good for "Addon Installation Simulation" if they wish on knowing what changes would occur in their FSX if they install the Addon.

Like a test Lab / Staging area before doing the actual Installation.

There is already a tool for that called Sandboxie. It will run a program in a "sandbox" that looks to the program like a whole computer. However, nothing that program does in the sandbox will affect your real computer and you can easily delete or reset the sandbox.

See:

http://www.sandboxie.com/

cool, thanks.

Any way I just got your tool this second from SimMarket.

shame I can't install it as I haven't got P3D yet installed on my computer.

it won't let me to :(

Joel Strikovsky

So essentially you are saying that it doesnt matter what the licensing requirments or position of the developer is, you will do what you want.

But keep in mind that this is counter-productive. Because the least the developer is respected in thier position, the more they will do to protect thier products from being used outside of the licensing requirements.

I think you are being "counter-productive:" God love you, I don't believe you really understand anything about what you are talking about.

There are many FSX utilities designed to port FS9 software scenery and aircraft over to FSX. This has been going on for years.

FSX to P3D Migration is just another utility that ports FSX software to P3D instead of porting FS9 software to FSX.

A violation to the developer would be reverse engineering the software, or distributing it illegally.

Buying one copy of the software and using it on several flight simulators within the same computer is not a violation.

This is a wonderful utility that Paavo has put together. I'm going out buying airports now, even though I don't have FSX on my computer, because I will be using them for P3D. This translates to money for the developers because of FSX to P3D and Mr. Paavo. WIN/WIN

I don't believe you really understand anything about what you are talking about.

Yeah, what do I know...Silly me... :Whistle: