Sign in to follow this  
Javiz

Kill ATIS

Finally found time to try and fly modern airliners, very enjoyable. One thing that spoils the fun to such extend that i closed down FSX in disgust not only once is that ATIS seems to have begun a business all on its own....

Roughly on four out of five flights this ATIS message of some airport in the vicinity shows up just out of the blue and keeps repeating right thru the ATC voices. I have never found anything more annoying and irritating during my whole virtual pilot career.

I fly default FSX IFR Flightplans with default FSX ATC. Along with this annoying ATIS problem i also do not hear the ATC transmission to exit the runway anymore. As soon as i do exit the runway ATC is back with 'Contact Ground'. No problem with any other ATC transmissions.

This eratic ATIS transmission can turn up just after take-off while climbing to cruise alt, just somewhere in the middle of a flight, or during approach, which is particularly irritating ! On a few occasions i managed to kill this repeating ATIS message by just dialing in other frequenties on the comm radios but mostly this won't even work. Flight over and out !

I was wondering, does anybody have a clue what exactly is happening here and would there be an easy way to get rid of the problem ?.....

No other problem with FSX whatsoever. It runs fairly well on an i7 X980/3.33GHz, 12Gig Mem, GF GTX480.

Thanks for any tips on forehand !

Cheers,

Jan

Jan

Hello

I also never use the default ATC, like Bobby I use Radar Contact and also PFE for a change of pace.

In all my years simming I have never used anything but the FSX ATC...I wonder if I should try this product? Does RC work with P3D?

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Roughly on four out of five flights this ATIS message of some airport in the vicinity shows up just out of the blue and keeps repeating right thru the ATC voices. I have never found anything more annoying and irritating during my whole virtual pilot career.

Is this always on the same (or similar) route, and have you checked the ATIS frequency of those airports (to see if it's the same as the ATC frequency)?

If not, that combined with the other problem make it sound like something is wrong with your installation of FSX.

I love the fact ATC doesn't bug me about exiting a runway, better than half the time it was unwarranted anyway. It seems to have gone away when I used edit voice pack though and not on its own.

@ Bob and MD : i should've mentioned that i have used RC. Quite some years ago. It works fantastic, can't be compared with default ATC at all but i couldn't live with the robotic voices. Heard it's much better now when it comes to that. Checked some RC4 vids on Youtube, afraid the voices are still too robotic for my liking. On top of that i really don't want to fly without UT2 traffic.

Is this always on the same (or similar) route, and have you checked the ATIS frequency of those airports (to see if it's the same as the ATC frequency)?

Good idea! Didn't think of that yet. When it happens it annoys so much that i can't think straight anymore. Good thing i'm not a real pilot... :smile:

And no, it can happen during any flight no matter if i fly in the US or Europe.

If not, that combined with the other problem make it sound like something is wrong with your installation of FSX.

That just might be true... Remarkably it's only the ATC department that seems to be affected. If only i could just reinstall that...

I'll try and check the frequency's next time it happens. Thanks for the tip !

Cheers,

Jan

Jan

Yeah, I wouldn't be entirely sure because I don't use the default ATC too often, but I would imagine that just as radio navigational aids often seem overpowered, ATIS might be as well, resulting in conditions that would not happen in real life happening in the sim.

Unfortunately, I believe the only way to turn off the ATIS voice is to disable all voices, which would mean text-only ATC.

You probably have a frequency tuned in comm1 that is an atis for a airport in your vicinity. Simply change the freq by a digit and it should turn off.

It's the way FSX picks up the broadcast... whenever you leave the ground it will start receiving the atis - which isn't how it works in real life of course (unless you're at that airport)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

When this eratic ATIS transmission sets in i am talking to ATC so that would be the frequency tuned in Comm1, wouldn't it... It turns up just randomly, could be right in the middle of an ATC transmission. Certainly not after the frequency has been changed or anything. I have never met with this phenomenon before. And i'm flying virtual airplanes for more than 20 years now...

On the next occasion i will now carefully take notice of exactly what frequency shows up in Comm1 ( automatic frequency change is very handy but i'd rather tune it myself, would be more realistic too, wouldn't it )

Jan

Sounds like your receiving on both Com1 and Com2? Change the Com2 freq or turn Com2 off on the audio panel.

Tom

Jan,

It's the FSX default ATIS as stated above. Here is how I dealt with it:

Go to FSX sound options and uncheck the voice box.

Best Regards

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

It does sound like the audio from two radios is patched to the speaker. I normally just have COM1 patched unless I am listening for a navaid, or sometimes do want an ATIS on COM2 (or Active Sky).

scott s.

Ding ding ding.... Ryanbatcund has the correct answer.

Before the OP goes reinstalling his FSX or pulling his hair out, it is simply thr fact that the freq your radio was tuned to picked up an ATIS freq from another airport once you were out of range from the last tower or center you were tuned or talking to.

Its happened to me many times and while it may surprise you when ATIS suddenly comes on without you tuning it, just simply change the freq one click right or left and you wil be silent again. I've even had it happen when a flight first loads and the com1 just happened to be tuned to that airports ATIS freq.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It's probably just a good habit to tune the unused, and/or unanticipated standby freqs, to "parked" frequencies (118.00 for comms, 108.00 for nav, 100.00 for ADF).

As for FSX ATC, EditVoicePack 4 is an excellent alternative. It uses the default FSX voices but completely changes the phraseology to more realistic speech per FAA or ICAO procedures, and you have the option of significantly speeding up the speech to more realistic levels - very handy in busy areas.