Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

How do I edit ATC instructions?

I know I have done this before, but seem to have forgotten how: do I edit a text/doc file, or do I need to use TTools? I want to edit things so that ATC no longer gives instructions to little Cessnas (AI traffic, not my aircraft) to the effect, "You are 500 feet above your assigned altitude. Descend to flight level 550.." When I am at Mach 2 and FL550 in my trusted JustFlight Concorde, I don't want to be crashing into Cessna Skylanes!

In fact, I am sure I posted about this here a few years back (and fixed the issue - so no idea why it has resurfaced all this time later), but have brought up all my posts and cannot find it. Maybe it was lost in the AVSIM 'crash', or maybe I am going blind....

Thanks,

Martin

To edit any flight plans, you would indeed need to use TTools.

Your problem is ultimately in your traffic files (traffic bgl's). I suspect you have the wrong cruise altitudes set for certain aircraft. As you mentioned in this thread, you'll have to decompile your traffic bgl's and find the issue. Could be a lot of work, unless you know which traffic bgl contains the suspect aircraft. You can use Ttools or "AI Traffic Mover" or "yRoute" to name only a few AI editing programs.

If you want to try a very quick fix, you can use a more "relaxed" default ATC. User aircraft are affect and I think AI also.

- Annoying ATC yelling has been muted.

- Your IFR flight plan never gets cancelled.

- Acknowledge ATC when you want and never be warned to acknowledge again.

- Enjoy flying VOR to VOR or direct when able with no expedite heading warnings when off course.

- Enjoy climbing or descending at any vertical speed you wish with no warnings to expedite. (this should fix your AI expedite climb warnings).

- Deviate from your cruise flight level and not be warned by ATC (this should fix your "AI above/below your assigned altitude" warnings).

- ATC ILS heading vectors a bit crazy? Fly headings you choose that best work for you and not be warned by ATC to expedite heading change.

A definite improvement if you still use default ATC and fly IFR. If interested, PM me your email, and I'll email you the link.

RJ

I'm not sure what problem you're trying to solve. The default ATC is going to provide messages like that one. The "assigned altitude" thing is annoying, because (I think) the software does not properly account for the use of standard atmospheric pressure above 18K ft. If your problem is the Cessnas up there in the stratosphere, though, yes, there's a problem with one of your traffic files.

Both versions of FS assume globally that the transition altitude is 18,000 feet. (The 'B' key in FS to set altimeter by that standard.) 18,000 is used in FAA territories and a few other jurisdictions but most use transition altitudes anywhere from 4,000 feet up to around 8,000 feet or so. Above these transition altitudes lies the standard pressure flight level strata.

In addition depending on the flight plan type, there can be a 500 foot offset for VFR below 18,000 feet. Above 18,000 is thousands only. If an aircraft in a traffic file is assigned to 18,500 that is an error.

The product in my banner uses a table of local transition altitudes and announces altimeter settings for altitudes commanded in feet and expects the pilot to set standard altimeter pressures (29.92 in. or 1013 mb.) when altitude is commanded as a flight level. In RC if you do not set the altimeter correctly you'll get the 'not at assigned altitude' message. I've never noticed that for ai, however, as RC does communications with ai in the same flight phase and control strata.

Apparently default ATC does not ignore accuracy of ai altitude.

Another altitude assignment I think ignored by default ATC is the RSVM altitude flight direction altitudes that are now effective in most areas including the FAA ones. The is the assigned standard altitudes based on flight direction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RVSM

Many flight planners and ATC apps including RC allow enforcement options.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough - yes, my problem is solely with having little single-propped a/c supposedly up at 50,000, although the constantly repeated ATC instruction to descend or ascend becomes very tedious on longer flights - and like many, I so wish there was a way to delete the word 'expedite' from the FS vocabulary bank!!

So you found my earlier thread 3Green (and not so long ago as I thought): I wonder why I didn't see it! What is the 'more relaxed default ATC' you refer to - you don't say? Are you referring to Radar Contact? The main reason I haven't invested in RC is that, as far as I can make out, there is no ground ATC. I have been waiting for RC5 before buying, but after literally years of keen anticipation I have given up all hope that it is ever going to appear and I don't check the website any more.

So I will try editing the flight plans with TTools (and I will save the page from last year to my hard drive this time!). Using a search and replace function it shouldn't take too long: as I said, I thought I had done this once; maybe some programme has reinstalled the default file.

Thanks for the replies,

Martin

If you are being annoyed by repeated ATC calls to AI then speed the sim rate up to 8X and return it to normal.

This will cause AI to reload and hopefully you will move out of the sector containing that poor Cessna pilot trying to see the curvature of the Earth.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks - I do sometimes do that, I have the action set up on my Nostromo keypad in fact - one button pauses the sim, increases sim rate to x8, then back to x1 and unpauses the sim. The problem soon comes back again though I find.

Hi Martin

You replace the default ATC with a newer version which removes all the "expedite" ATC warnings, no this is not RC, it is a default replacement. I'm sure this will fix your problem permanently and you'll enjoy default ATC even more because the constant repeated ATC instruction to "expedite" is removed from ATC vocabulary. Even nicer, when you're handed off to the next center, you no longer have to acknowledge ATC in 3 warnings or less. You don't even have to acknowledge ATC if you don't want (like the trick when ATC hands you off to the next center, but you never contact the next center).

RJ

I never heard of a default replacement: sounds perfect! How do I get it - do you know a download link? Thanks,

Martin

Have you added traffic files beyond the default ones? Remember to de-compile all of your traffic files, if you have done that. If you've modified any of the files yourself, look there first. I don't believe the default traffic has any Cessnas up that high.

Next time you hear this, write down the call sign of the offending plane. It might be easier to search for that. Using ",550," (search with the commas on both sides, not the quotes) for your search string should also locate the offending plane. You'll get some "flight number 550" lines in the process, but you should be able to locate that altitude, as it's not going to be a common one.

Hi RJ

This "relaxed ATC" is new to me and sounds like something I'd like to have. The only mod I have ever been able to do is using VoicePackEdit that not only speeds up the rate of speech to a much more realistic level but replaces some of the phrases with more realistic ones. But the same annoying characteristics you mentioned are still there. So how do we get this default replacement my friend?

Ian

FYI:

RC does have ATC comm ground control at towered airports. If ai movement protection other than in the user landing final tower phase then ground ai are not controlled by RC 4.

In RC you can take-off and land at non-controlled airports to make this clear.

RC is for ATC enroute, departure, and approach controlled flight only. If an airport has no local approach RC will set you up to follow a proper path to joint the published approach procedure. For non-controlled airport clearance delivery RC simulates an FSS phone call and then you get ten minutes to activate your plan with ATC center in the air.

I just wanted to clarify statements made about "no ground" control for the person that commented on it.

Also, regarding a "relaxed" ATC, there is some flexibility techniques that can be used in RC. Also, RC will never cancel your flight plan but you may get nagged. Once you acknowledge a command you are expected to get your aircraft to comply within a short time limit as in real ATC busy airspace.

This is off-topic but i am just responding to comments made.

Regarding the original post, if RC sees an ai within your altitude strata window, you'll hear RC communicate with it. Just follow the recommendation to not select pre-recorded random chatter and only select Interact with ai and ai chatter options. If you are in the departure or approach phase which includes ai between the surface and the altitude before you are switched to/from center then you will hear comms to controlled ai.

Yes, I do have a lot of extra traffic files, added to 'off-the-beaten-track' airports by 3rd. party sceneries, some payware. They work fine, but of course I may have to decompile all of them to find the FL500+ culprits. May not be worth the effort - just ignore the calls.

Will almost certainly get RC v5 when it finally appears (will it ever?), but will wait till then I think.

Is this tweaked default ATC really out there? 3Green?? Can't help feeling we'd have been aware of it by now, unless someone has managed to create something very recently :-)

Thanks,

Martin

So how is "Relaxed ATC" working on those Cessna's trying to climb to FL500? Has ATC stop yelling at them yet?

Keep us posted Martin....

For anyone else using default ATC you might, you may want to check this thread out...

http://calclassic.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=4931

And with that, at a post count of 999 I officially bid you all farewell!

It's been fun, but it's time..

Call me a "Silent key" in ham lingo, and 73's to all...

RJ