Sign in to follow this  
FSMuseum

Warning Sounds - Why Can't I Hear Them?

I recently had to reinstall everythig on my computer (had to wie it due to a virus). Luckily, everything I had installed was backed up both online and on an external hard drive. I put everything back on with FSX in the same order I had done before, including my NGX and updated it to SP1c. I started a flight today and tested the warning systems: no sound at all. The fire warnings, overspeed and stall warnings, GPWS, TCAS, all of my warning sounds no longer play when needed. The sounds are installed and I've tried multiple times to make them work, nothing. They were fine before the reinstall, what can I do if anything, or do I have to attempt an uninstall then reinstall?

I have also noticed the disappearance of all switch, knob and lever sounds from FSX. It seems as though my pilots are deaf! What happened to being able to hear inside the cockpit?

FS2004 Forever

Hi Chris. When you say all of your sounds are installed, does that meen that you have checked your settings in your set-up options in your FMC?

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I have checked the FMC to make sure everything is working. All sounds are there and the volume is set to PMDG's recommended 50. I also checked where the sounds are installed to (in my case C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Sound\PMDG and then the sound folders) and everything is there, took a listen to them all, all make the right sound, but I just don't hear it in FSX when I should.

FS2004 Forever

Is there an alternative sound device which you can select in the Windows Sound Devices in the FSX sound settings?

Dugald Walker

No, I have only the speakers on my computer, which I have made sure they are set up properly

FS2004 Forever

You mention only warning sounds and switch, knob and lever sounds. Does this mean you can still hear the voices and the engine noises?

Dugald Walker

I can hear no voices, only engine noises. I also just noticed sometihng I accientally overlooked before. The FMC "Sounds" page of the Simulation setup shows 'Device = None' when it used to say 'Device = Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)' I think this is the issue and how can I fix it?

FS2004 Forever

Hi mate, do you have a headset in the USB? And double check your primary sound output. :-) I also had this "problem", the engines and all other sounds besides the ones you tell about came out of my headset (Logitech G35). So I could hear them from my headset, I unplugged the headset and all sounds were restored. ;-)

- again I don't know if this could be your problem. :-)

To your question: have you installed the drivers for your speakers? Try doing that again. :-)

Jakob

737 CL/NG skysurfer

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg2zzdi.jpg

Your speakers need to be set as the default audio playback device in windows.

In FSX, set it as the default under the audio options also.

Finally, check audio options in the CDU and see if you get the option to set the device.

I have no headset set as a sound device for Windows, and I have the latest drivers and updates. My speakers are the default playback device and it is the same for FSX, but the PMDG menu says I have no sound devices

FS2004 Forever

Hmm that is strange, maybe mr. Ryan (Tabs) can help? I would like to try helping you out, but I have to go out flying now. :-/

737 CL/NG skysurfer

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg2zzdi.jpg

Assuming you are Windows 7, what do you show in your Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers? Are there any unresolved problems there?

Dugald Walker

Ryan, you solved my problem! Once again you are my savior! Thanks a bunch guys, I'm off to hit the virtual skies once more

FS2004 Forever