Sign in to follow this  
nrcrate

Simple question for PMDG about the 777...

I have kind of been searching for an answer to this, but I have not really found anything close that has been said by a PMDG staff member.

Is it a goal, or possibility, that the 777 will maintain the same level of performance FPS wise that the NGX did? Maybe better? (Anything is possible :Thinking: )

I know the general goal is to always squeeze out as much performance while not loosing quality, and I know that the 777 obviously has a much larger cockpit. It would be amazing if PMDG can maintain the same level of performance, or even better.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

I think it would be a little bit more of a fps user because like you said it has a bigger cockpit and more detail.

i hope so, i run FSX on a laptop, with UT2, so, the NGX at the smallest of airports with the lightest traffic gets ax 23FPS....

at heathrow(i use UK200 Xtreme) evewn in the night, with nothing around, max i get is 9...

but, maybe i should just foocus on operating it rather than flying with realism in the air...

Size is irrelevant. What IS relevant, is number of polys, materials, etc. - from the graphical standpoint.

Here, the 777 is actually in advantage. Where the NGX has about four or five kinds of knobs and buttons and levers for ex. on overhead, the 777 does with one basic type of button + one knob, and the button is even much more simple in shape. Overall, the 777 cockpit is simpler, more polished. That might translate to performance advantage.

I cant talk for underlaying systems performance though.

Size is irrelevant.

I don't necessarily agree- larger cockpit = larger textures or a higher amount of textures, no? You can't have the same resolution textures like those that are in the NGX on something larger, because they will start to loose quality.

Granted, that is a very good point about the same knobs and buttons- maybe they would help enough to cancel out the effect of any other large performance degradation.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Textures... well, it depends... on many things that only Jason (or whoever models the VC) probably knows at this time. But I would not thing that the size of textures would make a noticeable difference.

The 777 cockpit, especially the overhead, is a lot simpler poly wise than the 737 is (in real life) - we're using that both to hopefully improve performance AND make it look better than the NGX does.

We do not anticipate any worse performance with it, if anything it'll be better.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Well I need to chime in here for how complex the NGX is its amazing how smooth it runs, how does an aircraft of this caliber run smoother than lets say the carenado kingair GA aircraft, whats up with that truly amazing release by the PMDG group of designers.

Rich Sennett

The 777 cockpit, especially the overhead, is a lot simpler poly wise than the 737 is (in real life) - we're using that both to hopefully improve performance AND make it look better than the NGX does.

We do not anticipate any worse performance with it, if anything it'll be better.

Thanks for the response Ryan. You guys are awesome. :good:

Well I need to chime in here for how complex the NGX is its amazing how smooth it runs, how does an aircraft of this caliber run smoother than lets say the carenado kingair GA aircraft, whats up with that truly amazing release by the PMDG group of designers.

I know- it's amazing what PMDG can do! :Party:

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Hi Yah Nick coudnt resist credit where credits due right hope all is well brother. :wink:

Rich Sennett

Sweet! I was just thinking about this today and then I read this thread.

I get awesome performance in the NGX, so the 777 should be even better!

That's great! Like some users, I use a laptop and generally get 30/35 fps with the NGX at large scenery areas. If the 777 can gain 5fps in performance that would be a great advantage. I don't know how to put this but now that fsx is out of development and we have many addons such as Rex, ngx etc to make it look eye watering, maybe we will in 2y time have some great cheap builds!

That's great! Like some users, I use a laptop and generally get 30/35 fps with the NGX at large scenery areas. If the 777 can gain 5fps in performance that would be a great advantage. I don't know how to put this but now that fsx is out of development and we have many addons such as Rex, ngx etc to make it look eye watering, maybe we will in 2y time have some great cheap builds!

I believe 5 FPS may be asking just a bit much. No one gave such a statement! Careful!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules