Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

DX10 Flashing Runways - Experimental Shader

Yes - I hear you - it's a little hard to follow, isn't it!!! :biggrin:

I'll pop the changed files on my DropBox for - it'll take a minute or two - once it's done I'll come back and edit this post, then you can just download it, then you just have to delete the cache folders.

http://dl.dropbox.co...ix/General10.fx

http://dl.dropbox.co...eneral10_v2.txt

https://dl.dropbox.c...hOptions_v2.txt

OK. Put all three in your ShadersHLSL\General folder, then delete the cache folder - then restart FSX. I assume DX10 Preview is already ticked, right?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Just changed the post a bit,- too late to edit: This is a zip of Steve's DX10 patch - the \General\general10.fx, a renamed PatchGeneral10_v2.txt, and the PatchOptions_v2.txt.

Unzip this and put all three in your ShadersHLSL\General folder, then delete the cache folder - and restart FSX.

Overall, DX10 yields better frames than DX9, with a smoother 'feel', plus I am able to run higher traffic and clouds without penalty - however there are a number of aircraft and AI aircraft + aftermarket sceneries which lose their textures. The recently-mentioned KPDX, for e.g. - the B, C and D concourse buildings are flat grey with blue roofs - not overtly noticeable, but there, nevertheless. The converted KSEA is fine. I found no issues with ORBX scenery at all thus far. The MAAM-Sim aircraft, some of the Victoria (CYYJ 2011) static aircraft are also grey. Shockwave Lights are all good. The older Carenado aircraft - the C182Q - also the Flight1 Cessna 172R are both grey. Water is great - needs some changes from the DX9 water, but no real issues - ASE and REX are also fine. It will probably help older systems.

Try it - you might like it! :smile:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Just changed the post a bit,- too late to edit: This is a zip of Steve's DX10 patch - the \General\general10.fx, a renamed PatchGeneral10_v2.txt, and the PatchOptions_v2.txt.

Unzip this and put all three in your ShadersHLSL\General folder, then delete the cache folder - and restart FSX.

Overall, DX10 yields better frames than DX9, with a smoother 'feel', plus I am able to run higher traffic and clouds without penalty - however there are a number of aircraft and AI aircraft + aftermarket sceneries which lose their textures. The recently-mentioned KPDX, for e.g. - the B, C and D concourse buildings are flat grey with blue roofs - not overtly noticeable, but there, nevertheless. The converted KSEA is fine. I found no issues with ORBX scenery at all thus far. The MAAM-Sim aircraft, some of the Victoria (CYYJ 2011) static aircraft are also grey. Shockwave Lights are all good. The older Carenado aircraft - the C182Q - also the Flight1 Cessna 172R are both grey. Water is great - needs some changes from the DX9 water, but no real issues - ASE and REX are also fine. It will probably help older systems.

I noticed that in Dx10 mode with WOAI aircraft. But, they seem to be fine as long as they are not active...If they are not actually moving, I can see the textures. Anyone know what's up with that?

Hmm. Can't help you, RB, but there don't appear to be any probs with MTX - at least - the latest 5.4a.. I reckon if there are a few things left that don't get fixed - it will still grow stronger as a different - maybe better sim. The biggest issue was flashing runways/textures, fences and gate direction arrows, and Steve has fixed them. Right now he's working on the default lights, as some default aircraft do have problems.

Steve's blog:- http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/ All you ever wanted to know about BufferPools....

I reckon if there are a few things left that don't get fixed - it will still grow stronger as a different - maybe better sim.

I certainly hope so! I was looking forward to MS Flight, and then I tried it out.... :Cry:

For anybody wanting to try this DX10 Fix, i recomend using this set of instructions, its the only one where you dont need to edit a file and simple.

My last 2 attempts using previous instructions failed cause i might have messed something up.

I do get red progressive taxi though, looks ok, but would also like to know if possible how to get the original yellow 3d progressive taxi back. But not a big deal considering DX10 is now an option.

Thanks to the guy who gave us this fix.

I do get red progressive taxi though, looks ok, but would also like to know if possible how to get the original yellow 3d progressive taxi back. But not a big deal considering DX10 is now an option.

Thanks to the guy who gave us this fix.

I'm glad it works for you!

No - I think Steve said it needs a different texture and to correct that would take him away from other areas of the sim that might be of more significance.

later I'll go back to DX10

I want to get good performance! on my hardware! please help)

me use DX9 or DX10?

IFursov,

Please start a thread looking for help in the hardware forum in the video card section. This is not the proper thread nor the appropriate forum. I'm deleting your DX9 question.

Kind regards,

You're correct, sir! :sad: I checked that this very evening, and I can confirm it, but I don't know of an alternate bloom, only the FSX bloom - and I haven't even tried that! Tomorrow.

Not daft at all :-) but it is hard to say with Orbx scenery. Lightpole autogen seems to be annotaded on bright spots "painted" on the texture so I can't be sure if the light illuminates anything or not. When I put a plane beneath a light pole, it isn''t illuminated, which is probably normal.

What I can confirm is that the lights will flash on or off depending on the angle you look at them (probably the same problem as the navlights ?)

I have tried this DX10 fix with great results except for the street lights and AI aircraft landing lights flashing on and off randomly as experienced by Jean-Paul. There is a noticeable improvement in performance, especially smoothness, even on my old system. If the problem with the flashing street lights could be resolved, DX10 would finally be completely viable. As it stands now, I will probably just use it for daytime flights as the flashing lights are quite annoying. That is unfortunate, as the bloom effect looks great at night.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

This is my intention, too, Martin. The odd, small thing happening here and there, is not disconcerting enough to 'not use DX10' any more. FSX and FS9 always had some small irritant or other, and now that has almost disappeared. I can live with anything else that still exists - I mean - we still live with FSX ATC, right! :LMAO:

This is my intention, too, Martin. The odd, small thing happening here and there, is not disconcerting enough to 'not use DX10' any more. FSX and FS9 always had some small irritant or other, and now that has almost disappeared. I can live with anything else that still exists - I mean - we still live with FSX ATC, right! :LMAO:

So true! I still remember this one time FSX atc told me that I had a traffic alert, two o clock. Thirty seconds later, it practically told me to fly into a plane....... :Just Kidding:

I have uploaded a version to the Avsim library to save people searching through this thread.

I have numbered it 1.3 but its the same as 1.2 with a new installation script that (hopefully) automates the process by applying the necessary edits and forcing a shader rebuild.

I will post again when I hear that it is available for download from the library.

Hopefully at that point one of the mods can assist by altering the initial post to direct readers to the library download.