Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

DX10 Flashing Runways - Experimental Shader

Mark,

If you have the same issues with the original fsx shader then the problem must surely then be a dx10 issue in your system? You could try updating drivers, etc etc, winding back OCs etc. But I think I would be tempted to just go back to dx9!

Steve

Just a thought reflecting on Mark's posts and also wildheart's

Before trying these patches it would be a good idea to try out DX10 mode and take a couple of test flights to set a reference point.

Check if DX10 runs smoothly in a stable manner, whether your favourite aircraft works and whether the AA level is acceptable.

The patches only change some (jarring) visual artifacts at airfields - they shouldnt in my view change the DX10 flying experience at all either in a positive or negative way.

If DX10 isn't stable then stick with DX9 or try and address it - but bear in mind that the effort may not really be worth it.

All I can really suggest is to update your drivers and try removing any GPU OC's. On my computer it takes the GPU 2/3 of the time to render a frame in DX10 versus DX9 (some of which is down to a lower AA level mind!) I could theorise that whilst presenting a frame in DX10 mode that the GPU is operating with a greater degree of parallelism and so is somewhat less forgiving of OCs (but thats just a guess!). Anyway it should be faster than DX9 without the OC.

Just a quick off topic question.. we know that AA is not working in DX10 (through nvInspector), how about AF?

Do we?

The only difference I see is an increase in frame rate using DX10.

Here are a couple of shots of an FS9 model running in DX9 and DX10.

DX9:

seakingdx9.jpg

DX10:

seakingdx10.jpg

Yeah same here, I don't have any nasty jagged edges in DX10.

Do we?

So DX10 AA is working through nvInspector? That's a new one..

As far as I know in DX10 only in-game AA is working and that's only 2x. So you still get some jagged esges depending of the viewing angle and a lot of shimmering. No?

My question was how about AF?

Hi Steve, thx for taking the time to resolve the dx10 issue. Last night I spent 4 hours trying to figure out what is the cause. Everything work fine except the pauses. Dx10 is causing the fps misbehave strangely when flying over heavy urban area. No matter what internal fps I use while having NI setting at half refresh rate or even force vsync on. The fps could fluctuate from 38 to 1. I think it pauses and go into window mode when the fps reaching 0 perhaps. Revert back to dx9 and is all steady.

My driver is all up to date. Not try the OC thinggy yet. But will give it a go tonight.

Regards.

Tony

P.s. don't know how ppl can get as much as 200+ fps

Something else to play with. I did some further testing with Nvidia Inspector and noticed that FXAA works in DX10 preview mode.

On my screen, it looks slightly worse than the internal FSX 2x AA (dont forget to untick it in FSX when trying FXAA as it has an influence on FPS) but performance is better (in a given situation, I get 69 fps with FSX 2xAA, 94 with FXAA).

@ Steve : progressive taxi works fine with your latest update :smile:

@ Tomaz : internal FSX AF works but couldn't improve it through NI

Update : tried again with complex scenery (Orbx airport + Realair Lancair)

DX9 8xS combined - 16 x AF : +/- 34

DX10 FSX 2xAA - FSX AF : +/- 50

DX10 FXAA - FSX AF : +/- 50

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Well I'm not sure what everyone else is doing to get VSync 1/2 to work in DX10, but for me it refuses to work and I get horrible stuttering at times during flights.

I've gone back to DX9 where everything is a smooth 30 fps no matter where I am or what I'm flying.

It was worth a shot though!

Lucevan

I have examined lots of cars at all time sof the day and cannot find a problem - other than a small line above the bonnet (hood?)

I haven't figured out posting images here yet so I have stuffed some screenshots on my blog here

http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/06/14/outstanding-dx10-issues/

Do they look like the ones you have seen go wrong?

Steve

Steve,

I just wanted to comment your fix works perfectly for the hardware listed in my sig :)

I didn't see a tremendous increase in FPS, but the visual quality (aside from low AA) is worth it if you have Bloom, and full aircraft shadows on.

DX10 is not perfect, of course, but it's nice that users now have the option to play around with it whereas it was pretty substandard without

tweaks like yours and others.

The interesting thing to note is when using DX10, the fan on my aging 4870x2 spools up, but running in DX9 it's barely audible. So, DX10

is at least, shifting some of the graphics load to the GPU where it should have been along alone when FSX was being developed.

Anyway, thank you, and keep up the great work!

Mr cryogenic!

Thanks for posting. Thats a very interesting observation about your fan. I think it does use the card more hence my suggestion about removing overclocks for the guys with strange issues. When I installed my new card recently I initially overclocked it and i am sort of sure that i then saw strange pauses and that i only saw them in dx10 but it's hard to be certain in retrospect as i then set it back to stock!

Steve

Steve

One place with the car headlight problem in DX10 is the Orbx freeware airport Vashon. This is the sort of thing.

missinglights.jpg

Just wanted to let you know that you have another DX10 convert here, Steve. This is a spectacular piece of research and programming! Well done! Everything works perfectly, and with the additional frames I can load even more "stuff". She will now hold a very solid 29.9/30 over KSEA (FlyTampa conversion) without any dips, Milviz B55, 1500 feet, 160 kts, full IFR (REXEss 2048 Textures) weather, 39/39 AI & GA, with 10% road; AG and SC full; LOD 4.5. Water 2X High, BP=0, FFTF = .1

I'm running with the 1/2 vsync rate, but I didn't untick the 30fps in the sim (as Jean-Paul suggested above): maybe I'll try that later. I normally get moderate dips to 25/6 with DX9, so this + FSAA and 4xSGSS (for shimmering) has definitely fixed my DX10 issues while yielding more functionality.

@Jean-Paul: I'd be really interested to see your fsx config and your NI settings. I haven't seen or heard of anyone who can get 50 fps with a proc running at 3.8 gig. There are hundreds of simmers that have - as I have - a very hot system - yet we can kill frames quite easily with it set. What's the secret?? :smile:

Note (Lucevan posted after I started this post) - I see normal headlights on the freeways - I tested at KORS - to KSEA, t & G at Arlington, and didn't notice anything. Is this only at Vashon, or at all the OrbX airfields?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.