Sign in to follow this  
aputech

Airplane Glitch--permanent(?) 2 deg. bank.

I recently rediscovered a freeware Piper Cherokee Warrior II I'd installed in FSX about a year ago, and decided to fly it today from KPSP to KSLC. I was very happy with its performance because it "felt" very similar to one of the Piper Cherokee Warriors I trained in, and it behaved accordingly. Unfortunately it has a 2 degree bank to the right that I can't correct. Ground taxiing is a bit bothersome because the airplane insists on veering to starboard with even a little throttle power. Opposite rudder counters the yaw, but not the roll/bank.When AP is activated she flies straight ahead and on heading, but not "true"; she still has that 2 degree bank, and if I look out of my port side I can see that the port aileron is slightly deflected downward, and my attitude indicator shows the same 2 degree bank. Is there a setting in its aircraft.cfg I can tweak to correct this? The airplane's file name is Warrior_II.zip, and I believe it's available on several good websites. Some advice on this would be appreciated; she flies better than the payware Cherokee Warrior I have, and I'd like to make her one of my "regular-use" planes to tool around in.

Thanks,

aputech

FSIUPC has an aileron trim set in its Joystick Calibration section. You might give that a try.

I recently rediscovered a freeware Piper Cherokee Warrior II I'd installed in FSX about a year ago, and decided to fly it today from KPSP to KSLC. I was very happy with its performance because it "felt" very similar to one of the Piper Cherokee Warriors I trained in, and it behaved accordingly. Unfortunately it has a 2 degree bank to the right that I can't correct. Ground taxiing is a bit bothersome because the airplane insists on veering to starboard with even a little throttle power. Opposite rudder counters the yaw, but not the roll/bank.When AP is activated she flies straight ahead and on heading, but not "true"; she still has that 2 degree bank, and if I look out of my port side I can see that the port aileron is slightly deflected downward, and my attitude indicator shows the same 2 degree bank. Is there a setting in its aircraft.cfg I can tweak to correct this? The airplane's file name is Warrior_II.zip, and I believe it's available on several good websites. Some advice on this would be appreciated; she flies better than the payware Cherokee Warrior I have, and I'd like to make her one of my "regular-use" planes to tool around in.

Thanks,

aputech

You should have read the readme.txt all the way through :)

About the P-effect:

I placed the engine slightly to the right of the midline in the flight dynamics to simulate the P-factor:

In the real aircraft the propeller turns clockwise as seen from the pilot's seat.

Therefore, the propwash will take a spiraling trajectory along the fuselage. It will collide with the vertical fin, pushing it to the right,

thus causing the aircraft to turn left.

Moreover, a propeller blade that goes down will generate more thrust than one going upward because the former will have a higher speed

with respect to the air and will have a larger angle-of-attack, caused by the propeller axis being more pitch-up than the aircraft path.

This, too, adds to a tendency to turn left.

And...

Still, if you don't like the P-factor, open aircraft.cfg, find

[GeneralEngineData]

engine_type= 0

Engine.0= 4.000, 0.800, 0.000

fuel_flow_scalar= 1.000

min_throttle_limit=0.000000

and change it to read

[GeneralEngineData]

engine_type= 0

Engine.0= 4.000, 0.000, 0.000

fuel_flow_scalar= 1.000

Edit:

Looks like setting the 'x' offset to 0 really messes up the rudder response, also the numbers in the readme don't match the actual values in the .cfg, I found these settings pretty much get rid of p-factor, there will be some still there but it's minor as not to be noticed.

[GeneralEngineData]

engine_type= 0

Engine.0= 7.000, 0.001, 0.000

fuel_flow_scalar= 0.800

Alternatively, if you'd like a level of p-factor that is consistant with other aircraft in FSX, this seems to work well:

[GeneralEngineData]

engine_type= 0

Engine.0= 7.000, 0.100, 0.000

fuel_flow_scalar= 0.800

NikkiA, thank you so much for pointing out the info in the readme file. Problem is solved. im%20Not%20Worthy.gif I'm ADHD, and sometimes, as in this case, it can be rather annoying; had I exercised control over my excitement (and the resulting impatience) in finding a near-perfect FSX model of a Cherokee Warrior II, I would've read through the entire readme, made the necessary changes, and been as happy as a lark. But I was ecstatic! Couldn't wait! Again, thank you so much. The interesting thing is, when I fly real-world, distraction and impatience are all but non-existent; I live in the moment, and relish every second of it--even on hot days, waiting in the queue, passenger door open, a silly smile on my sweating mug.

The P-factor in Rien Cornelissen's Warrior II model was just slightly over what I was used to real-world, but not by much. He really did an exemplary job on that Piper. It's the only aircraft in FSX that I tried out and knew instantly, yeah, this is right. This is just right. No other airplane in my FSX does that for me, and I have all of the airplanes in FSX that I'm checked out in, in real life. It's ironic that my best-modeled airplane is freeware. It's not as pretty as the others, but she sure flies the way she's supposed to.

NikkiA, you've reminded me of the value of patience, and I appreciate it. You have no idea how happy I am, being able to tool around my old "stomping grounds" in a little Cherokee Warrior II that handles like the real thing, using my first pilot logbook as a destination guide. Today it'll be Salt Lake City Int'l to Great Falls.

Thank you, NikkiA,

aputech