Sign in to follow this  
Chrisv007

CPFlight MCP-EFIS and the NGX

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share with you that if you are looking for some hardware for your sim to use with the NGX, the CPFlight MCP and EFIS is the way to go. I got mine a few days ago and Wow! What a difference it make both on the realism factor and the ease of piloting. There was a thread about how difficult it was to set DH with higher altitude airpports, well that solved the issue completely. Turning the knob instead of holding the mouse button forever is alot easyer. I can also confirm that doing approaches with vectors from ATC has gotten alot easyer and faster. Just these 2 peices of hardware changed the whole experience for me.

I did my first flight with the units last night (short hop from CYOW to KBOS). I have nothing negative to say about the experience. The backlighting of the units along with the one from my keyboard was simply a joy to look at. Anyhow, I strongly recommend these products! :Party:

Do you use the EL or PRO series MCP? Sounds awesome!

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I actualy bought the older RS232 model (used) hooked up through a USB to RS232 adapter. It's the 85% scale model (will be replaced by the EL model when I finish my MIP). It looks just like the newer EL model except a tad bit smaller.

I can tell you right away that I will NEVER go back to using my mouse LOL. It not only sounds awsome...It is!

Whiles i'm working on my MIP, I'm also planning on purchasing the pedestal units from them staring with the VHF module. All other modules connect to the MCP so it was only logical to start with that module. The plan is to get to a point where I dont use my mouse at all.

+1 on the CPFlight gear (www.cpflight.com). I bought the MCP-EL + the EFIS-EL control panel, both 100% scale replicas. Very high quality build, the CPFlight folks are easy to deal with, but support is only through email - there is no active forum.

I previously had the GF MCP-PRO, sold it on eBay. Although no longer a factor, with the GF driver issues earlier, I went looking for alternatives. Glad I found CPFlight. I still have and use 7 other GF modules, but may gradually replace them.

Although generally pricier than GF, the combined CPFlight MCP (EL) + EFIS (EL), are actually not much more than the GF MCP-PRO + EFIS together, and substantially superior in every way.

mcp737el_413x77.jpg

efis737el_thumb.jpg

The CPFlight "PRO" models are even snazzier, but at about twice the price too rich for me.

Any questions, just ask.

* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

It's a great joy to use the CPFlight MCP and EFIS EL.

I did build it in an aluminum frame just under the middle monitor.

TIP: most MCP functions work with Carenado too. Just bought the King Air C90B

Autopilot - Heading Altitude in conjunction with V/S.

Frans

Frans Dekker / IVAO SPP / AFR074

I'm planning to get a CP Flight MCP + EFIS, but I'm really put off by the 500 Euro (twice the price) difference of the MCP Pro Vs the EL -- with that price I can get the EFIS and mounting bracket and cover the cost of shipping.

Is the solenoid switch, and more realistic buttons worth the extra 500? I just don't want to make a purchasing decision I will regret later down the line.

In terms of the NGX; what is the difference between the honeywell and the collins? Failed Ops?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I've had the CPFlight MCP USB and the EFIS unit for a few years and they are indeed marvellous. Of course, they are scaled down replicas of the 737 MCP but they work with basically every aircraft that uses the default MS autopilot. It also works well with iFly 737, PMDG 747 and LevelD but not (at least when I last tried) with Maddog MD82 or DA Fokker. What I find most useful is that it relieves you of finding that exact spot to turn dials like heading, course, VS and altitude especially since I always fly with TrackIR.

I'd also like to exchange my three Goflight radio unitsf or the CP Flight ones, but it's a bit too much money since it doesn't add any functionality, just good looks!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Hi everyone,

i have a problem with my mcp/efis RS 232.

i start the fsx, choose the pmdg, start the flight, and then start the driver from the mcp.

sometimes the mcp started okay, but most the mcp shows me the green lights of the knops (lnav,vor loc,app, cmd b, cws b B)) and the speed button and display doesn't function.So i only uses the heading and the altitude.

i have downloaded the latest driver.

can someone help me to solve the problem?

Greetings

Joachim

Regards Joachim

I'll take the opportunity to also praise the cpflight hardware, I have the USB model of the EFIS and MCP and they are really great. I had a few issues with their driver but since cpflight are kind enough to document the communication protocol I wrote my own driver (for the NGX). I don't know if it has changed lately but their driver had to be started manually by fiddling in the FSX menus every flight, which really annoyed me, and it kept getting out of sync with the NGX from time to time.

I think I may go ahead with the MCP EL and the EFIS PRO.

I've had a chat with the fellows over at CP Flight and there doesn't seem to be any compatible issues.

OPUS also has built in support for the MCP/EFIS, which is great.

I've been looking at these for ages but have not come to a decision yet. Reading the manuals Goflight MCP looks more plug&play then CPflights?

I think CP Flight is a good way to go because it will allow you to expand your cockpit with their plug in system.

They bring out some good radios as well; I have one of their NAV panels (bought 2nd hand), and still unused because it requires the MCP to operate. 

The quality of the panels is outstanding.