Sign in to follow this  
joherszch

REX SimAir revealed

I heard of another one "Air Hauler" that has been out for some time, never used it, but wonder how close they are feature wise?

I think FSCaptain also offers something in that regime However, nice reading about some more details on the new product.

Not out yet, and I will bet any money that it will be a subscription based product.

I hope your assumption is wrong, although it might make sense. I've got an aversion towards subscriptions I guess. :mellow:

That does look good. Subscription is ok of it's like $2 a month or something. Thing is they need a large player base to make the "world" interesting so I don't think they would charge too much if it's subscription.

Otherwise they may give the first 3 months free to entice people in and populate the world?

Will have to wait and see.

I can't really see why anyone would use this over VATSIM/IVAO - and if there's a fee it most definitely isn't going to get anywhere near the size of VATSIM or IVAO; which as far as I can see would make it rather redundant.

Just to add to my posting. The subscription thing was an assumption from MrSpeaker so far. He has made it clear of course, but some speed reading may lead to the impression that it is more. :huh:

Just to add to my posting. The subscription thing was an assumption from MrSpeaker so far. He has made it clear of course, but some speed reading may lead to the impression that it is more. :huh:

It's an assumption but more likely than not that there's some fee involved.

I think it might do well. Seems like an amalgamation of numerous other products such as FS Passengers, FSCaptain, Airline Mogul, Cargo Pilot, Airline Pilot, Air Hauler and African Airstrip Adventures. Which is a lot of stuff. No doubt it is the next step for VAs seeking more presence, which all currently operate pretty much in isolation from one another, and it would bring an interesting element of realism to those. I don't see how it would in any way conflict with either VATSIM, IVAO, Radar Contact or any of the other ATC options you have for FS, since it isn't about ATC in a lot of ways, although the gate delay feature of course might impact on that a little.

I'm quite a fan of all the aforementioned add-ons it seems to draw inspiration from, especially Air Hauler and AAA, although I should think they will have to be careful to avoid the trap which Air Hauler sails very close to, i.e. that of making it too much like a real job in terms of micromanagement; AH just about gets away with that, so the scalability and control options will have to be similarly many and varied if it is to suit a lot of players. AAA manages to keep you in the cockpit bush flying and lets the business end of things more or less take care of itself apart from the fueling and the odd bit of maintenance, which is enough for most people, so if it can offer that as well as more complex involvement, they could be on to a winner.

It would almost certainly have to be subscription based to be viable, since unlike FTP games such as Guild Wars and STO, which thrive on a high entry price before one gets to the FTP server, plus the regular release of further 'mission disks' and expansions, it would pretty much have to come complete from the off. The the cost of servers for tracking league data would have to see some regular revenue stream unless it does it via a connection which updates the client end (as AH more or less does), although I think the bog standard MMO monthly price of about a tenner might put simmers off, since they are not generally used to having to pay to play, thus two quid or so might be more palatable.

Lots of potential though. I will be looking at this one with interest, since my own Air Hauler VA is something I enjoy playing with and which has managed to hold my interest for literally years.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I think it might do well. Seems like an amalgamation of numerous other products such as FS Passengers, FSCaptain, Airline Mogul, Cargo Pilot, Airline Pilot, Air Hauler and African Airstrip Adventures. Which is a lot of stuff. No doubt it is the next step for VAs seeking more presence, which all currently operate pretty much in isolation from one another, and it would bring an interesting element of realism to those. I don't see how it would in any way conflict with either VATSIM, IVAO, Radar Contact or any of the other ATC options you have for FS, since it isn't about ATC in a lot of ways, although the gate delay feature of course might impact on that a little.

I'm quite a fan of all the aforementioned add-ons it seems to draw inspiration from, especially Air Hauler and AAA, although I should think they will have to be careful to avoid the trap which Air Hauler sails very close to, i.e. that of making it too much like a real job in terms of micromanagement; AH just about gets away with that, so the scalability and control options will have to be similarly many and varied if it is to suit a lot of players. AAA manages to keep you in the cockpit bush flying and lets the business end of things more or less take care of itself apart from the fueling and the odd bit of maintenance, which is enough for most people, so if it can offer that as well as more complex involvement, they could be on to a winner.

It would almost certainly have to be subscription based to be viable, since unlike FTP games such as Guild Wars and STO, which thrive on a high entry price before one gets to the FTP server, plus the regular release of further 'mission disks' and expansions, it would pretty much have to come complete from the off. The the cost of servers for tracking league data would have to see some regular revenue stream unless it does it via a connection which updates the client end (as AH more or less does), although I think the bog standard MMO monthly price of about a tenner might put simmers off, since they are not generally used to having to pay to play, thus two quid or so might be more palatable.

Lots of potential though. I will be looking at this one with interest, since my own Air Hauler VA is something I enjoy playing with and which has managed to hold my interest for literally years.

Al

" It brings the reality of massive multi-player online simulation to Flight Simulator."

Gives me the impression it will connect to something in FSX multiplayer and hence you wouldn't be able to use VATSIM/IVAO.

Yup, but as I say, at this point we don't know that's the case, and frankly, if something is attempting to attract those who like online stuff, precluding the use of online ATC would not be the ideal way to attract people. Then again, if it attempts to create a more amenable alternative to the several online ATC services, which are prevented from unifying because of some of the egos at work in the competing offerings, then it might even serve as the long-overdue olive branch.

I don't know if any of this is or will be the case, with so little information to go off other than a broad sketch of the product's features, we are all speculating at this point.

Al

Alan Bradbury

I can't really see why anyone would use this over VATSIM/IVAO - and if there's a fee it most definitely isn't going to get anywhere near the size of VATSIM or IVAO; which as far as I can see would make it rather redundant.

Have you guys ever heard of a multiplayer game called airline sim, I think this what simair is shaping up to be, except you can actually integrate flying fs9 or fsx with it. The Multiplayer portion of simair has nothing to do with flying online with Vatsim/Ivao, it has to do with creating and managing an airline and competing with others doing the same thing in a community, at least this is my first impression. Anyways Im excited, I always wanted to do something like airline sim but didn't because it had nothing to do with MSFS, simair will combine both these worlds

If this actually works along with VATSIM/IVAO then I think it's a great product for pilots wanting more realism if or if it doesn't have a sub fee.

If this is separate from VATSIM and on it's own network, then I'm against it. We don't need any more sharding of the flightsim community then we already have with VATSIM vs IVAO.

Yup, there are quite a few airline sims out there, some are standalone, others link with FS, but the market penetration which REX Game Studios has, is the one thing which most of the other developers who have had a stab at such things have not brought to the equation. That could be the difference for this one; there are a lot of people who are already REX customers, so getting this one publicised with flight simmers is going to be a crapload easier for REX than it has been for all the other efforts in this arena.

Al

Alan Bradbury

This looks to have some cool potential. Ill definitley watch it closely would add a lot to flight sim if done right. Would definitley have to play nice with VATSIM however or would be a no go right away.

If this actually works along with VATSIM/IVAO then I think it's a great product for pilots wanting more realism if or if it doesn't have a sub fee.

If this is separate from VATSIM and on it's own network, then I'm against it. We don't need any more sharding of the flightsim community then we already have with VATSIM vs IVAO.

+1. Looks like you create your own "sim airline" to compete against others. So this might actually compete with virtual airlines as well.

Eric