Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Starting to get the hang of WED

The last few days, I spend some time with WED. I choose to just modify some existing scenery first, just to get the hang of it. I thought that would be easier to learn WED, if I start off small, So having just purchased Aerosoft's Zurich and Lugano scenery, I was a little disapointed that the airport looked like Post WW3. So my first test using WED is to populate those two scenery packages with Static planes. Yea, I know static planes and not as good as Dynamic AI, but until we have a decent AI system for XPX, this seems the best way to go right now.

My next thing is to build a whole airport from scratch. Im going to start with my hometown airport, since Im familiar with it.

Im having a lot of fun with this!

This what Ive come up with so far for Zurich and Lugano. These 2 files are available at the .org is anyone whats to try them out.

Rob

3-8.jpg

2-25.jpg

1-8.jpg

1-7.jpg

That's cool Rob. So now it looks like the day before! Stop it now before you catch the scenery 'bug'!

Hi Rob,

Just installed your two static aircraft files and made two legs, LSZH-LSZA and back. I must say your work is exellent, I think you even might have saved Aerosoft's Zurich scenery. At least I decided not to buy Zurich because of it's emptyness until i came across your files through the x-plane blog. I purchased it and with your files the airport is abolutely briljant! Aerosoft did a fantastic job modelling the airport.

One remark though for Lugano; there are a few Saabs in the way when taxiing to the parking.....

Are you planning to do this for schiphol amsterdam as well?

Thanks again for your great work.

Regards,

Lizz

Hi Lizz

Thanks for the comments. I had a lot of fun creating these, so Im sure ill do more. Im planning on doing Keflavik and amsterdam next, maybe a few more. It all depends on how much free time my wife gives me (lol). Stupid home improvement stuff always gets in the way.

Lugano was a little tricky because I was trying to get the planes placed so that the AI doesnt taxi through them. Thats why the 2 saabs or pushed over a little. Ill adjust it a little and upload a new version. I wish I knew a way to adjust where the Ai can taxi. I anyone knows, Id love find out.

Rob

That last picture nearly had me fooled it wasn't a photo. Looks great color and shading and all. Great job, now only if Austin gets the AI working like a top with traffic tables and actual flight plans, we might have a really awesome en-route AND aerodrome simulation. Without effective traffic, there's not much chance of getting a realistic 1/2 punch from the AI. A 737 at a GA field or the like just doesn't do it for me.

I was watching the ai traffic last night at EGFF (cardiff) and a 737 that was on final fro rwy 30 was coing down the ILS, very nice until it landed in the bristol Channel and proceeded to battle it's way through the waves still on final approach to EGFF. I't didn't make it up the 220 ft cliff to the runway but it was very funny watching it try.

If you fancy having a go at converting Gary Summons EGFF Extreme I will love you forever. I have tried but the editing and tidying up just makes it to hard to finish. I need to spend more time with WED i think.

Wycliffe

This what Ive come up with so far for Zurich and Lugano. These 2 files are available at the .org is anyone whats to try them out.

1-8.jpg

Nice Rob, looks a lot more lively.

But why did you mirror the KLM logo on the tail? :wink:

Nice Rob, looks a lot more lively.

But why did you mirror the KLM logo on the tail? :wink:

Hi,

Thanks,

These static planes are part of OpensceneryX, I didnt make them, just placed them there based on photos I could find off the net.

Rob