Sign in to follow this  
Kerberos42

Which of you simmers was at the controls of this 767?

Wow, heavy handed landing! What do you think it would take to make this plane airworthy again?

Kind regards,

For me, that would be a good landing. At least the pilot got it to stay on the ground.

John

More serious damage has been fixed and put back into service. I guess it's up to the insurers. This particular aircraft is only 9 years old, so I suppose it depends on how much useful life it has left vs the repair costs.

Wowwwww..... thats gotta take some force to bend the fuselage like that. thanks for sharing :)

edit - ##### was goin on in that 777 landing? cross winds? too much air-speed for flair?

Dean Stringer

Damn that's a bad landing, but, in fairness it may be in part due to wind sheer, of which there is a lot at many Japanese airports.

With regard to fixing it. The keel and floor beams will have to be inspected to see if if they have been damaged. They are usually made from 7075 alloy, which in addition to aluminium, has a lot of zinc in it to help give it resistance against cracking and stress-induced corrosion. But its mechanical strength (ably demonstrated in the Aloha Airlines Flight 243 incident where the entire roof of the cabin blew off and the floor still held the aircraft together) is in fact what probably allowed the force of the nosewheel hitting the ground hard to be transmitted along the stringers, which are also made from 7075.

If that happens, the skin panels - typically 2024 alloy, which is a mixture of aluminium and copper - will easily bend in between the ribs, because panels are designed to have a lot of give in them for when the aircraft is presurised and depressurised. So the damage may in fact be not as bad as it looks providing all the other bits have their bonding and other fixings intact, in which case a bit of reskinning might be all that is needed. Not cheap to do of course, but certainly economically possible on a multi-million Dollar aeroplane with probably ten years of service life left in it, so long as nothing else shows up any problems when they get the ultraviolet lights and ultrasonic probes out, and have a good poke around under the floors and behind the cabin interior panels.

But it would certainly have to have a transparently obvious quality repair job done on it, because of course the Japanese know only too well what can happen if a half-assed repair takes place, since that was the cause of the crash of JAL 123, a Boeing 747. In which a poor repair on the rear pressure bulkhead of that ill-fated 747, following a tail strike, failed some years after the repair was made, and blew the entire tail off the aircraft whilst it was in flight.

That is still the worst single airliner accident in history, with 520 fatalities. Ironically enough, it was what actually led to the growth of ANA, and they will be mindful of that, and the Japanese public will too, since they even have an exhibition centre dedicated to the crash of JAL 123, and one of its primary purposes, is to promote good standards in aircraft repair.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Damn that's a bad landing, but, in fairness it may be in part due to wind sheer, of which there is a lot at many Japanese airports.

I'd be inclined to agree. Though the smoke after touch down isn't moving that quickly, it's definitely being affected by wind.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Holy crap! Did Alan just swear?

Ouch....and impressive how tough those airframes are. True the Pacific Winds can be unpredictable at times, I have to live with them as Wellington is called the windiest capital in the world (but truth is most Pacific cities are windy).

Cheers

Matthew Kane

I'd be inclined to agree. Though the smoke after touch down isn't moving that quickly, it's definitely being affected by wind.

True, but the wind sheer could've occurred a good few seconds prior to TD, and that would've been enough to put the entire landing off for the pilot.

Holy crap! Did Alan just swear?

You have obviously never met me in real life LOL I swear like a trooper most of the time.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Winds were gusting to 44 knots on landing....

Winds were probably gusting to 100 knots in the passenger cabin :LMAO:

Al

Alan Bradbury