Sign in to follow this  
Nathan3219

"This addon" versus "that addon" threads

I went and read lots of this vs that threads and it's time for a little fun and levity not directed at anyone, but just a general tongue-in-cheek observation.

Let's say you got 4 pieces of paper and wrote PMDG, Captain Sim, Level-D and Majestic on them and put them in a hat. Then you built an addon with 3 verifiable bugs and drew one of the names out of the hat to see who gets to release it. It doesn't matter what the bugs are. Let's just say they are fairly obvious, but they don't detract too much from your abillity to fly and enjoy the plane. Depending on who gets to release it the thread might go something like this: Remember its the same addon regardless of who releases it.

PMDG release - Another spectacular addon that "raises the bar" for future addons. There are 3 small issues, but given the perfection of the systems programming and the spectacular VC, one should expect minor issues such as these. They might be due to "FSX limitations" anyway.

Captain Sim release - Beautiful to look at, but these 3 major issues show that once again Captain Sim's focus on eye-candy results in sloppy systems work and again we have an addon that will look great while it collects dust in your hanger.

Level-D release - any mention of the 3 bugs results is akin to suggesting that Kurt Cobain had little influence on the Seattle rock music scene.

Majestic release - Universally praised and recommended, but then you never hear any more about it.

Go read some of the historical threads and you'll see some interesting group dynamics at work among the different developer fan bases.

I was going to start a rival 'this add on vs that add on' thread to yours, so that people could also argue about which 'this vs that' thread was the more authentic one :LMAO:

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hahaha, spot on, guys. :LMAO: I just wanted to drop that I think that this addon is way better than that addon. Haters gonna hate.

Must admit, I would love to expand Nathan's list. Superb work on the devs already mentioned though. Huge thumbs up on the humour. Keep em coming.

LOL, right on! The only thing is, you forgot (staying in jester mode, of course):

Carendo release - OMG, it's like sitting in the real thing...can't wait for some user to tweak it flyable!

Wilco release - "Pffft...too bad FeelThere can't get their act together!

FeelThere release - hey, that's not so bad for a Wilco release!

RealAir release - OMG...we're not worthy!!im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Anyone who's been around long enough to have a sense of FS history knows that each of these devs have earned their reputations - for better or worse.

Abacus - another masterpiece, and I'm sure they'll have the remaining tiny details sorted out shortly.

Aerosoft - Looks pretty, no systems fidelity whatsoever.

Anyone who's been around long enough to have a sense of FS history knows that each of these devs have earned their reputations - for better or worse.

The only ones really deserving their reputations is Abacus. I really like my PMDG but also my QW sim, and my Simcheck...I didn't really like the LevelD 767...and the status it has on this site and across the internet is almost (if not actually) god like. Even CLS has a customer base and they build aircraft for them, not every dev is going after the same market demogrphic.

I think some people just like to fling mud for the sake of it and it really helps no one.

Abacus - another masterpiece, and I'm sure they'll have the remaining tiny details sorted out shortly.

:LMAO: Yeah sure, been waiting for Abacus to make proper commercial airliner for my whole simming career. So far only one commercial developer I have encountered has managed to make worse airliner than Abacus has, they are so horrible in that area.

Then again, Abacus make FSDS, and that was fairly instrumental in building the reputation of Flight Simulator itself, and indeed Avsim, since it made it possible for everyone to get into designing aircraft and scenery for it with relative ease, and it is still a good program for doing that too. Not everything Abacus sell is bad.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Spot on. Thumbs up!

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Ariane - Best prices, transparency and support ever in FS history. Period. :Party:

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Then again, Abacus make FSDS, and that was fairly instrumental in building the reputation of Flight Simulator itself, and indeed Avsim, since it made it possible for everyone to get into designing aircraft and scenery for it with relative ease, and it is still a good program for doing that too. Not everything Abacus sell is bad.

Al

Yes that's true, I was mainly talking about their airliners which are bad, but they indeed have made many very good editors & some decent military airplanes too.

I wasn't actually aware about Abacus having that kind of long and important history in FS community, interesting to hear that.